You are here > Home > Blogpen

13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Blogpen
— Our Blogs and Nothing But Our Blogs

Hall of Merit: Let’s pick a voting system

These were the systems presented. I think we’ve agreed to go with 15 players on the ballot (to increase the penalty for not being named, as well as increase the depth of our research).

1) 70-62-57-53-49-46-43-40-38-36-34-32-30-28-26

This closes the gap between 1 and 15 on the list, and gives a more substantial penalty for not being named on any ballots.

2) 15-14-13-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

This system has larger gaps between the positions (on a percentage basis) and doesn’t penalize a player that is left off that ballot too much (it’s like a 16th place vote really).

3) 20-14-13-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Similar to the previous system, but gives a significant bonus for being dubbed the best player on the ballot.

4) 20-19-18-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 (assuming 3 players get in that year)

This system changes based on the number of players to be elected in a particular season. Basically the same as above, except all players voted into an “election” spot get the six-point bonus.

5) 20-19-18-17-16-15-14-13-12-11-10-9-8-7-6

A combination of the first and last systems. This one increases the penalty for not being on the ballot (larger penalty than the first actually), but still has a very large gap between each spot on the ballot.

Those are the significant contenders as I see them. If I missed one, let me know.

I lean towards system 1. If anyone would like to make any final pitches to sway a “vote” please do. I could see a split vote among the last 4 systems, because they are similar, so maybe we should have some kind of run off to get it down to two, and then a final vote if no system is over 50%? I’m new to this election thing, so if I’m missing something, please let me know so we can choose the system fairly, as it is the backbone of our entire project.

Joey Numbaz (Scruff) Posted: August 30, 2002 at 09:49 PM | 15 comment(s)
  Related News:

Hall of Merit: Summer Vacation Over

Okay, my summer ‘vacation’ is over, almost. I had some personal things to tend to the last month or so, but I’m ready to get cranking again.

I say almost, because I’ll be out of town this weekend, and I’ll be in Vega$ for the first time ever from September 6-10.

Tuesday-Thursday next week, I’ll be working on getting pitcher Win Shares adjusted. I could use some volunteers again as well, drop me an email at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) if you are interested (don’t forget to remove the NOSPAM). Basically, I’ll set up a spreadsheet where you have to put the pitcher WS by season in, and it will adjust automatically. If I can get the form setup by next week (using Charlie Saeger’s formula for splitting pitching/fielding as the backbone), and the volunteers could do the individual pitchers while I’m out West, we could be voting by the time the playoffs start.

We’ve got to decide on a voting system as well. I’ll set up a separate thread for that.

I’ll respond to the email I’ve received from the last month sometime in the next week as well. Thanks for your patience guys.

Joey Numbaz (Scruff) Posted: August 30, 2002 at 09:34 PM | 18 comment(s)
  Related News:

Hall of Merit: Been busy - apology

Guys, I’ve been very busy w/some personal issues the last few weeks. I might be dealing w/these for another week or two. That’s why I’ve practically vanished from this site (all of Primer, not just the HoM) since late July.

I’ll be back with you all shortly. I have been popping in to read every now and then, but I haven’t had any time to do any new work.

If anyone wants to run the formula Charles Saeger gave for pitching vs. fielding for all leagues 1871-1900, that’d be a huge help.

Rob Wood—great work with the voting studies. I guess we are going to have to make up our minds shortly.

Joey Numbaz (Scruff) Posted: August 08, 2002 at 06:14 PM | 0 comment(s)
  Related News:

Hall of Merit: Right Fielders

Here are the right fielders. Jim O’Rourke should be a LF, his stats are now over there.

Joey Numbaz (Scruff) Posted: July 17, 2002 at 10:17 PM | 123 comment(s)
  Related News:

Hall of Merit: Center Fielders

Here are the center fielders. A much better bunch than the LF’s.

Joey Numbaz (Scruff) Posted: July 15, 2002 at 03:34 AM | 106 comment(s)
  Related News:

Hall of Merit: Left Fielders

Here are the left fielders.

Joey Numbaz (Scruff) Posted: July 15, 2002 at 03:22 AM | 39 comment(s)
  Related News:

Hall of Merit: Catchers

Here are the catchers, I’ve updated this thread 9/19/2003. I’m going to remove anyone who isn’t a new eligible, or hasn’t received a vote from these threads; unless he has 175 WS (145 for the catchers), so these threads don’t get too cluttered.

Joey Numbaz (Scruff) Posted: July 13, 2002 at 04:03 AM | 148 comment(s)
  Related News:

Hall of Merit: Shortstops

Here are the SS’s. Pebbly Jack Glasscock is by far the best candidate here. George Wright may have a case on peak value once we have some NA data. Ed McKean has a case he may get in before the next generation’s big guns start hitting the ballot.

Joey Numbaz (Scruff) Posted: July 10, 2002 at 05:52 PM | 360 comment(s)
  Related News:

Hall of Merit: Third Basemen

Here you go . . . Patsy Tebeau has been added at 1B, he’s not a serious candidate though.

I considered Tom Burns a SS as opposed to a 3B, despite the 48%/44% numbers (48% 3B). Burns prime was as a SS, and a bad half-season late in his career that pushed him a little bit ahead on PT as a 3B. It’s a judgement call, and it means nothing, since WS take position into account already.

Ezra Sutton is by far the best candidate at 3B IMHO.

Joey Numbaz (Scruff) Posted: July 10, 2002 at 05:49 PM | 124 comment(s)
  Related News:

Hall of Merit: Distribution list test

I sent an email last night to all ‘registered voters’, who are basically anyone I have in the address book for the Hall of Merit.

If you didn’t get one, and you want to be on the correspondence list, please let me know, by sending an e-mail to me at this address, which is different than the one below; you can copy the .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) address (the one below) as well. I haven’t been checking that one below for some time, it had slipped my mind. Copying my regular home email will remind me to check the other address and get you in the address book . . .

You can also just post to this thread, leaving your email in the appropriate spot on the form.

I guess we can use this thread if someone wants to bring up an administrative issue, or anything else not related to discussing the merits of players.

Joey Numbaz (Scruff) Posted: July 09, 2002 at 11:04 AM | 118 comment(s)
  Related News:

Page 129 of 131 pages ‹ First  < 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 >  | Features Archive | Site Archive

BarrysLazyBoy