Members: Login | Register | Feedback

Pops Freshenmeyer in Chicago from 10/14 through 10/16
Posted: 17 September 2007 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]

I have a conference in Chicago and I will be there for three nights from Sunday through Tuesday.

If anyone has the time to go out that early in the week, post it here.

Posted: 17 September 2007 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

I will be in Washington DC, and unable to make the trip.

Signature 

“Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.” 

“There is soooo much booze here, and no one is drinking it. Why? IT MAKES ME SO MAD.”

Posted: 17 September 2007 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Pops Freshenmeyer - 17 September 2007 04:39 PM

I have a conference in Chicago and I will be there for three nights from Sunday through Tuesday.

If anyone has the time to go out that early in the week, post it here.

Tuesday night may be a possible for me—we’ll see as things draw close.

Posted: 17 September 2007 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

Excellent news, Pops.

The Bears play the Vikings at noon that Sunday. When will you get into town? Tuesday is the one night that I wouldn’t be available among those three nights, although it seems that you will be leaving that day anyway.

Posted: 17 September 2007 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
VG - 17 September 2007 04:47 PM

Excellent news, Pops.

The Bears play the Vikings at noon that Sunday. When will you get into town? Tuesday is the one night that I wouldn’t be available among those three nights, although it seems that you will be leaving that day anyway.

I don’t leave until Wednesday evening.

I think I could do something about that Bears game on Sunday but I would need to do something with my car as I can’t check in until early evening.

Posted: 17 September 2007 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]

I see. I misinterpreted the dates you listed.

Depending on the location, you may be able to find parking—for example, if we go to Jak’s Tap. If we’re up north, I can let you use my parking space.

Would the hotel let you park there before you’re able to check into your room? Or do you already know that this is not an option?

Posted: 17 September 2007 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
VG - 17 September 2007 06:52 PM

I see. I misinterpreted the dates you listed.

Depending on the location, you may be able to find parking—for example, if we go to Jak’s Tap. If we’re up north, I can let you use my parking space.

Would the hotel let you park there before you’re able to check into your room? Or do you already know that this is not an option?

I have no idea but I suppose I can call them.  If so, the more downtown the location the better from my POV.

Posted: 17 September 2007 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

Would the hotel let you park there before you’re able to check into your room?

Yes, they will.  they will charge you, but you can park.  I guarantee it.

Signature 

“Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.” 

“There is soooo much booze here, and no one is drinking it. Why? IT MAKES ME SO MAD.”

Posted: 18 September 2007 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]

they will charge you, but you can park.

No doubt that there’s a parking charge, but I wonder if he’s already getting charged for that day anyway—IOW, it’s probably the same to park there at 11:30 a.m. or at 4:30 p.m. Maybe.

Posted: 19 September 2007 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]

I’ll be around that week, but probably unable to meet for the Bears game.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 28 September 2007 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]

OK, as it turns out, I am no longer free on Oct. 14. I should be available on the night of Oct. 15, however.

Posted: 10 October 2007 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
VG - 28 September 2007 07:58 PM

OK, as it turns out, I am no longer free on Oct. 14. I should be available on the night of Oct. 15, however.

That’s good because I was going to say substantially the same thing.

Posted: 10 October 2007 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]

Pops, I was just about to email you to see if we could work out the schedule.

How does Oct. 15 work for everyone? Suggestions on a venue/neighborhood?

Posted: 11 October 2007 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
VG - 10 October 2007 09:52 PM

Pops, I was just about to email you to see if we could work out the schedule.

How does Oct. 15 work for everyone? Suggestions on a venue/neighborhood?

It’s good for me.  I’m fine with any venue so long as it’s accessible from the El.

Posted: 15 October 2007 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]

OK, I’m here in Chicago…

Posted: 15 October 2007 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]

Pops, sorry, we’re really dropping the ball here.

Depending on who can make it, I’m suggesting Jaks Tap around 6-6:30 p.m. Jaks is near the Halsted-UIC stop on the Blue Line.

Other possibilities could be somewhere in the Loop or up on the North Side. We’ll make sure to pick someplace close to the El.

Posted: 15 October 2007 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]

Sorry, but I can’t make it Monday night—I have a class in Evanston.

Posted: 15 October 2007 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]

Monday night works for me.  VG’s suggestion of Jak’s at 6 is fine as well.

Signature 

I wanted, I think, to acknowledge Luck: the chance of it, the benevolence of it in my life, and the brutality of it in the lives of others; made especially savage for children because they may not be allowed the good fortune of a lifetime to correct it. - Paul Newman, on why he created the Hole in the Wall Camp.

Posted: 15 October 2007 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]

I can meet at Jak’s, but I’m coming from the west burbs.  So I might not make it until closer to 7.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 15 October 2007 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]

As I mentioned before, something came up and I’m out for Monday.  Bleagh.

Signature 

I wanted, I think, to acknowledge Luck: the chance of it, the benevolence of it in my life, and the brutality of it in the lives of others; made especially savage for children because they may not be allowed the good fortune of a lifetime to correct it. - Paul Newman, on why he created the Hole in the Wall Camp.

Posted: 15 October 2007 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]

Pops, I Primer mailed this to you, but just in case you don’t have access to it:

Jaks Tap is at 901 W. Jackson Blvd. Take the Blue Line (the one that says Forest Park or 54/Cermak, but not the O’Hare) to the UIC-Halsted stop. When you exit the train, walk west on the platform (this is the same direction in which your train is moving) and exit on that end of the platform. I think that will put you on Peoria Street. Make a right turn (north) when you exit the station and walk about two blocks. Jaks is at the corner of Peoria and Jackson.

Posted: 20 October 2007 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]

Who won the meet-up?

Signature 

Is there aught we hold in common with the greedy parasite,
Who would lash us into serfdom and would crush us with his might?
Is there anything left to us but to organize and fight?