Members: Login | Register | Feedback

If there is a 4 way tie in the AL, what are the tiebreakers?
Posted: 20 September 2007 02:20 AM   [ Ignore ]

If BOS, NYY, ANA, and CLE all end up with the same record, how is it determined which teams would play each other in the first playoff round?

Posted: 20 September 2007 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

To try to answer my own question, would it simply be that NYY and BOS would play a tiebreaker to see who wins the division, following which CLE and ANA would play a tiebreaker where the winner gets the loser of the AL East tiebreaker game (the Wild Card team), and the loser gets the winner of the AL East tiebreaker game?

Posted: 20 September 2007 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

I think the short answer is that you put all four managers in a room with Bud Selig and when Bud explodes after being told all four teams are tied the two skippers covered in the most Bud guts get home field.

Seriously, this article from last year comes close to explaining it. But I really doubt MLB has a procedure for all four teams being tied.

Posted: 20 September 2007 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

The Yankees won the season series with the Sox, so they win the division and the Sox get the wildcard. I believe seeding among the three division winners is then determined by their records in games against one another.

Posted: 20 September 2007 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]

there are no tie breaking games to determine seeding.

Because the yankees beat boston head to head, boston is the wild card and 4 seed.

From there, it gets weird.

Signature 

“Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.”

Posted: 20 September 2007 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]

Ok, so we know that Boston, by virtue of being the WC is seed #4.

1: ?
2: ?
3: ?
4: Boston

After that, it is VERY confusing. The Yankees destoyed Cleveland head-to-head (6-0) but lost to the Angles (3-6). The Angels meanwhile tied aganist the Indians (5-5). Best as I can tell, that gives the Angels a 1-0-1, the Yankees 1-1-0 and the Indians 0-1-1. So I’ll assume it’s

Red Sox @ Angels
Indians @ Yankees

The chance of this happening has to be like, an eighth of a percent, though.

Posted: 22 September 2007 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]

1. Angels. They’re 11-8 vs. the other two teams combined.
2. Yankees. They’re 9-6 vs. the other two teams combined.
3. Indians. They’re 5-11 against the other two teams combined.
4. Red Sox. They lose the head-to-head tiebreaker with the Yankees.

For the first three, it’s scenario #8 in this: http://www.baseball-reference.com/about/division_ties.shtml

Posted: 22 September 2007 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

How is 11-8 better than 9-6?