Members: Login | Register | Feedback

Harold in Chicago, meetup Saturday 9/29
Posted: 27 September 2007 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]

So apologies for organizing this meetup with such short notice.  I will be in Chicago this weekend, and it looks like Saturday afternoon/evening/night will be the best time for the meetup.  We can discuss particulars in this thread, but I will keep this post updated via edits with the details.

My brother, his fiancee and I will gather at a sports bar to watch the Cal-Oregon game at 2:30pm Chicago time.  Unfortunately, at this time I don’t remember the name of the bar.  It is the bar where Cal alums congregate to watch Cal games, and my brother vouches that it is a terrific sports bar.

I’m thinking that the meetup can either be during the game or immediately after.  We can meetup at this sports bar, or somewhere else nearby if this place isn’t conducive to a meetup.  The problems with meeting up during the game are that (a) my attention will be on the game, and not as much towards the company and (b) that it’s kind of in the middle of the day.  But whatever works for the majority of the Primates is good for me.

Signature 

Check out the Lounge NFL season-long margin pool standings!  Can anybody catch Flounder?  Suckiest Sucks need the Steelers to outplay the Eagles, and Mug needs the Chargers to outplay the Colts.

Posted: 27 September 2007 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

I feel bad about the short notice, and I do want to hang out with the Chicago Primates I know.  If Saturday doesn’t work, I’m in town till Monday afternoon, so another possibility is lunch Monday.

Signature 

Check out the Lounge NFL season-long margin pool standings!  Can anybody catch Flounder?  Suckiest Sucks need the Steelers to outplay the Eagles, and Mug needs the Chargers to outplay the Colts.

Posted: 27 September 2007 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

If you can get me the name of the bar, I’ll probably stop by.  Might only be for a couple of hours, and it might be during the game.  Say, 4-6 or so.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 27 September 2007 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

Saturday will be tough for me. TMG and I will be out in the suburbs on wedding-related matters. Harold, I still have your cellphone number, so I’ll call you when we’re headed back into the city.

Posted: 27 September 2007 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]

Unfortunately, (or fortunately!) I have tickets to the Brewers game on Saturday.  So I don’t think I’ll be able to make it down for a meetup that day.  But definitely let me know if you’re coming up on Sunday.  I’m sure we’ll be able to figure something out, even if it’s just a quick meal or something.

Posted: 27 September 2007 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]

I have Mini-Manny this weekend, so it may be tough for me.  I could definitely do a lunch thing on either Saturday or Sunday, but I’m not sure a sports bar would work out.  Dinner after the game would be a possibility too, I suppose.

Signature 

I wanted, I think, to acknowledge Luck: the chance of it, the benevolence of it in my life, and the brutality of it in the lives of others; made especially savage for children because they may not be allowed the good fortune of a lifetime to correct it. - Paul Newman, on why he created the Hole in the Wall Camp.

Posted: 27 September 2007 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]

The bar is called Joe’s and it’s at 940 W Weed. It’s right by the North/Clybourn Red Line stop.

Scotto, lunch Sunday is probably out, but lunch or dinner Saturday are possibilities.  Vince, the bar is a starting point, I assume.  We’ll be downtown all evening/night, I assume, so if you call, we should be able to make something work.

Signature 

Posted: 27 September 2007 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

dJF just forwarded the details to me; I might be able to make Saturday afternoon, at least for a bit.  It’d be fun to share that rare occasion when I root for the Padres with an actual San Diegan.

Posted: 27 September 2007 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]

Incidentally—I know this is a big city and all, but I think it’s kind of bizarre that there’s a Cal bar here.

Posted: 27 September 2007 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]

There’s also a purportedly fine, uh, gentlemen’s club in the immediate vicinity of Joe’s for those into that sort of thing.

Posted: 27 September 2007 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
retro-shiite - 27 September 2007 04:06 PM

There’s also a purportedly fine, uh, gentlemen’s club in the immediate vicinity of Joe’s for those into that sort of thing.

Now there’s an educational opportunity for Mini-Manny!

Signature 

I wanted, I think, to acknowledge Luck: the chance of it, the benevolence of it in my life, and the brutality of it in the lives of others; made especially savage for children because they may not be allowed the good fortune of a lifetime to correct it. - Paul Newman, on why he created the Hole in the Wall Camp.

Posted: 27 September 2007 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Harold - 27 September 2007 03:41 PM

The bar is called Joe’s and it’s at 940 W Weed. It’s right by the North/Clybourn Red Line stop.

Scotto, lunch Sunday is probably out, but lunch or dinner Saturday are possibilities.  Vince, the bar is a starting point, I assume.  We’ll be downtown all evening/night, I assume, so if you call, we should be able to make something work.

Joe’s is a large place and will have a ton of games going.  Should be good, but it’s not a “Cal” bar by any means; it’s been “adopted” by many schools.

I should be available Saturday, I believe.  I can also do Monday lunch too.

Posted: 27 September 2007 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
scotto - 27 September 2007 04:22 PM
retro-shiite - 27 September 2007 04:06 PM

Now there’s an educational opportunity for Mini-Manny!

Crazy Horse!

Posted: 27 September 2007 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]

Heh, Joe’s isn’t really a Cal bar.  Joe’s on Weed is technically a Big Ten bar, but it’s a huge place and is a good place to watch every game that’s on any given day.  So you could probably find an alum of just about major school that has a game.  And, there will be mostly Big Ten fans there, and a good number of them will be Illini fans. 

The strip club in that area is VIP, and it is a pretty shitty one, if ask me.  It’s in city limits and they serve (really, really overpriced) liquor.  Put those together and you’ll see what I mean.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 27 September 2007 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]

Well, for reasons that I won’t go into I seem to have Saturday afternoon and evening available now.  Thus I am free for whatever suitable debauchery may arise.  Huzzah!

Signature 

Posted: 27 September 2007 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
scotto - 27 September 2007 06:34 PM

Well, for reasons that I won’t go into I seem to have Saturday afternoon and evening available now.  Thus I am free for whatever suitable debauchery may arise.  Huzzah!

Strippers for everyone! I’m flying back into town for this! Wooo boobs!

I kid, I kid.

Posted: 27 September 2007 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
retro-shiite - 27 September 2007 04:05 PM

Incidentally—I know this is a big city and all, but I think it’s kind of bizarre that there’s a Cal bar here.

It’s not a Cal bar, but a sports bar where the Cal alumni club goes.

There’s a sports bar here in SD that has done phenomenally well for itself for catering to alumni clubs.  They invited the alumni clubs over and offer them 10% off (either a discount, or in the form of a donation to the club/school/whatever).  The clubs like it.  The bar has had to expand twice (or has been able to expand twice).  I think they’re completely packed on Saturdays; they could invite more clubs, but don’t have room for them.

Signature 

Posted: 28 September 2007 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Moses Taylor, Optimist - 27 September 2007 05:16 PM

Heh, Joe’s isn’t really a Cal bar.  Joe’s on Weed is technically a Big Ten bar, but it’s a huge place and is a good place to watch every game that’s on any given day.

Yeah, my brother suggested watching the game there rather than at home since there’ll be a couple tables of Cal alumni, and we’ll be able to watch all the other games.  And because he only has a 20” TV, as I remembered today (as I was saying in the lounge today, when it comes to actually watching the game, it’s much better at home for me, thanks to my TV and DVR, and going to a bar is trading off quality for atmosphere).

Signature 

Posted: 28 September 2007 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Moses Taylor, Optimist - 27 September 2007 05:16 PM

The strip club in that area is VIP, and it is a pretty shitty one, if ask me.  It’s in city limits and they serve (really, really overpriced) liquor.  Put those together and you’ll see what I mean.

Pasties and G-strings.

Posted: 28 September 2007 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]

OK, so I’ve left things pretty wide open as to the plans on Saturday, so we should get specific.  And now, I’m going to put that burden on you guys.  So I will be at Joe’s from (at latest) 2:30 till (at least) 6pm, and then I will be up for eating and drinking anywhere in that vicinity the rest of the night.  It sounds like Retro can only make the afternoon (4-6), and Vince can only make it later that night, and scotto and djf are free all aftenoon/evening/night.  While I’m down for hanging out with you guys whenever, if you guys want to pick a time to meet so that we can all be in one place at the same time, I’m game.

My cell # is 858-232-7995.  I will likely be at the Cal tables at Joe’s by 2:30pm.  Like I said, I want to hang out with all of you guys, and I’m pretty open to anything Saturday afternoon/evening/night, but if you guys settle on a meetup time/place, I’ll be there.

And we still need to get JV involved, it seems, since he said we was willing to come down from Madison but hasn’t responded to this thread yet.

Signature 

Posted: 28 September 2007 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]

mrs scotto noted the following as a potential dinner spot: Chicago’s Premiere Indian Restaurant & Sports Bar - Karma Crossing at 2165 N. Western Ave (773) 321 - 6435.  She saw some photos of the place. It doesn’t look like one of those trendy spots but rather down to earth and has a pool table too.

It’s a new place that a friend of a friend of hers opened recently.  I have no idea about the food quality, but I’m sure if there’s a test match on we could watch it.

Signature 

Posted: 28 September 2007 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]

Interesting, I haven’t seen that place before, but it right by my apartment.  If you guys ended up there, I’d absolutely have to show up. 

But Saturday isn’t looking that good for me at the moment, but I’ll do my best to make an appearance somewhere at some point.

Signature 

Posted: 28 September 2007 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]

In recent years, I’ve heard that Joe’s has started to suck.  Like they reserve a ton of space for clubs and stuff so if you’re a regular guy, it kind of blows.  But if UC Berkeley’s club is there, it will probably be OK. 

VIPs, on the other hand, totally sucks as a strip club.  Latex on the nipples, so the breasts look really strange.  Expensive.  And don’t ever give them a phone number or they’ll keep calling you for “giveaways”, which are basically offers to get in free and pay $10 for a beer.

Posted: 29 September 2007 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]

I just realized, North/Clybourn on a Saturday.  I will have fun parking.  I may just have to suck it up and public transit it.

Signature 

Posted: 29 September 2007 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Shredder - 28 September 2007 08:08 PM

And don’t ever give them a phone number or they’ll keep calling you for “giveaways”, which are basically offers to get in free and pay $10 for a beer.

Allegedly, of course.