Members: Login | Register | Feedback

International Bowl Mania! (1/4-1/5)
Posted: 07 December 2007 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]

Okay, it’s official, I have my tickets, I’ll be heading up to Toronto to cheer on the Scarlet Knights in the International Bowl on Saturday, January 5.

It’s not clear at this point whether I’m going alone or if I’m dragging my sister along for company.  (It’s not on her way back to Michigan from Jersey, but it’s not the most ridiculous detour, either.  Well, IMO it isn’t.)  If I’m by myself, I’ll be taking the train from NY and staying downtown.  If she comes along, we’ll be driving and I’ll probably find some cheaper place on the outskirts.

In either case, my plan is to travel up there on Thursday, do some sightseeing on Friday, and the game Saturday afternoon.  It sounded like some Primates were going to the game as well, so we could possibly meetup there, and then grab dinner a little afterwards, and anybody not interested in the Big East-MAC tilt could come by then.  But my plans are pretty fluid, and if Friday night works better, that’s reasonable too.

Signature 

The rhetorical oracle sings.

Posted: 07 December 2007 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

I can probably make it.  I will keep checking to see what the plans are.  I won’t be going to the football game, though.

Posted: 07 December 2007 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

I’m up for either Friday or Saturday, and am better than 50/50 for the game…

Signature 

Everybody that you know…is more relevant…than everybody that I know.
- J. Murphy

Posted: 10 December 2007 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

Devin, try emailing Craig, he’s interested in the game.  I should be up for either day.

Signature 

Everybody’s doing it…

My retirement plan

Posted: 13 December 2007 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]

Cool, sounds like we could have a good-sized group.  rawagman said he’d like to try to make it as well.

It definitely looks like my sister will be coming along, which means I’ll be driving up.  But that means I could use some advice on hotels.  As far as I can tell, most of the options are either right downtown, or out by the airport.  Now, ideally, I’d like to find a place that is outside of downtown (because it’s cheaper), but close to a subway so we don’t have to drive in.  The airport places seem to mess up the second part, if I’m reading the maps right.  Does anybody have any suggestions?

Oh, and dumb question, Paul, but which Craig?  (I think I know, but I’d rather be sure before I send an e-mail.)

Signature 

Posted: 14 December 2007 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Devin McCullen and the Epileptic Trees - 13 December 2007 10:49 PM

Cool, sounds like we could have a good-sized group.  rawagman said he’d like to try to make it as well.

It definitely looks like my sister will be coming along, which means I’ll be driving up.  But that means I could use some advice on hotels.  As far as I can tell, most of the options are either right downtown, or out by the airport.  Now, ideally, I’d like to find a place that is outside of downtown (because it’s cheaper), but close to a subway so we don’t have to drive in.  The airport places seem to mess up the second part, if I’m reading the maps right.  Does anybody have any suggestions?

Oh, and dumb question, Paul, but which Craig?  (I think I know, but I’d rather be sure before I send an e-mail.)

Craig B, AKA JLAC.

Signature 

Everybody’s doing it…

My retirement plan

Posted: 14 December 2007 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]

It definitely looks like my sister will be coming along, which means I’ll be driving up.

Devin McCullen and the Epileptic Trees - 07 December 2007 10:24 PM

Okay, it’s official, I have my tickets, I’ll be heading up to Toronto to cheer on the Scarlet Knights in the International Bowl on Saturday, January 5.

It’s not clear at this point whether I’m going alone or if I’m dragging my sister along for company.  (It’s not on her way back to Michigan from Jersey, but it’s not the most ridiculous detour, either.  Well, IMO it isn’t.)

Your sister sounds hot. And I like her car. Her sweet sweet car.

Posted: 14 December 2007 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

And also. I hear driving to MI is more fun on Saturday nights than Sunday mornings. Sweet sweet Sunday mornings.

Posted: 16 December 2007 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]

There really aren’t any hotels that are on the subway line.  There are cheaper downtown hotels.  There is a Holiday Inn Express on Adelaide that is about a 20 minute walk to the Dome.  The Holiday Inn on King is very well situated (3 minute walk from the Dome) and shouldn’t be too pricy.

Posted: 17 December 2007 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Daryn - 16 December 2007 02:16 AM

There really aren’t any hotels that are on the subway line.  There are cheaper downtown hotels.  There is a Holiday Inn Express on Adelaide that is about a 20 minute walk to the Dome.  The Holiday Inn on King is very well situated (3 minute walk from the Dome) and shouldn’t be too pricy.

What about the Travelodge on King?  It’s a bit farther, but still walkable to the Dome, and I’m guessing cheaper.

Signature 

Everybody’s doing it…

My retirement plan

Posted: 17 December 2007 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]

My parents sometimes stay at The Delta Chelsea on Gerrard
I did a quick search, and there are rooms on Thursday starting at $139.  This is not really walking distance to the Dome (half an hour to 45 min), so if the prices are comparable, i’d suggest the places Daryn suggested.  This is near the subway though, and might be an option if you’re looking to save money.

Signature 

Everybody’s doing it…

My retirement plan

Posted: 17 December 2007 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]

The Holiday Inn Express is $109 per night on the Thursday and Friday.  Its address is Lombard, but it is on Adelaide.

The Strathcona is the classic close to Dome hotel.  It is $114 a night.  It has an undeserved seedy reputation.  It is actually fine, and very convenient.

Posted: 23 December 2007 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]

Hey, sorry for the silence, it’s a combo of my slacking and then deciding to wait until my sister got back to Jersey to hash everything out.

Thanks for the hotel suggestions.  We’re going with the Holiday Inn Express.  Unfortunately, Daryn, the “undeserved seedy reputation” line got the Strathcona shot right down.

And I did cave in, so we’re leaving Saturday night.  So, if we are going to do a meetup, it would have to be on Friday night.  Hopefully folks can make it, but I understand it’s not the longest notice in the world.

Signature 

Posted: 31 December 2007 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]

So Devin, you’re coming into town on Thursday, and Friday is potential meetup night?  I assume you have your tickets to the game?  I’m still working on organizing our crew.  Not sure what’s happening, people have been backing out, but hopefully I’ll be getting tickets shortly.

Signature 

Everybody’s doing it…

My retirement plan

Posted: 01 January 2008 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Devin McCullen in Flame Broiled…TO HELL! - 23 December 2007 05:41 AM

Hey, sorry for the silence, it’s a combo of my slacking and then deciding to wait until my sister got back to Jersey to hash everything out.

Thanks for the hotel suggestions.  We’re going with the Holiday Inn Express.  Unfortunately, Daryn, the “undeserved seedy reputation” line got the Strathcona shot right down.

And I did cave in, so we’re leaving Saturday night.  So, if we are going to do a meetup, it would have to be on Friday night.  Hopefully folks can make it, but I understand it’s not the longest notice in the world.

Given that it has gotten a bit cold, your best bet to get into the entertainment district from the HIE is a $10/5 minute cab ride or walk two minutes south to King and take the King Streetcar west ($2.75 per person).

Posted: 02 January 2008 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]

Yes, that’s right, Paul, assuming there’s no weather issues driving up.  It doesn’t look like it right now, but given that upstate NY is talking about snow overnight, ending by the morning, I can’t be totally sure there won’t be complications.

And I have my tickets, bought them through Rutgers, so I’m in their section.  But it doesn’t sound like moving around will be a big problem.

Any suggestions on a site for Friday night?  A sports bar/casual restaurant is what I was figuring, but you guys know what the options are.

Signature 

Posted: 03 January 2008 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]

Who else is in?  Thoughts?  Considering where Devin is staying, maybe the Bier Market? (http://www.thebiermarkt.com/)

Devin, there are some decent, but maybe a little pricey, bars in that neighbourhood.  It depends on how much you want to travel Friday night.  It’s going to be cold, so bar hopping may not be all that fun.

Signature 

Everybody’s doing it…

My retirement plan

Posted: 03 January 2008 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]

I finally got tickets.  200 section, north endzone.  I might have a couple of extras, so if anyone is looking for more tickets, let me know.  (Again, this is still up in the air, I’m not sure if I’ll have extra tickets).  Game is noon on Saturday.

Signature 

Everybody’s doing it…

My retirement plan

Posted: 04 January 2008 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]

Okay, I’ve made it to the Great White North.  Paul, being close to my hotel isn’t that huge a deal, because I’ll probably be out somewhere sightseeing during the day, so I should be able to get to anywhere downtown without too much difficulty.  The other thing is that I don’t drink, so picking a place with a lot of different beers on tap isn’t a huge selling point for me.  I’m not complaining about your suggestion, if it’s a good place to eat and talk, that’s all I need.

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2008 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]

Ah okay. In that case I’d suggest we avoid that place then, it’s kind of pricey, and will be busy on Friday night. If you’re just looking for someone to chill out and meet each other, there’s a bar on Yonge Street called Hoops that will have the Raptors game on.  I’m guessing the good is typical pub food, but it might be a bit more chilled out and relaxed.  I’m supposed to be heading to a bar for a birthday party around 10PM or so, and you’re welcome to join me if you still feel like going out (or not).  I’m guessing no other Toronto primates are coming out?

Signature 

Everybody’s doing it…

My retirement plan

Posted: 04 January 2008 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]

OK, that sounds pretty good.  I should be able to find that.  Figure on meeting around 7:00 or so?  I’ll be the guy wearing the Rutgers hooded sweatshirt - hopefully the only one.  I’m not sure if anybody else will make it - folks said they would be checking the thread, so we’ll see what happens.

Oh, and my seats for the game are in Section 130, Row 32.

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2008 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]

It’s at Yonge and College:
http://www.toronto.com/restaurants/listing/000-212-626

If you’re going to be doing any shopping, the Eaton’s Centre, Toronto’s big mall, is just south of there.

Signature 

Everybody’s doing it…

My retirement plan

Posted: 04 January 2008 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]

Also, I have one extra ticket to the International Bowl if anyone’s looking.  $18.50, email my primer email.

Signature 

Everybody’s doing it…

My retirement plan

Posted: 06 January 2008 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]

Devin was the guy I saw on TV with the “Castrate Ball State” sign, right?

Signature 

Is there aught we hold in common with the greedy parasite,
Who would lash us into serfdom and would crush us with his might?
Is there anything left to us but to organize and fight?

Posted: 07 January 2008 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Wigbolt, Son of Focko Ripperda (bka rLr) - 06 January 2008 08:55 PM

Devin was the guy I saw on TV with the “Castrate Ball State” sign, right?

Um, no.  But I doubt ESPN showed the banner on the other side that read “GO BALLS”.  (I guess you had to imagine the space before the S.)

Signature