Members: Login | Register | Feedback

What was the First Ballpark Built to Last?
Posted: 22 December 2007 02:19 AM   [ Ignore ]

Hello, fellow fans of the great game baseball. I come to you on this very day, a day for you to keep remembrance. to ask a question of importance, sparked by the ignorance in my possession which is the spotted reason for its actual existence. The question formerly mentioned shall be asked in this way:

As I sit here, with keyboard by the in front, typing on it presently with ideas, spread out upon words, I ask, with humble expectance in my feelings, the question you of the readers will hopefully answer:

Which ballpark was the first built to last? I have read in the book of James and his abstract that the first park of baseball built for this purpose was the old Sportsman’s Park of St. Louis. However, it has come upon my knowledge that some claim that Shibe Park, which lasted years longer, was, in actuality, built first. I will be, I assure you, waiting for your answer in the future that is to come.

Marry Christmas!

- Ortiz34fan

Posted: 08 January 2008 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but perhaps Forbes Field in 1909?  It “lasted” until the Pirates 1970 season, and was used by the Steelers, for boxing and other bizarre events.  Check amazon.com for an excellent new book that just came out called simply “Forbes Field”.  Released in Fall of 2007.  Thanks.

Posted: 02 April 2009 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

I would have to say Forbes Field…which was a departure from the grand-stand model of parks up to that point.