Members: Login | Register | Feedback

2 of 5
NYC Meetup July 18, 2008, Yankee Stadium.
Posted: 02 June 2008 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Shooty misses Bill King - 01 June 2008 11:42 PM

CrosbyBird? My friends, if you can know only one thing in this life, know that Chad Johnson’s nom de plume is this godforsaken place is Shooty. Shooty! I scored free tix for this game from work so I’ll be sitting in the yuppie seats, being served crap beer and nachos by a sweaty waiter. I would be up for drinking afterwards, though. Have you guys thought of a post-game watering hole yet? A place called Citibar on the Upper Eastside would be good for a group of 8 or so. It’s always empty, they have big tables and they usually have 4 or 5 games going at once on the dish. Plus I feel it’s my personal responsibility to keep the place in business. It’s one of those places that tries really hard but can’t quite get it to work, like Babu’s diner. Of course, with my luck of good deedery, the place is probably a mafia front. Ah well. This is the life I’ve chosen…

Well, if it’s any consolation, being that you’re an A’s fan, I just assumed you lived in Oakland.

I’m assuming anywhere and everywhere is going to be pretty full since it’s a Friday night, but if Citibar is really likely to be empty that’s fine. Otherwise, we might consider somewhere a bit closer to a stop on the 4, since it’s a bit of a walk from the train otherwise.

At the moment, here’s those I have as confirmed:

Myself
SJ
AZ
MHS
Scoriano
Ace1412

HCO and Dial have boh expressed interest, but I want to get a confirm again from them before I buy the tickets. Howard Megdal might come, he’s tentative until the drop dead date. Levski can’t make it, I’m still waiting to hear from a couple of others.

If anyone else is interested, direct them here. One week to go.

Posted: 02 June 2008 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]

I am pretty sure HCO is in.  Dial is golfing with yus the next day, So I assume he would be in.

Signature 

“I like the words you use. Words in general”. - Juan Pablo.

Posted: 02 June 2008 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]

Still in.

Signature 

Amtrak train 288 with engine 707’s got a clear signal at CP 188, track 2 east.

Posted: 02 June 2008 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]

Hey AZ.  what time would we rise for a 10 AM tee time?

Signature 

Posted: 03 June 2008 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]

CrosbyBird?

A thousand pardons, good sir.

RB in NYC (Now with an Apartment!) - 02 June 2008 01:31 PM

Well, if it’s any consolation, being that you’re an A’s fan, I just assumed you lived in Oakland.

Shooty’s not alone, either—we’re everywhere.

Ace1412

This must be karma for my “CrosbyBird” faux pas.

Posted: 03 June 2008 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
ACE1242 - 03 June 2008 06:03 PM

CrosbyBird?

A thousand pardons, good sir.

RB in NYC (Now with an Apartment!) - 02 June 2008 01:31 PM

Shooty’s not alone, either—we’re everywhere.

Ace1412

This must be karma for my “CrosbyBird” faux pas.

Well, I got “Ace” in there, followed by some numbers. Close enough.

Posted: 04 June 2008 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]

AZ mentioned this to me.  I can swing down from Connecticut.

Signature 

Designated Sitter: Occasionally brilliant, always astigamatic.

Posted: 04 June 2008 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Gary Geiger Counter - 04 June 2008 04:58 PM

Who are you, again?

Signature 

But, I digress.

Posted: 04 June 2008 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]

I suppose this is as good a place as any for this type of announcement:

AZ - 04 June 2008 02:48 PM

I am considering going to this:

A truly unique and rare opportunity to witness the greatest game ever played at Yankee Stadium. Come see the original TV broadcast of Game 5 of the 1956 World Series when Yankees hurler Don Larsen pitched a perfect

Posted: 04 June 2008 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
AZ - 04 June 2008 02:48 PM

I am considering going to this:

A truly unique and rare opportunity to witness the greatest game ever played at Yankee Stadium. Come see the original TV broadcast of Game 5 of the 1956 World Series when Yankees hurler Don Larsen pitched a perfect

I think I’m more interested in that for the commercials than for the game.

EDIT: Eight hours later, fixed Unionized tags.

Signature 

Amtrak train 288 with engine 707’s got a clear signal at CP 188, track 2 east.

Posted: 04 June 2008 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Scoriano Flitcraft - 04 June 2008 05:07 PM
Gary Geiger Counter - 04 June 2008 04:58 PM

Who are you, again?

Homer Simpson.

Signature 

Designated Sitter: Occasionally brilliant, always astigamatic.

Posted: 04 June 2008 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]

You know, I’d love to go to this—I’ve got family in the city, I have that day off (though I work the night before)... but I don’t think I can afford to drop the money on gas and tickets that it would require.  Have fun anyway.

Signature 

Chariots chariots

Posted: 04 June 2008 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]

DLM: ask RB to keep you posted.  I’m sure someone will end up backing out after committing to it, so you could have that ticket.  Either take the Chinatown bus or hide in SJ’s golf travel bag.  Check with Dial—not sure if he’s driving, maybe you could meet him somewhere.

Posted: 05 June 2008 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
AZ - 04 June 2008 10:13 PM

DLM: ask RB to keep you posted.  I’m sure someone will end up backing out after committing to it, so you could have that ticket.  Either take the Chinatown bus or hide in SJ’s golf travel bag.  Check with Dial—not sure if he’s driving, maybe you could meet him somewhere.

Well, if there’s a backout, you know how to reach me.

Signature 

Chariots chariots

Posted: 07 June 2008 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]

Ok, we’re approaching the Drop Dead Date. My current list is:

Myself
SJ
AZ
MHS
Scoriano
Ace1412
HCO
Dial
GGC

Larry has mentioned that rLr will be getting him a ticket so I assuming, tentatively, that rLr and Larry are also on the list. If someone could post a confirmation to that effect, I’d appreciate it. I’m also waiting on seeing if Howard Megdal can make the game. And we’ll meet-up with Shooty afterwards for those folks who are interested in going boozin’.

As for the tickets themselves, I’m aiming to keep them under $50. If Stub Hub lets me get them with enough lead-time, I’m happy to mail them to anyone who wants. Otherwise we’ll just distribute at the game. I trust everyone enough that you don’t need to send me checks or anything before hand. In fact, all things considered, cash would work better but I’m flexible.

Any late Yes or No on attendance should be posted soon. I’ll buy the tickets on Monday.

Posted: 08 June 2008 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]

I’m planning to go but can’t guarantee.

Signature 

Is there aught we hold in common with the greedy parasite,
Who would lash us into serfdom and would crush us with his might?
Is there anything left to us but to organize and fight?

Posted: 08 June 2008 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]

rLr- I’ll take you up on your offer, I’ve made arrangement to stay at my aunt’s house in Queens after the game, so I’ll be able to drive up that morning and drive home the next day.

Signature 

Chariots chariots

Posted: 08 June 2008 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
rLr Has A Structured Settlement, Needs Cash Now - 08 June 2008 03:37 AM

Well, not to be difficult, but does that mean I should buy tickets on your and Larry’s account or no? For obvious reasons, I’m reluctant to purchase $100 worth of tickets that I may later have to eat the cost of.

Edit: To add, browsing StubHub, it looks like we’re heading for the bleachers, or for tickets closer to $75 than $50.

Posted: 08 June 2008 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RB in NYC (Now with an Apartment!) - 08 June 2008 03:42 PM

Well, not to be difficult, but does that mean I should buy tickets on your and Larry’s account or no? For obvious reasons, I’m reluctant to purchase $100 worth of tickets that I may later have to eat the cost of.

I’ll have to get a hold of my aunt, but if rLr can’t go my aunt may be willing to buy the ticket and my cousin would come with me.  But I have no idea if that’s a real possibility, as I haven’t asked yet.

Signature 

Chariots chariots

Posted: 08 June 2008 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]

My aunt says she’ll buy rLr’s ticket for my cousin if he can’t come, so try to make a final decision by the week of the game, rLr, so we can plan.

Signature 

Chariots chariots

Posted: 08 June 2008 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]

Count me in. I am 90% to go.

Signature 

Is there aught we hold in common with the greedy parasite,
Who would lash us into serfdom and would crush us with his might?
Is there anything left to us but to organize and fight?

Posted: 08 June 2008 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
rLr Has A Structured Settlement, Needs Cash Now - 08 June 2008 04:16 PM

Count me in. I am 90% to go.

My cousin will be crushed! ;-)

Signature 

Chariots chariots

Posted: 09 June 2008 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RB in NYC (Now with an Apartment!) - 08 June 2008 03:42 PM

Edit: To add, browsing StubHub, it looks like we’re heading for the bleachers, or for tickets closer to $75 than $50.

Bleachers are fine with me, I don’t have to drink to have a good time, besides, I have never sat in the bleachers.  I just can’t afford $75, plus the expense of getting up there and back.

RF if possible, correct?

Signature 

Posted: 09 June 2008 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]

oh, and call the ticketmaster directly before we pay $50 for a bleacher seat, online, they only look for 10 in a row, but there could be 10 in a section somewhere, separated by a couple rows.

Signature 

Posted: 09 June 2008 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]

We have, what, 11 or 12 people coming?  Aside from SABR, that’s a huge concentration of baseball nerdery.  Are we painting out chests or anything?  I suggesting T-H-I-N-K-F-A-C-T-O-R-Y or something like that.  Maybe W-W-W-.-B-B-T-F-.-O-R-G.

2 of 5