Members: Login | Register | Feedback

intro to sabermetrics?
Posted: 06 May 2006 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]

after (somewhat unknowingly) introducing my girlfriend to sabermetrics, she’s ravenous to know more and tends to ask questions i don’t have answers to. does anyone know of a good book that would serve as a comprehensive intro to sabermetrics and baseball stats in general? she’s halfway through a masters in math, so anything number heavy would be fine, and she wants something that can acquaint her with hardcore stuff as well as simpler, every day stats. any help would be greatly appreciated, as she’s now expecting this for her quickly approaching birthday. thanks.

Posted: 14 May 2006 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

You might try The Numbers Game, by Alan Scwartz, as an intro to/history of sabermetrics.  Beyond that, there’s tons of good stuff.  The BPro annuals, the Hardball Times annuals, Win Shares (Bill James), The Book (MGL, Tango, Dolphin), John Dewan’s The Fielding Bible...hope that helps a little.

Signature 

—————————————————-
Dig it.

Posted: 15 May 2006 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

indeed, thanks for your help. i’ll check all of them out.

Posted: 24 June 2006 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

I’d start out with Moneyball by Michael Lewis. Lewis is such a great writer that it really adds to the “aura” of Bill James, Voros McCracken, and others.

The Numbers Game is also fantastic, but it’s a history more than anything else. I think Moneyball and The Numbers Game provide a good base of sabermetrics. If she really gets interested, the writing of Bill James, Baseball Prospectus, or any other sabermetricians (Dewan, Tango, Pete Palmer) is fantastic.

A really entertaining book is Baseball Between the Numbers. It is easy to follow, and introduces a lot of sabermetric topics. It’s by the BP team, so it’s very well done.