Members: Login | Register | Feedback

Chicago Meetup, 16, 19 or 20 Aug?
Posted: 18 July 2008 02:42 AM   [ Ignore ]

I’ll be in Milwaukee that week, and would like to make an overnight trip down to Chicago.  I don’t have a ticket for a game, but who cares? It would be fun (and cheaper) to meet at a bar and watch it on tv.  Alternatively, I can look into getting a ticket for one of the Reds games.

16 Aug is a Saturday, which might work best for everyone. Cubs are in FLA and play at 6:10.  On Tues 19 and Wed 20 Aug they host the Reds, both 7:05 starts.

This time we promise not to make Charles S. handle a disproportionate part of the bill!

Signature 

...right downtown, and PRINT IT!

Posted: 18 July 2008 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

Andre,
I might be interested. I am moving to Indy come August and want a reason to come to Chicago, besides the obligatory visit to my mother.

Posted: 18 July 2008 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

Yeah, I could arrange to be in Chicago that week…

Posted: 18 July 2008 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

i might have to wander up for this, been while since i went to a meet up, need to get vincennes there as well

Posted: 19 July 2008 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]

(from Spahn Insane)

I answered in the meetup thread, but I’d definitely be down for a mid-August powwow. My insane best friend from high school may even be in town around then. If that’s the case, I’ll have the devil’s own time allotting Cubs tickets for the week without pissing people off.

Well, I’m thinking we might just do a bar with quality television.  The Cubs will be out of town that Saturday.  I’m figuring the midweek meetup is going to be more of a challenge for people.

The White Sox play at 3 PM on Sat 16 Aug, the Cubs at 6.

But otherwise, any day from Sat 16 Aug to Wed 20 Aug would work for me, at least at this point.

Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2008 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]

Count me in, I’m open the 16th.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 21 July 2008 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]

I may be able to swing that as well.  I have a morning tee time, but I should be back in the city by early afternoon.

Posted: 21 July 2008 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

I’ll be thinking of you all as I chase Mini-Manny around the beach.

Signature 

I wanted, I think, to acknowledge Luck: the chance of it, the benevolence of it in my life, and the brutality of it in the lives of others; made especially savage for children because they may not be allowed the good fortune of a lifetime to correct it. - Paul Newman, on why he created the Hole in the Wall Camp.

Posted: 23 July 2008 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]

Sounds like a plan then (although I’m sorry to hear scotto can’t make it) for the 16th.  Can anyone suggest a sports bar venue with good food?  There are Hiawathas that would get me there at 2:30 or 4:30.

My only contingency is whether this is a family outing.  If it is, midweek might be better, but I have the feeling that I’m on my own for this.

Signature 

Posted: 24 July 2008 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]

Check out SeatQuest.com. It’s an excellent ticket site with interactive seating charts where you can compare prices from different companies selling tickets before you buy. I found seats there for both the August 19 and August 20 games at Wrigley.

Posted: 24 July 2008 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
shatner - 24 July 2008 03:49 PM

Check out SeatQuest.com. It’s an excellent ticket site with interactive seating charts where you can compare prices from different companies selling tickets before you buy. I found seats there for both the August 19 and August 20 games at Wrigley.

That’s a pretty cool tool.  I’m prioritizing the meetup over actual game attendance, figuring it’ll actually be more fun to sit with the Chicago Mafia in a bar watching a game rather than going to the game itself, not to mention a lot cheaper.

Right now it seems that 16 August is the favored date (with the Cubs on the road).

Signature 

Posted: 28 July 2008 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]

well im out, have to go to a family vacation of sorts. and its the first time ever we have done this, worst weekend for it.  stupid family

Posted: 14 August 2008 11:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]

Are we still on?  Meet at around game time (6 PM) at a bar?  Suggestions?

Signature 

Posted: 15 August 2008 01:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]

I’m in.  retro suggested Bad Dog Tavern, off the Brown Line.  Off the Blue line, we could try Logan Bar & Grill.  Either works for me.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 15 August 2008 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]

I don’t know where folks are staying/coming from, but if you’re in Lakeview, the Bad Dog’s a bit easier to get to via the CTA.  Definitely works for me.  I can be there whenever in the late afternoon/early evening.

Posted: 15 August 2008 03:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]

I’m planning on staying at the Hampton downtown, so either is going to be pretty easy for me.  Is the Logan the place that Moses, VG, dJF and I went to some years ago?  I like the looks of the Bad Dog, and if it’s convenient for retro, all the better.

Signature 

Posted: 15 August 2008 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]

No, it’s not.  This place just opened.  But that place up by retro is fine by me.

Signature 

Posted: 15 August 2008 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]

So it’s the Bad Dog then?  I’m not 100% sure I’ll be there, but just in case, I want to make sure I have the right place.

Posted: 16 August 2008 02:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Shredder - 15 August 2008 10:03 PM

So it’s the Bad Dog then?  I’m not 100% sure I’ll be there, but just in case, I want to make sure I have the right place.

Confirmed.  I’ll be down sometime in the afternoon.

Signature 

Posted: 16 August 2008 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]

Won’t be able to make it in all likelihood.  If you do see a confused guy wandering around the bar late in the night though call out to me.

Posted: 16 August 2008 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]

I’ll probably get to the Bad Dog at around 5ish.  See you all whenever you get there.

Signature 

Posted: 18 August 2008 04:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]

The meetup consisted of retro, retro’s friend retro, Buddha, Shredder and myself.  It didn’t go too late, which was a good thing, as I believe today was the first time I have not had a hangover following a meetup.  Highlights included the coining of “Heinrich WeiƟ” as a new nickname for the Cubs’ backup catcher.

Signature 

Posted: 18 August 2008 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]

Sorry again for not making it.  Not sure what it was, but I had some sort of bug and didn’t want to stray too far from the homestead on Saturday.

Signature