Members: Login | Register | Feedback

Chicago Meetup, Sept 26-27
Posted: 14 September 2008 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]

Howdy folks - I’m going to be in Chicago in two weeks for the Carrot Top records release party at the Hideout.  This is motivated by a bunch of reasons:

— Jon Langford (of the mighty, mighty Mekons) has a new band with Katherina Ex from the Ex, a semi-legendary Dutch punk band from the 70s.  I saw the Ex a few weeks ago, and they rocked my socks off, especially the drummer, the aforementioned Katherina.

— It’s been a while since I was in the capital of the Midwest (almost a year - these shakes are debilitating!).

— I haven’t had a vacation yet this summer, and I need to get away.  It’s been hard times, and I need a break.

— I get to hang out with a dear friend who lives in Minnesota now.  He’s going to join me for the weekend, and that guarantees that this is going to be an absolute blast.

We’re wiiiiide open from about mid-Friday afternoon through mid-Sunday morning, so feel perfectly free to suggest anything that might sound fun.  If you want to go to the rock show, the KatJonBand is playing on Friday night;  tickets are available here.  [note:  This is not an advertisement for anything at all;  I’m just mentioning this because the show might sell out, as I’ve heard tell it might.]

Hope to see you all,  YAFOS

Posted: 15 September 2008 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Your Ace from Outer Space - 14 September 2008 01:10 AM

Howdy folks - I’m going to be in Chicago in two weeks for the Carrot Top records release party at the Hideout.  This is motivated by a bunch of reasons:

You’re not fooling anyone, Ace.  You don’t even mention the real reason:  your hopes of running into attractive Filipina women at the Hideout’s bar.  :-)

Posted: 23 September 2008 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
retro-shiite - 15 September 2008 12:19 PM
Your Ace from Outer Space - 14 September 2008 01:10 AM

You’re not fooling anyone, Ace.  You don’t even mention the real reason:  your hopes of running into attractive Filipina women at the Hideout’s bar.  :-)

Well, I’m not exactly Cowboy Copas, but if an attractive Filipina called?  Sure I’d listen.

So, how’s the weekend look for you guys?  We don’t HAVE to meet up, but I’ll be in town and you all live there, and I have it on good authority that you do things like this from time to time…  Hate to do a drive-by, but I’ll check back over the next few days and see if anything comes up.

Posted: 23 September 2008 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

Ace,

I’m in town as well that weekend from the north - arriving Friday noonish.  Feel free to flip me a note through my profile, and we’ll get in contact for drinks and perhaps the KatJon show…

MP

Signature 

Everybody that you know…is more relevant…than everybody that I know.
- J. Murphy

Posted: 25 September 2008 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]

It looks like drinks before the Saturday shows are in order, and perhaps a bite to eat as well.  Max, Shredder and I will be going to see MBV, showtime is supposed to be at 8PM.  I don’t know if there’s an opening band; I haven’t seen anything suggesting there is. 

So let me know what works.  I have to figure out what I’m going to do transportation wise.

Signature 

I wanted, I think, to acknowledge Luck: the chance of it, the benevolence of it in my life, and the brutality of it in the lives of others; made especially savage for children because they may not be allowed the good fortune of a lifetime to correct it. - Paul Newman, on why he created the Hole in the Wall Camp.