Members: Login | Register | Feedback

Carroll Dial
Posted: 19 May 2006 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]

I am looking for any information on Carroll Dial. I think he played during the 50’s on the Pampa Oilers.
I would love team pictures or news articles. I am gathering this for a memory book for his 4 year old great grandson that seems to have his talent.

Thanks

Terri

Posted: 15 June 2006 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

If I am not mistaken Carroll Dial is the last player in baseball history to win 20 or more games in five consecutive minor league seasons.  I also seem to recall that his complete record was listed in one of SABR’s minor league history books. At the moment all of my reference books are packed away; otherwise I would look up his record for you.

Once you learn his minor league stops (as I recall he played in the last 40s to the late 50s in the southwest around Texas, Arizona and maybe Oklahoma and California), you could try and borrow those city newspapers on interlibrary loan.  It is time consuming but you would really get the complete picture that way.

Posted: 02 July 2006 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

Thank you so much for the information.  I was able to find lots of stuff locally as he started here with the Sher - Den twins.
I have been writing to newspapers in New Mexico and West Texas hoping someone might have photos.
I will keep trying.

‹‹ What’s up with trades?      Batting order ››