The Replacement Level Players Association (RLPA) wants you!
The RLPA is the best league you’ve probably never heard of. It’s more than a league. It’s a cult. It’s a cult devoted to hilarity and OOTP baseball, born from a 20 & 30-something group of posters at Baseball Think Factory (formerly Baseball Primer). If you can handle that, read on brother (or sista?). Otherwise, go back to YouTubing Larry the Cable Guy, or whatever it is you people that don’t like fun do.
If you were allowed to see our forum (it’s blocked for national security purposes), you’d see over 215,000 posts covering 24 seasons since 2004 real time. And that’s our second message board. The first one was lost in a freak fire. Don’t ask about it - we don’t want to have to give back the insurance money.
Like any good cult, RLPA owners don’t leave or, if they do, are quickly replaced by a former owner who has come to his senses and realized life isn’t a priority (it happened again over the weekend). We haven’t needed a civilian since May of 2006. But we need one now.
We are transitioning to OOTP9 from OOTP6.5 for the 2028 season. We have two openings to replace owners who didn’t want to make the switch. The available teams would be:
- St. Louis: The Cardinals were a .500 team in 2027, but only 1 year removed from winning 101 games and the division.
- Philadelphia. The Phils have won the NL East 2 of the last 3 seasons. (Note: to take over Philadelphia, you must be willing to rapidly change organizational strategies during the season depending on the weather, tea leaves, and the performance of your backup catcher in a meaningless loss to a non-division opponent.)
More RLPA info:
1. The RLPA is a mammal
2. The RLPA sims ALL the time
3. The purpose of the RLPA is to flip out and shred prospects
Even more RLPA info:
1. We’re moving to OOTP9 this season. We ran/run a sister league with which we have spent over a year already working with OOTP9, so the conversion should be fairly seamless.
2. 10-game sims 3 days a week (so 6 week seasons + 2-3 week offseasons)
3. Soft salary cap as part of a collective bargaining agreement that covers most aspects of the game (to be revised for OOTP9)
4. It’s a hardcore league, but with a mix of owners who seemingly live on the message boards and others who have actual lives and fit the RLPA in when they can.
5. The game started with 100% MLB players. At this point, it’s about 10% real, 90% fictional (we edit the draft class each year to add 25-30 real life prospect names to the league).
6. You can see the 2024-2027 Catobase league history here - http://rlpa.org/cato/index.html
- your level of experience with OOTP Leagues (particularly OOTP9)
- favorite real life baseball team
- A/S/L, for the hot sexy playoff chat in October each season
- favorite Lifetime Original Movie (no Tori Spelling fans, please!)
- sexiest Golden Girl (living or dead)
- whether you would ever buy an American car
- acceptable threshhold of Canadian owners
- willingness to cede all claims to Scarlett Johansson to me, for all eternity. She’s mine, dammit.
Uptight people and/or children need not apply (the message boards are not censored, and we take full advantage).