Members: Login | Register | Feedback

1985-2000 AL and NL best
Posted: 30 May 2006 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]

I took upon myself the task of trying to compile an all-decade team of sorts, only it spanned 85-00.  I tried to put on these team only players who played the majority of there careers during this time frame.  Some were rookies just prior to 85 and some just post, but all started around 85, and all either retired already or are near the end of careers.  Please feel free to scoff at my list, as well as return your own suggestions (about me or my list).

N.L.

C…Mike Piazza, Benito Santiago
1st…Jeff Bagwell, Mark Grace
2nd…Ryne Sandberg, Craig Biggio
3rd…Matt Williams, Bobby Bonilla
SS…Barry Larkin, Jay Bell
OF…Barry Bonds, Todd Walker., Sammy Sosa, Tony Gwynn, Willie McGee
P…Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Jon Smoltz, Orel Hershiser, John Franco

A.L.

C…Ivan Rodriguez, Terry Steinbach
1st…Mark Mcgwire, Don Mattingly
2nd…Roberto Alomar, Chuck Knoblauch
3rd…Wade Boggs,  Garry Gaetti
SS…Cal Ripken Jr., Omar Vizquel
OF…Ken Griffey Jr., Ricky Henderson, Kirby Puckett, Albert Belle
DH…Paul Molitor…every A.L. team needs a DH
P…Roger Clemens, Randy Jonson, David Cone, Jack Morris, Doug Jones, David Wells

I know there are mistakes, and being fairly young and unknowlageable compared to most of the readers, i know i will be corrected.  I welcome your suggestions and input.  Regarding the pitchers, I do not have much knowledge of pitching history compared to hitting and fielding, so do not hammer me too badly on that.  Thank you for your replies.

Posted: 30 May 2006 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

Todd Walker?

Posted: 30 May 2006 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

Just limiting myself to the obvious cases (e.g. I’m not going to argue Tettleton vs Steinbach).  I may have overlooked someone, but

In the AL, Frank Thomas or Edgar Martinez is the DH over Molitor.  I’d go with Edgar and make Thomas the other 1B with McGwire.  Palmeiro is better than Mattingly too.
At 3B, Gaetti is an awful choice.  I’d go with Molitor, he did play more 3B than anywhere else, but if not there are plenty of better choices than Gaetti.  Kevin Seitzer, for example.
At SS, go with Trammell or A-Rod behind Ripken.  Both will have about half of their career (or at least SS career) in the period ... so unless there’s an overlapping 1980-1995 or 1995-2010 or something, you have to include them.  Otherwise Tony Fernandez probably.
If you do go with Trammell as SS, you then have to go with Whitaker at 2B over Knoblach.
The other two OF to double up every position could be Juan Gone and Canseco.  Manny and Bernie are good choices, but only a 1/2 career in the period and the competition is better than Gaetti.
At SP, I like Key and Mussina over Morria and Wells.
You also have many good choices for RP: Eck, Henke, and Wetteland are probably the top 3.  Jones is a good ways back.

In the NL, pick either McGriff or Will Clark for 1B over Grace.
The second 3B should be Chipper Jones not Bonilla.  Actually Chipper should be the starter.  If you’d rather Mr. Jones on a later team, Caminiti is the choice here, he’s as good Williams.
If Ozzie’s not on an earlier 1980-1995 team, I’d take him over Bell at SS for sure.
Willie McGee is an awful pick.  Sosa, Gwynn, Bonds, Walker are fine.  Need 2 CF also, pick from Davis, Van Slyke, Dykstra, Butler.
I like 2 of Brown, Schilling, and Pedro for the non-Braves spots in the rotation.  All have better pre-2000 resumes than Hershiser.  Jose Rijo would be a fine choice as well.

Posted: 24 June 2006 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

Todd Walker?

I assume he meant Larry Walker.

Signature 

All comments by Jeff K. are opinions and are not presented as fact.  Jeff K.‘s statements should not be considered the opinions of Jeff K. management.