Members: Login | Register | Feedback

Pie Traynor biography
Posted: 02 March 2010 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]

I have co-authored a new biography of Pie Traynor that has just been published by McFarland.

Although the book, naturally, deals largely with Traynor’s baseball career we also offer a portrait of his rather complex personality.  He was widely regarded as an exceptionally kind man (and he was a great guy) but he also had his share of quirks, foibles, and insecurities—his emotional meltdown during the 1938 pennant race is particularly revealing. 

Traynor’s later years in Pittsburgh (including his radio career and his foray into professional wrestling) were a blast to write about.  In some ways he was more popular in retirement than he was as a player.

We hope you have a chance to pick it up.

Posted: 02 March 2010 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

D’oh I didn’t realize a primate had written this.

I sent an Amazon order in last night for Chris’ Manager book.  I was torn between yours and Chris’s and went for the familiar title first. 

I’ll be sure to pick it up in my next order.

Signature 

The Shadow Shadow Lounge

Posted: 02 March 2010 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

He joined today, and has a grand total of one comment, which is pimping his book.

We’re not exactly talking about a regular poster.

Posted: 03 March 2010 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

Ha - the post count was right there and I missed it.

Anyway - Amazon tells me Chris’ book is coming tomorrow.  When I have finished that I will move on to Pie - primate or no primate.

Signature 

The Shadow Shadow Lounge

Posted: 04 March 2010 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Ryan Jones - 02 March 2010 08:37 PM

He joined today, and has a grand total of one comment, which is pimping his book.

We’re not exactly talking about a regular poster.

But on the bright side, his post helped get someone to buy my book.

Actually, this guy inquired if I’d be willing to write a review for THT earlier this year.  I told him it was to early to tell.

I have to admire the guy’s moxie.

Signature 

I don’t know Jaffe from a hole in the wall; he’s not a friend of mine or something .  .  .  He does really good research. .  .  .  and I learned a great deal from reading his book. —Bill James

“Way back in the 20th century, Bill James wrote the first essential book about baseball managers. Chris Jaffe has just written the second.”—Rob Neyer

Posted: 04 March 2010 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]

But on the bright side, his post helped get someone to buy my book.

It was waiting when i arrived last night and I was able to peruse.  It looks fantastic.

Signature 

The Shadow Shadow Lounge

Posted: 04 March 2010 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]

Hey guys, sorry if my post was out of line or too pushy.  I hesitated putting it up, but I had seen a couple of other first-time posters had put similar things up in the announcement forum so I thought it was OK.

On the other hand, you’ve shamed me into making some genuine posts here, rather than just lurking occasionally. 

Again, no offense intended, and if a moderator wants to take it down, that’s fine by me.

Posted: 05 March 2010 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

On the other hand, you’ve shamed me into making some genuine posts here, rather than just lurking occasionally.

Our work here is done.

Signature 

The Shadow Shadow Lounge

Posted: 05 March 2010 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
como10 - 04 March 2010 11:15 PM

Hey guys, sorry if my post was out of line or too pushy.  I hesitated putting it up, but I had seen a couple of other first-time posters had put similar things up in the announcement forum so I thought it was OK.

Again, no offense intended, and if a moderator wants to take it down, that’s fine by me.

Not that I have any authority at all, but it’s fine if it stays up, and I’ll definitely take a look at the book - Pie Traynor is a player who has always interested me, for reasons beyound my comprehension.

Posted: 05 March 2010 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Ryan Jones - 05 March 2010 08:41 PM

Not that I have any authority at all, but it’s fine if it stays up, and I’ll definitely take a look at the book - Pie Traynor is a player who has always interested me, for reasons beyound my comprehension.

Is that some kind of wacky Canadian spelling?

Posted: 06 March 2010 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
como10 - 02 March 2010 02:17 PM

I have co-authored a new biography of Pie Traynor that has just been published by McFarland.

Although the book, naturally, deals largely with Traynor’s baseball career we also offer a portrait of his rather complex personality.  He was widely regarded as an exceptionally kind man (and he was a great guy) but he also had his share of quirks, foibles, and insecurities—his emotional meltdown during the 1938 pennant race is particularly revealing. 

Traynor’s later years in Pittsburgh (including his radio career and his foray into professional wrestling) were a blast to write about.  In some ways he was more popular in retirement than he was as a player.

We hope you have a chance to pick it up.

Heh, I think I’m supposed to write it up - did you or your collaborator talk to Charlie at Bucs Dugout about a review?

Posted: 06 March 2010 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Ryan Jones - 05 March 2010 08:41 PM

In 1969, which was the centennial of the Cincinnati Red Stockings, some outfit named him the greatest thirdbaseman of all time.  As a kid, I had some book that profiled him and the other selectees like Hornsby and Wagner.

Signature 

Designated Sitter: Occasionally brilliant, always astigamatic.