Members: Login | Register | Feedback

5 of 33
World Cup Germany 2006
Posted: 12 June 2006 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]

Why is it that everytime we get the ball to the Czech side, there are a thousand white shirts in the area, but everytime they get it to our side, there’s like three blue shirts vs. five white?  How’d we get ranked fifth by FIFA if we suck this bad?

Posted: 12 June 2006 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]

Has McBride even seen the ball yet?

Posted: 12 June 2006 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]

This is just terrible.

Posted: 12 June 2006 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]

Holy crap, we suck.  Well, I guess it’s time to let Arena go.  He’s brought us far, but I think we need a veteran coach from Europe to put us over the hump.

Posted: 12 June 2006 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]

Wow, my football experience sure sucked this morning.

Woke up at 6 to watch the socceroos, saw them get boned by the refs, then fell back asleep for the last ten minutes of the game, missing the most exciting part.

Then, I woke back up for the US game, only to see them suck tremendously. I left to go to work at the 70th minute, because not only were they behind, but they were playing like shite as well.

A few thoughts:

Landon Donovan sucks

All of these yellow cards they’re giving out in the first round of games are really going to change the complexion of the second round, since everyone will be trying not to get a second.

I sure am glad that we hurt the Czech giant, so that Italy would have an easier time with them.

Signature 

*includes bacon unless otherwise specified.

Posted: 12 June 2006 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]

Somehow ESPN is calling the japan goal a miscue by the goalie. What a bunch of ignorant wankers.

Signature 

Posted: 13 June 2006 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]

How?d we get ranked fifth by FIFA if we suck this bad?

Because the FIFA Ranking system overrates teams in the Americas for some reason.  Still, no disgrace.  The Czechs are a very good side.  Reyna was unlucky but the Czechs were worthy winners.  Shame about Koller though.

I was pleased for Australia, due to the many Australians I know and because I had money on them to win!  Japan could only score flukily.  They have nothing up front.

Oh, and Wok -

Robben is acting like he doesn?t give a rats ass

Not any more he’s not…and good thing too, because it’s clear the Dutch would be on England’s level without him.

Posted: 13 June 2006 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Richard - 13 June 2006 02:32 AM

Because the FIFA Ranking system overrates teams in the Americas for some reason.  Still, no disgrace.  The Czechs are a very good side.  Reyna was unlucky but the Czechs were worthy winners.  Shame about Koller though.

I was pleased for Australia, due to the many Australians I know and because I had money on them to win!  Japan could only score flukily.  They have nothing up front.

Oh, and Wok -

Not any more he’s not…and good thing too, because it’s clear the Dutch would be on England’s level without him.

Glad you were smart enought to back the Aussies Richard!!!

What an amazing night, we had a great time watching the game at the pub and can’t wait till the next game. The ref has admitted he made a mistake on the Japan goal, which is a good thing. I am pleased we scored 3 goals as well, as for and against will surely play a part later on with Croatia I feel.

byrd, cant believe you missed the end of the game!! A lot of my friends went to bed at half time which pissed me off as well.

Posted: 13 June 2006 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]

This is kind of off-topic, but everybody lambastes the FIFA rankings, and I understand why.  The nature of international soccer really doesn’t work for a mathematical rating system.  So why doesn’t somebody else try to come up with a rating system that people would actually accept?  The soccer version of the AP poll would be a decent starting spot.

Signature 

The rhetorical oracle sings.

Posted: 13 June 2006 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
The Ballad of Phillip Burma - 13 June 2006 09:41 AM
Richard - 13 June 2006 02:32 AM

Oh, and Wok -

Glad you were smart enought to back the Aussies Richard!!!

What an amazing night, we had a great time watching the game at the pub and can’t wait till the next game. The ref has admitted he made a mistake on the Japan goal, which is a good thing. I am pleased we scored 3 goals as well, as for and against will surely play a part later on with Croatia I feel.

byrd, cant believe you missed the end of the game!! A lot of my friends went to bed at half time which pissed me off as well.

If it had been as simple as staying up late, I wouldn’t have missed it. It’s the getting up super early and watching the games through one bloodshot eye that does me in. I just “slept in” to the start of the second half of the Korea match today, and was able to give it more attention than if I woke up early, so I think that’s what I’m going to have to do the rest of the week.

I’m just so very upset that I have to work through the second two games today.

Signature 

Posted: 13 June 2006 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]

What an amazing goal by Kaka. I wonder about Pletikosa though - he should at least have got a lot closer to it. Croatia look screwed now.

Posted: 13 June 2006 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]

Maybe the match isn’t over. Prso should have scored there - shot much too close to the keeper. Hollywood save by Dida. Brazil look shaky at the back, and there’s a massive gap between Ze Roberto/ Ronaldinho/Kaka and Emerson/the defenders. If Croatia can break more quickly they’ll really cause problems.

Posted: 13 June 2006 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]

Ronaldo out. Maybe he’ll be hungrier next match.

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2006 12:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]

Ronaldo’s problem is not a lack of hunger. Matter of fact, it looks like he ate the whole buffet.

With that win, Brazil have basically won the group. But they’re going to need to play infinitely better if they want to make it to the quarters, let alone win the tournament. Japan will be pushovers, but it’ll be interesting to see how they do against Australia.

Posted: 14 June 2006 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]

I’ve been without Internet since Monday lunchtime, so here are some late comments about the USA’s sorry performance against the Czechs.

1) Eddie Pope, apart from playing for the most ridiculously named team except the Utah Jazz, is just not up to the standard here. He even seemed to me to be tired by the end of the game.

2) They should have played balls into the box with more variety. More from wide, more lofted balls like Cherundolo was playing. They still may not have worked, but I think they didn’t give the Czechs enough variety to worry about.

3) Johnson should have started the game. He had the pace that could have at least gotten a US goal. In fact, the Americans generally played too slowly going forward, but it might have been the heat causing them to pace themselves.

After this, I won’t be surprised if we lose all three of our group matches. Ghana are no mean opponents.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 14 June 2006 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]

Rumor on the streets is that Beasley won’t see another minute of action. He showed me nothing in that match, and if it were up to me, I’d sit donovan for the rest of the cup as well. All two games.

Spain looked very good this morning. Very good. Their group appears to be a joke. I wouldn’t mind a spain streak to win this thing, actually.

France hasn’t scored a goal since 1998. Hilarious.

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2006 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]

If I didn’t know where Saudi Arabia is, the faces of the guys on the Saudi national team might make me think it’s in Africa.

Signature 

Is there aught we hold in common with the greedy parasite,
Who would lash us into serfdom and would crush us with his might?
Is there anything left to us but to organize and fight?

Posted: 14 June 2006 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]

Some kind of second half. Way to go, Tunisia!

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2006 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 119 ]

That was a hell of a tunisia saudi game. I wish I had been able to watch it, instead of just read the live report on BBC.

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2006 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 120 ]

I’d forgotten about Beasley, rb. My loudest remarks came when I was abusing the TV screen because of him.

Germany just had a good chance. I missed the Tunisia-Saudi game, I was getting my eyesight tested or cooking.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 14 June 2006 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]

Germany were looking flat from about the 20th to the 30th minute, but they’re putting Poland under a lot of pressure now. I’d really like to see an upset here.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 14 June 2006 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]

I was getting my eyesight tested or cooking.

Which one was it?

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2006 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]

Myopia cutlets with astigmatism fried in parmesan.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 14 June 2006 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]

I can see Germany getting a goal in the next ten minutes (it’s the 65th minute as a type).

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 14 June 2006 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]

One of the Polish midfielders needlessly gave the ball away, near the center circle, and now the
Germans have a corner, which they’ve somehow managed to deliver ineffectually. The German 22 then got caught pulling Jelem’s shirt.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

5 of 33