Members: Login | Register | Feedback

6 of 33
World Cup Germany 2006
Posted: 14 June 2006 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]

And I left out my punch line—the Germans don’t look as efficient as normal. They’ve just given away a silly foul (Metzelder).

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 14 June 2006 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]

Sobolewski sent off with a second yellow card, after a foul on Klose. Poland’s work is cut out for them now. They were looking a lot better than they had in their first game.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 14 June 2006 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]

My ten minute prediction was wrong, and in the next five minutes Boruc has made two good saves. The Germans are still hanging back. Are they trying to tire out the Poles?

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 14 June 2006 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]

German corners are atrocious. They look much more threatening threading passes into the box from midfield.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 14 June 2006 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]

The Germans have hit the bar twice and get a goal in the 91st minute that they didn’t deserve.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 14 June 2006 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]

Well, I wonder if we’ll get Germany v England in the Round of 16.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 14 June 2006 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]

Well, I wonder if we?ll get Germany v England in the Round of 16.

You think England will advance? I’m rooting for a stunner by T&T.

Signature 

Is there aught we hold in common with the greedy parasite,
Who would lash us into serfdom and would crush us with his might?
Is there anything left to us but to organize and fight?

Posted: 14 June 2006 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]

fp was carrying this thing for a page there. I missed even the live follow of the game because I was doing actual work, the horror.

Signature 

*includes bacon unless otherwise specified.

Posted: 14 June 2006 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]

So poland is toast. Only 3 more days before the US team can say the same!!

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2006 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]

I missed even the live follow of the game because I was doing actual work, the horror.

I kept nipping into an empty room to check it, but I had to come back and do something work-related just before the goal. That sucked.

Signature 

Is there aught we hold in common with the greedy parasite,
Who would lash us into serfdom and would crush us with his might?
Is there anything left to us but to organize and fight?

Posted: 15 June 2006 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]

Germany won’t play England in the last 16. Germany have all but won that group, and England look heavy favorites to win theirs. It’ll be Germany-Sweden and (most likely) England-Ecuador. It’s a very easy draw for both England and Germany.

Poland looked really bad against Germany. I didn’t see their game against Ecuador but I can now see why they lost. On another day Germany would have scored five. What made the match really remarkable was that Poland seemed to be playing for the draw, which is insane. Even a draw would have done them little good, they needed to win. Now they’re all but eliminated.

Posted: 15 June 2006 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]

Germany won?t play England in the last 16. Germany have all but won that group, and England look heavy favorites to win theirs. It?ll be Germany-Sweden and (most likely) England-Ecuador. It?s a very easy draw for both England and Germany.

If Ecuador win by 2 goals tonight vs Costa Rica - not impossible - they will top the group and will need only a draw to finish above the Germans.  I don’t think they’ve all but won it.

Remember also that England and Sweden may well play off for the group on 20 June, and england remain incapable of beating them - are Sweden unbeaten for 30 years against them in 8 or 9 games?  Sweden coud yet push England to 2nd.

In short, the English pessimism within me predicts England Germany one way or the other.  would be amusing if they avoided each other by both finishing runners up, though.

Finally, that penalty in the Spain game edges out allowing Japan’s goal as the worst refereeing decision in the tournament so far.  Good job neither decision affected the result.  Ukraine ought to qualify anyway.  Tunisia and Saudi Arabia were fun, but shouldn’t trouble them.

Posted: 15 June 2006 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]

If France doens’t beat Korea the next game, they are in TROUBLE

Which is good, because I hate France.

Signature 

Less Racism, More Cowbell!

Posted: 15 June 2006 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
I AM LASHICUS (TwoAlous) - 15 June 2006 12:41 AM

Poland looked really bad against Germany. I didn’t see their game against Ecuador but I can now see why they lost. On another day Germany would have scored five. What made the match really remarkable was that Poland seemed to be playing for the draw, which is insane.

Poland looked worse against Ecuador. They played with a lot more verve in this one. I don’t think Germany looked like a Grade A side at all, more a B+ one. Efficient defenders, but misfiring on the attack. I’d have to think based on form and what I’ve seen that Ecuador will beat Costa Rica and Germany, and Poland will beat Costa Rica. (I didn’t see the Germany v Costa Rica game.) However, I don’t believe that for a minute. Germany have got to be holding back.

FWIW, Poland were likely to play for the draw, because IIRC a commentator said they have never beaten Germany (or at least not since 1410). That’s a huge psychological barrier to cross; and though all successful teams have to find a way to cross it, it still takes extra effort.

In fact, I’d favour a strongly psychological interpretation for what went wrong with Poland. My pre-tournament reading told me they play the “we’ll score one more than you” attitude. Then what I saw against Ecuador and Germany was a team that seemed nervous about going forward, like they’d been told to play defensively. And maybe weren’t happy about it.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 15 June 2006 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]

Germany have got to be holding back.

their patchy form coming in and poor performance in Euro 2004 may suggest that they are not.  It’s hard to tell.  I don’t think the group is much good, and no true gauge of their ability will come until the knockout stages.

One thing to say about Poland is that they were perhaps seen as a better side than they really are coming in.  the group they and England qualified from was desperately poor (Wales, N. Ireland, Austria etc).

Posted: 15 June 2006 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]

I can only provide first-half comments on Ecuador v Costa Rica. Both teams look like they are playing 3-5-2.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 15 June 2006 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]

I’d give the first five minutes to Costa Rica on points. They’re going forward more comfortably.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 15 June 2006 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]

Ecuador goal. Very pretty. Cross from the right-hand corner of the box, is headed into the far post. Hey, I’ve just learned Batigol is now playing in the Qatar league.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 15 June 2006 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]

Ecuador have dominated the last ten minutes. They’re looking a little bit stronger in the midfield. Carlos Tenorio scored the goal, he plays in the Qatar league too, which is why I brought up ex-Fiorentina players.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 15 June 2006 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]

Lots of to and fro during last ten minutes, but most Costa Rican moves break down at the edge of the box, while Ecuador manages to get a couple of shots. Yellow card for Solis (C.R.)

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 15 June 2006 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]

Costa Rica brought on a substitute, another forward named Saborio, but although he’s looked a little lively, the team has nothing to show for it yet, and still have trouble getting into the box. Ecuador, however, seem happy sitting on a one-goal lead, which is risking points this early in the game, if you ask me.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 15 June 2006 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]

Half time, still 1-0 Ecuador. Ecuador could be a handful for Germany, although one would have to think Germany have got the strength to break up the pat-a-cake midfield passing that seems important to their rhythm.

That’s all from me for now. I might have some comments here on the Sweden-Paraguay game.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 15 June 2006 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 148 ]

Germany have all but won that group

Ah, hindsight.

Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2006 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 149 ]

Is the consensus that England pretty much have Group B in the bag after Sweden’s performance on Saturday?  I still see Sweden going down to England and finishing second in the group, but I think they have the talent to knock off England.

Obviously, If they don’t get a win over Paraguay today, I retract that statement.

Posted: 15 June 2006 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 150 ]

Now that the US is on its World Cup deathbed, it’s time to bust out the schadenfreude.

If Trinidad somehow finds a way to get three points here, it would almost make this nightmare of a World Cup fun.

6 of 33