Members: Login | Register | Feedback

3 of 33
World Cup Germany 2006
Posted: 09 June 2006 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]

Poland missing some golden opportunities. just not able to get the good final touch

Posted: 09 June 2006 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]

They’re not going to get it done playing one man up top - they need someone else up there.

I don’t know if Poland is slow, but they sure look that way.  They can’t seem to run past anyone.

Posted: 09 June 2006 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]

They have had openings, but no solid shot on goal. case of panicking and trying too hard

I don’t like either of these 2 teams now.

Posted: 09 June 2006 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]

I didn’t try the live audio. I don’t like to sit here with headphones on because the cord is too short. I’d try it in the main lab, but we’ve got a guy who is taping the games, so we have to keep silent about any scores. I can’t wait until I can actually just watch the games tomorrow. Stupid work.

Signature 

*includes bacon unless otherwise specified.

Posted: 09 June 2006 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]

Yeah, I came away completely underwhelmed by Costa Rica, but they looked better than either of these teams.  At this point, I don’t see Poland’s plodders being able to stop Wanchope.

Posted: 09 June 2006 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]

Is poland supposed to win this group, or at least move on from it?

In other words, would this be a huge upset?

Signature 

Posted: 09 June 2006 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]

Not a huge upset, but Poland is one of those traditional powerhouses, though they haven’t done much lately.
pre-games, you would pick germany and poland from this group, and give ecuador a fighting chance

Posted: 09 June 2006 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
(rb) Brian Mccann?s #1 fan. - 09 June 2006 08:32 PM

Is poland supposed to win this group, or at least move on from it?

In other words, would this be a huge upset?

It’s definitely an upset, but I wouldn’t call it huge.  Ecuador is traditionally awful when they play away from Quito’s altitude (1-6-2 away from Quito in qualifying - the one win was in La Paz, which is even higher), but I don’t think anyone expected Poland to do any better than second behind Germany in the group.

Posted: 09 June 2006 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]

2-0!

not offside?

Posted: 09 June 2006 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]

Game, Set, Yahtzee.

Good lord, are the Poles slow.

Posted: 09 June 2006 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]

I guess that’s why they call them “poles”.

Posted: 09 June 2006 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]

exciting last 5 mins

Posted: 09 June 2006 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]

Loved the bbc commtary there.

“poland got what it deserved-nothing.”

Signature 

Posted: 10 June 2006 02:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]

So what website would people recomend for year round analysis?  I’ve only recently started following football (around when Arsenal started heating up, actually) and have just relied on soccernet, but mostly just because it was easy.

Posted: 10 June 2006 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]

Although England came away with the points, I’d be nervous about their chances of getting past the round of 16 on today’s play. That could as easily have been a 0-0 draw as a 1-0 England win.

The talking heads afterwards were fretting about the short stint put in by Owen.

I think Paraguay may have missed their best chance at getting the points to advance. Unless they can beat Sweden, whom I haven’t seen yet. Or only for a few minutes.

Afterwards, a Latin American journalist filed a radio report for a station in Oslo from my back yard!

I hope I’ll be able to see tonight’s game. I’ll be with the sports editor of the Evening Standard at a mutual acquaintance’s 40th birthday party. We were fretting yesterday about whether there’d be a TV.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

simili ulisse JLAC domi est

Posted: 10 June 2006 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]

T&T!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: 10 June 2006 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]

argentinaaaaaa

Posted: 10 June 2006 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]

this is a real fun match.
both teams are creating well

Posted: 10 June 2006 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]

ai ai aiiii
ivory coast misses 2 golden chances

Posted: 11 June 2006 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]

I thought that it was a good thing that argentina ended up winning, because they got robbed in the first half of the non-call on the handball in the box and the subsequent miscall on the goal. Argentinians would have had a lot to complain about had they lost.

Of the teams that played today, paraguay were the biggest bunch of fakers and whiners, but that was mostly just the one player, the sissy.

That’s my biggest problem with soccer. The flops, and exaggerated rolling around faking being hurt, followed by the same player getting up and running around five seconds later really pisses me off.

Signature 

Posted: 11 June 2006 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
(rb) Brian Mccann?s #1 fan. - 11 June 2006 01:02 AM

I thought that it was a good thing that argentina ended up winning, because they got robbed in the first half of the non-call on the handball in the box and the subsequent miscall on the goal. Argentinians would have had a lot to complain about had they lost.

Of the teams that played today, paraguay were the biggest bunch of fakers and whiners, but that was mostly just the one player, the sissy.

That’s my biggest problem with soccer. The flops, and exaggerated rolling around faking being hurt, followed by the same player getting up and running around five seconds later really pisses me off.

You should do a flying dropkick into the stands.

Signature 

Contents under pressure. Cap may blow off causing eye or other serious injury. Point away from face and people, especially when opening.

Posted: 11 June 2006 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
(rb) Brian Mccann?s #1 fan. - 11 June 2006 01:02 AM

You probably won’t care for politicians or working in public relations. (Nor the Latin temperament.)

I’m not sure when all that started. I think the first time I became aware of it was during the 1986 World Cup. (But I didn’t watch soccer before that very much.) In those days the trainer used to come out and apply what the British commentators described as “the Magic Sponge”. Then FIFA changed the rules about trainers coming on the field, so the players just had to draw on that special adrenaline surge apparently stimulated by rolling around on football pitches.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

simili ulisse JLAC domi est

Posted: 11 June 2006 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]

No one posting here today?

Arjen Robben was an absolute terror today.

Posted: 11 June 2006 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]

Brent Musberger is a tool.

Iran held its own in the first 45 minutes. Exciting match thus far.

Posted: 11 June 2006 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]

Oh yeah, I switched to Univision after I heard EYE-ran for tenth time.

JP and John Harkes were good in the Netherlands game though…although the ESPN country profile said “Government:Monarchy” for them.

3 of 33