Members: Login | Register | Feedback

‹ First  < 25 26 27 28 29 >  Last ›
27 of 33
World Cup Germany 2006
Posted: 26 June 2006 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 651 ]
philistine - 26 June 2006 10:38 AM

But how the ref could come to a decision to show Figo a yellow, since he obviously didn’t see the incident, is beyond me. It’s either a straight red or he admits he missed it. I wonder if he carded him for something else - the pushing afterwards (“handbags”, as the British media likes to call it) - so maybe Figo could still be suspended for a game or two. I doubt it though.

Seems the ref booked Figo after one of the linesmen told him what happened. Figo’s been cleared to play the next game.

Posted: 26 June 2006 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 652 ]

Philistine, I’m interested. What do you have against Van Bommel?

Italy look comfortable so far.

Posted: 26 June 2006 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 653 ]

Oh, and on Hargreaves - I’m not “blaming” him, I’m just pointing out what went wrong. Hargreaves isn’t a full back, he was asked to play a position he’s unused to and unsuitd to, but he worked really hard and did his best. No faulting his effort or application. His biggest problem was something that no amount of support from Beckham would have helped - the diagonal ball. Hargreaves is short, and (unlike Ashley) not a good jumper. That’s not an issue when he plays his natural position. But when Delgado peeled away onto the full back, and then they played that diaganal ball, Hargreaves was absolutely helpless. It was even the case when they just overhit crosses. Not Hargreaves fault, it’s Sven’s fault, for putting his man in an unfavorable position.

When it came to guys running at him, Hargreaves was much more assured, but he did still get beaten rather badly a couple of times. No, he got precious little help from Beckham, but you can’t expect much help from Beckham these days anyway. Portugal have flying wingers, and they will get one on one with the full backs repeatedly. In those circumstances, you need a guy who is primarily a defender. Hargreaves has plenty of attributes that Carragher can only dream about. But Carragher’s the better defender, and it’s not close.

Posted: 26 June 2006 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 654 ]

Socceroos playing spirited football. Hanging in there…

Posted: 26 June 2006 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 655 ]

Van Bommel is one of those players who follows the ref around trying to get players sent off. A highly provocative player always trying to rile the opposition. And not in a cheeky Dennis-Wise way or a blatant Robbie-Savage way, but in a snide underhand way. I always think that if he put as much effort into his game as he does in getting other players booked he would be a great player. I bet he had something to do with the plan to earn some yellow cards for the Portuguese.

I missed the first 15 minutes, but have been impressed by Australia so far. As I say that, Italy just miss a great chance.

Posted: 26 June 2006 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 656 ]

It’s imperative the Aussies get it to halftime tied.

Posted: 26 June 2006 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 657 ]

Thanks, Philistine, I’m not so familiar with Van Bommel as to pick up on these things.

Posted: 26 June 2006 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 658 ]

The Italians played Zambrotta in a local youth league to get him ready for the game? That’s awesome!

Posted: 26 June 2006 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 659 ]

Please don’t say “tied” again, Matt. Please.

As if those Budweiser commercials weren’t annoying enough.

Posted: 26 June 2006 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 660 ]

Sorry, draw.

Yeah.

Posted: 26 June 2006 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 661 ]

HOLY ####. RED CARD!

Posted: 26 June 2006 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 662 ]

And the referee decides the crowd have come to see him. Wanker. The way Bresciano rolled and rolled was also highly unimpressive. That’s a definite yellow, no way a straight red. Pure stupidity.

Posted: 26 June 2006 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 663 ]

I’m pulling for the Aussies, but that was plain ridiculousness. He’ll have to even it up within the next ten minutes.

Posted: 26 June 2006 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 664 ]

I just flicked over to watch West Indies vs India in the cricket and forgot to turn back. Who’s been sent off?

Posted: 26 June 2006 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 665 ]

Materazzi. Bresciano was running down the inside-left channel, Materazzi brought him down from behind, late, but it wasn’t a violent challenge, and he wasn’t the last man. Bresciano rolled over about five times after being brought down. Materazzi got a straight red.

Posted: 26 June 2006 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 666 ]

Bresciano’s an Ocker? Of course, I was thinking he was Italian. I bet he has some angry relatives.

Posted: 26 June 2006 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 667 ]

IIRC, he’s got dual nationality.

Posted: 26 June 2006 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 668 ]

Wasn’t it an Italian team who fired a player for scoring against Italy in the World Cup? Bresciano plays for Parma, I notice.

Posted: 26 June 2006 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 669 ]

Here comes Totti.

Posted: 26 June 2006 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 670 ]

It was, Philistine. Perugia (whose owner is a notorious hothead and self-publicist) fired Ahn of South Korea - not so much for scoring, but more as the symbol of the Koreans disgraceful behavior.

Posted: 26 June 2006 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 671 ]

I’m disappointed the Socceroos haven’t pushed the play. They’re playing much too conservatively.

Posted: 26 June 2006 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 672 ]

Oh that was a bloody dive.

Posted: 26 June 2006 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 673 ]

Thing is, Matt, they’re missing Kewell. You can’t just “push” the play, you have to have that creativity. Their midfield is very ordinary. I think we will be seeing Aloisi soon.

And, as I type that, here he comes.

Posted: 26 June 2006 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 674 ]

I know, but up a man they cannot sit around. The longer the game goes, the better the chance Italy has.

Posted: 26 June 2006 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 675 ]

How guilty did Zambrotta look then!

‹ First  < 25 26 27 28 29 >  Last ›
27 of 33