Members: Login | Register | Feedback

31 of 33
World Cup Germany 2006
Posted: 03 July 2006 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 751 ]

Eriksson has made some terrible substitutions in his time, but Carragher as pinch penalty taker gets my nomination as the stupidest. He had 9 players all completely exhausted but Sven saved it to the last moment to bring on a defender to take a penalty. He clearly has little faith in the rest of his squad - you can tell his order of preference of players very clearly. He’ll pick his top players and play them regardless whether it suits their positions or not. They have to play for a regular Champions League team (United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Munich or Madrid) to get a regular place - Robinson in goal got lucky as Tottenham seems to be the highest-placed team with an English keeper. The reason why Sven took so few forwards was because he didn’t trust any of the others. Walcott was a surprising choice, but then he plays for Arsenal - or he will when he’s good enough.

If Sven had to wait till the end to make a substitution, he should have gone for David James to replace Robinson. Nothing wrong with Robinson, although he didn’t get near any of the penalties and looked as nervous as the takers, but I think it would have surprised the Portuguese to see a GK sub come on. Even if he the new GK is hopeless at saving penalties, the Portuguese might not know that. But James likes the limelight, he is a good shot stopper and is an imposing figure. Not that it would have made a lot of difference in the end.

In contrast to Sven, kudos to Domenech who has stumbled across a better formation and has gone with it. I’d be surprised if Portugal progress any further, but don’t write off the Italians. I had a feeling coming into the World Cup, that this could be Totti’s tournament.

Posted: 03 July 2006 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 752 ]

Same old problem. Sven cannot cope with a change in conditions like a sending off or a serious injury to one of his best players. There is no plan B. When Rooney went off - completing my double bet of him seeing red and Owen getting injured - I said it would be 0-0, because England were coping at the back but had no chance of scoring.

Sven’s body language indicated he had given up and didn’t know what to do.

I felt sorry for (amongst others) Peter Crouch, who won a lot of the ball, and held it up well, but to no avail, beacuse he had no help. The rest was tedium. Watching the Portuguese pass the ball back and forth across the area, then lose possession with an overhit cross (can Ronaldo actually cross a ball?) made me wish that neither team could go through. Argentina were more worthy semi-finalists.

The shootout result was predictable to say the least. Lampard would have been the last person I’d have let go first. Portugal were ready. Scolari’s preparation was more meticulous. He practices playing with 10 men and winning - do you think Sven does?

I assume Carragher was taking a kick because there were no actual strikers on the bench who could have a go…

Anyway, at least I still have money on one of the last 4, which will pay out if they finish in the 1st 3 (Italy), so there’s some interest.

Posted: 03 July 2006 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 753 ]

Thorsten Frings, you are a moron.

The Argentines are a class act.

Signature 

Is there aught we hold in common with the greedy parasite,
Who would lash us into serfdom and would crush us with his might?
Is there anything left to us but to organize and fight?

Posted: 03 July 2006 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 754 ]

Are you serious about the argentines being a class act? It seems from the stories like they incited the violence.

Signature 

*includes bacon unless otherwise specified.

Posted: 03 July 2006 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 755 ]

Are you serious about the argentines being a class act? It seems from the stories like they incited the violence.

Sarcasm travels poorly over the internet. They Argentines are total bums.

Signature 

Posted: 03 July 2006 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 756 ]

What channel is the game going to be on tomorrow. Stupid espn didn’t have it listed on their scoreboard.

Signature 

Posted: 03 July 2006 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 757 ]

those were some good quarters.
I lost a ton of money on brazil v france :(
Abidal and malouda made the brazil right side and Cafu look stupid.

England looked the better team, but just couldn’t find the finishing touch. Portugal should be better with Deco back.
Italy v germany a cracker.
France v portugal, meh

Posted: 03 July 2006 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 758 ]

might be abc if not espn

Posted: 04 July 2006 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 759 ]

I heard somebody on Team germany called Heinze a stupid Jew

Signature 

Less Racism, More Cowbell!

Posted: 04 July 2006 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 760 ]

I’ve enjoyed this game probably more than any other. Germany have been involved in some good games. Is that really Italy playing in blue? I hope they win otherwise they’ll tear up their new tactics and go back to catenaccio. I suppose they don’t want it to go to pens.

Posted: 04 July 2006 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 761 ]

Great game, played in pretty good spirit and the better team won. I haven’t felt so un-cynical about football for a long time.

Posted: 05 July 2006 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 762 ]

How disappointing. Unfortunately, the better team won.

Like I said above, Italy just look a different team when Camorano is on the field. So much more balanced. The match ebbed and flowed - Italy had a horrible period from about the 55th to the 75th minute - but ultimately they caused Germany all kinds of problems and they didn’t have answers. They really missed Frings - Kehl had a horrible game. And Borowski was anonymous - Schweinsteiger should have played. I don’t know why Borowski started the game instead of Schweinsteiger, but he could really have helped stop Germany getting overrun in midfield. It was easily their worst performance of the tournament, and it came at just the wrong time.

Portugal have no chance against France. I’m sorely tempted to put some money on France - evens to win in normal time, or 4/9 to win at any stage. Not good odds, but it’s so certain.

Posted: 05 July 2006 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 763 ]

Watching Italy step up a gear in that game was amazing. Glad I could enjoy football again after some terrible quarter finals.

Posted: 05 July 2006 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 764 ]

Only saw the highlights from last night but very relieved, as I stand to win about US$375 if Italy win the thing…

Posted: 05 July 2006 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 765 ]

Only saw the highlights from last night but very relieved, as I stand to win about US$375 if Italy win the thing?

So you’re gonna be pretty peeved when Trezeguet’s extra time goal sends them home second best, huh?

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2006 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 766 ]

That was a good game yesterday. And this lounge has been moving at just an absolute perfect pace for me. I’m always able to catch up if i miss a day or two.

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2006 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 767 ]

That was a close shot by maniche, and I have to respect his game, but I’ll be cheering for france in the one, if only so that I don’t have to see his ugly mug again. He’s hideous.

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2006 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 768 ]

Almost a dive by henry, but i think the tackle brought him down.

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2006 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 769 ]

Ronaldo, on the other hand, dove like a champion there.

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2006 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 770 ]

How the hell is this uruguayan ref still in the cup? Why hasn’t he been sent home?

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2006 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 771 ]

No foul. Get up, you sissy!

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2006 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 772 ]

Barthez is a clown.

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2006 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 773 ]

Barthez blows.

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2006 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 774 ]

Nice catch Barthez.

Posted: 05 July 2006 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 775 ]

Ricardo up, awesome!!!

Signature 

31 of 33