Members: Login | Register | Feedback

hr-rbi totals?
Posted: 25 June 2006 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]

something i’ve been idly wondering about for ages—

anyone know of a source for least & most rbi by hr total for a season? that is, i’m wondering about, say, who drove in the least & most runs by hr ... for instance, no doubt the record is crowded with guys who had only 1 rbi in a 1-hr season. but has anyone ever driven in, oh, only 3 runs in a 3-hr season? 5? etc. what’s the lowest total for someone with 15 hr? 25? ad nearly infinitum.

conversely, what’s the most rbi on a season by someone with 0 hr? (if i weren’t still achieving altertness on only my 2nd day off in 2 weeks, i’d look it up ... but didn’t tommy herr drive in 107 with 0 hr about 25 years ago? probably not—more likely, he set the modern record for most rbi with fewest hr, like 7. or something.) 1? 2? 26? etc etc etc.

expiring minds want to know ...

Posted: 25 June 2006 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

Your best bet for answering this would be to download the Lahman Database and run the numbers really quickly yourself.  An hour with Excel and the LD, and you’d have your answers.

Signature 

All comments by Jeff K. are opinions and are not presented as fact.  Jeff K.‘s statements should not be considered the opinions of Jeff K. management.

Posted: 25 June 2006 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
gef the talking mongoose - 25 June 2006 07:17 PM

something i’ve been idly wondering about for ages—

anyone know of a source for least & most rbi by hr total for a season? that is, i’m wondering about, say, who drove in the least & most runs by hr ... for instance, no doubt the record is crowded with guys who had only 1 rbi in a 1-hr season. but has anyone ever driven in, oh, only 3 runs in a 3-hr season? 5? etc. what’s the lowest total for someone with 15 hr? 25? ad nearly infinitum.

conversely, what’s the most rbi on a season by someone with 0 hr? (if i weren’t still achieving altertness on only my 2nd day off in 2 weeks, i’d look it up ... but didn’t tommy herr drive in 107 with 0 hr about 25 years ago? probably not—more likely, he set the modern record for most rbi with fewest hr, like 7. or something.) 1? 2? 26? etc etc etc.

expiring minds want to know ...

You can use the Lahman database to find the answers to all these questions and more. For example:

Most RBI-HR: 155, Sam Thompson, 1887 (166 RBI, 11 HR)
Modern: 143, Hank Greenberg, 1937 (183 RBI, 40 HR)

Most RBI, 0 HR: 121, Hughie Jennings, 1896
“Modern”: 108, Lave Cross, 1902
Post-WWII: 75, Ozzie Smith, 1987

Most HR, HR=RBI: 3, Dixie Howell, 1957; Jim Tyrone, 1974; Ned Yost, 1981; Rob Deer, 1984; Jim Gott, 1985