Members: Login | Register | Feedback

Uniform Numbers
Posted: 07 July 2006 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]

Hoping for assistance—

While at the SABR Convention, I bought a replica Pittsburgh Crawfords jersey, #17 from Ebbets Field Flannels.  I was told that Josh Gibson wore #17 for the Crawfords, but I’m unsure what year they wore my jersey or if Gibson did wear #17.

I searched the Internet in vain, but does anyone know where I might find uniform numbers for Negro League players, specifically the Pittsburgh Crawfords?

Posted: 07 July 2006 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

The only association I can find between Gibson and the number 17 is that he played in the Negro leagues for 17 years.

Posted: 08 July 2006 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

Yeah, that’s what I found too.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any sort of list of jersey numbers or anything to indicate that Gibson wore a number other than 17 for the Crawfords.

I was a bit surprised that there isn’t anything on the web.  There is the Negro Leagues book published by SABR, but I don’t have it and it probably won’t be at the local library.

Posted: 08 July 2006 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

I have a great baseball HOF fame book about African-American baseball and the Negro Leagues. I’ll scan the index and see if I can find something.

Posted: 20 August 2006 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]

I e-mailed the Negro League Hall of Fame in KC, MO as I had been there recently.  The reply I received states that the museum has no information regarding a uniform number for Gibson when he played for the Crawfords.  The only number they are aware of is #20 when he played for the Grays.

Signature 

“Right down the middle for a ball”
Harry Kalas
eCache

‹‹ Coors Field      Cubs at the break ››