Members: Login | Register | Feedback

Analyzing Jeff Francoeur’s Swing
Posted: 20 July 2006 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]

I posted another link like this in the ‘Atlanta Braves’ section of the forum because it was a video analysis of Marcus Giles

I came across a saber-analysis of Francoeur and already had been made aware of his pace to set a new record in out-making, so I wanted to find out more about why and how this is happening

The link below has some of my observations and conclusions.  It is a video analysis of Francoeur’s swing and comparison to Manny Ramirez:

http://blog.swingtraining.net/2006/07/18/jeff-francoeur-and-the-x-factor.aspx

as always, would appreciate thoughts/feedback

MG2

Posted: 20 July 2006 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

Great analysis…I love stuff like this.

A question regarding Francoeur’s lower body flying open like that - seems to me it would make him vulnerable to pitches on the outside part of the plate, especially breaking balls and off-speed stuff.  It seems like he’d end up off-balance, flailing away while trying to slow himself down.  Is that likely the case?

Braves fans (or MG2), do opposing teams try to pitch him outside?

Posted: 20 July 2006 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

I have not been watching his at bats close enough lately to notice a specific pattern.  I remember seeing him take a few balls to right and definately center, so I don’t see that he is pulling everything - just staying away might not be a total no-brainer.  Seems like he can cover the plate if he was looking away

The problem comes in adjustments.  A player with a quicker swing has more room for error if he is looking for a pitch in a certain spot, but it slightly fooled and is swinging anyways.  A “long” swing guy has to have perfect timing - hence the power but poor average.  Short swing guy can be a little off and still get the barrel on the ball

All the HR shots I have Francoeur show pitches right in the middle of the plate.

If I was a pitcher and saw the video of his swing and looked at the numbers I would pitch him anywhere that’s not in the strike zone

Posted: 24 July 2006 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

They pitch him breaking balls away, afaict.

We should really just look into getting you and bradford a blog link on the main page of the site, mg2, if you want people to see your site. These forums were just put up, and very few people check them.  Of course, maybe your informative posts will draw people to them.

Signature 

*includes bacon unless otherwise specified.

Posted: 25 July 2006 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]

I submitted the Francoeur article as a “news item” in hopes it would pop up in the newsstand but no luck

CBW mentioned to me the blog scetion idea, which seems like it could be a possibilty

I know he did a little something on Mark Prior and I’m working on A-rod