Members: Login | Register | Feedback

1 of 2
Better Lounge
Posted: 16 January 2012 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]

JMPH wrote a cool program. I tried to make it work on Chrome. I’m making this thread for discussions of either version.

Signature 

who the hell wanna battle the ill mathematical - my ############ brain is IBM-compatible

Posted: 16 January 2012 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
HCO, Transgressive Herbivore - 16 January 2012 08:44 PM

JMPH wrote a cool program. I tried to make it work on Chrome. I’m making this thread for discussions of either version.

Can you linky it again? I want to try it but don’t want to slog through the lounge yesty.

Signature 

Brett Lawrie ‏ @blawrie13
Wow do it @2Morrow23 that was some sickkkk stuff tonight maaa dudeeee , great game all around by the boyssss , @jparencibia9 swing it budd!!

Posted: 16 January 2012 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

Wait! Not a link. I need the instructions. I actually d/led the thing already…

Signature 

Wow do it @2Morrow23 that was some sickkkk stuff tonight maaa dudeeee , great game all around by the boyssss , @jparencibia9 swing it budd!!

Posted: 16 January 2012 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
HCO, Transgressive Herbivore - 16 January 2012 03:07 AM

SUCCESS!

JMPH’s Better Lounge, now for Chrome.

For now you’ll have to go to Wrench, Tools, Extensions, Developer mode, Load unpacked extension and load that ZIP file. I will try to get it into the Chrome Web Store tomorrow.

Or you could wait a day or two for me to get it into the Chrome Web Store.

Signature 

who the hell wanna battle the ill mathematical - my ############ brain is IBM-compatible

Posted: 17 January 2012 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joe Mauer Power Hour - 17 January 2012 11:58 AM

HCO, thanks for porting my script over to Chrome.  I’m curious to know what kind of effort went into making it work.  Was it just infrastructure-type stuff, or did you have to make changes to the code I wrote?

I had to overhaul completely how preferences get saved and loaded. However that was mostly a big search-replace on the equivalent functionality in EE Killfile. Within your functions, the only thing I had to change was the spot where you look for the autocollapse level.

Oh, I also had to package the version of jquery you used, which apparently is allowed.

Everything I did is in plaintext in the ZIP file, so you can just look at it yourself. Your code is in content_script.js so you can diff that against the Greasemonkey version.

Signature 

Posted: 17 January 2012 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]

Features
* Clicking “quote” opens the fast reply box with the quoted text.
* Fast reply box has quick formatting buttons like the main reply page does.
* Links are un-disguised so that you can easily read the target when you mouseover.  No more baseballthinkfactory.org URL prepended to them.
* Quoted posts have a toggle button on them to quickly collapse them.
* You can set a specific level of nested quotes to automatically collapse when the page loads.  For instance, if you set this to 2, the second quoted post will be automatically collapsed when the page loads.  This setting can be configured via the “Edit Lounge Preferences” link that appears at the bottom of the page when using the script.

Firefox installation
1) Install Greasemonkey, a free add-on for Firefox.  Greasemonkey lets you run custom scripts on web pages.  You will need to restart Firefox to finish the installation.
2) Click this link to load my script.  Greasemonkey should recognize it and ask you if you want to install it.  You do.
3) Next time you load a forum page, you should see all the wonderful features.

Posted: 17 January 2012 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]

It says it’s missing a manifest file. I will wait until it’s in the Web Store.

Signature 

Posted: 17 January 2012 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

Here’s the first try.

Signature 

Posted: 17 January 2012 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]

So then I got to thinking, the next time JMPH changes anything I am going to have to make all these same edits, and that will suck.

So I rearranged the code slightly such that all the browser-specific stuff is at the top and the common Javascript is all below it. Mostly that involved moving one big chunk of code from up in the file. The only real change is that CollapseZiggies takes a number as a parameter instead of figuring out the number itself.

So, JMPH, can you take a look at what I did to better_lounge.user.js in the zip file and see if it makes sense? There should be no functional difference. Thanks!

Signature 

Posted: 17 January 2012 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator

I’ve been following these projects for a little while. Ya know, I’m perfectly good with working with you guys to make the lounge/site experience better. You might want to pass some of your thoughts by me before spending time on things, though. First, you might save yourself some time. (I’ve already turned off the Rank Denial on links.) Second, it will avoid a situation where you spend a bunch of time working on something only to have it get broken when I change things. There are going to be a lot of changes to how things are set up. I’d love to be able to incorporate your ideas and work to save us all time and make this place the best it can be.

I’d really appreciate whatever help I can get to make this place a better experience for everybody.

Posted: 17 January 2012 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]

Thanks Jim. I can’t speak for JMPH but most of the stuff I’ve done has not been because I had a problem with how the site worked. It’s just been for my own education and fun.

Signature 

Posted: 18 January 2012 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
HCO, Transgressive Herbivore - 17 January 2012 10:33 PM

Thanks Jim. I can’t speak for JMPH but most of the stuff I’ve done has not been because I had a problem with how the site worked. It’s just been for my own education and fun.

Yeah, exactly the same for me.  I wanted to learn more about Greasemonkey and jQuery, and I saw an opportunity to monkey around a little with some code for fun.  I certainly don’t want it to be interpreted as “that Jim sure is a lazy bum and won’t implement these features himself, so here you go!”  I hope it hasn’t been interpreted that way.

Posted: 18 January 2012 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Joe Mauer Power Hour - 18 January 2012 11:56 AM
HCO, Transgressive Herbivore - 17 January 2012 10:33 PM

Yeah, exactly the same for me.  I wanted to learn more about Greasemonkey and jQuery, and I saw an opportunity to monkey around a little with some code for fun.  I certainly don’t want it to be interpreted as “that Jim sure is a lazy bum and won’t implement these features himself, so here you go!”  I hope it hasn’t been interpreted that way.

I apologize that I wasn’t clear enough with my previous note. I am not taking this negatively at all. Believe me, I know the site has issues that need correction. I am just asking for help and feedback in pinpointing and then fixing the issues the best way possible.

I haven’t always had time to be as responsive and timely as I should be. It wasn’t because of a lack of desire; it was a lack of time due to my personal/work life. Right now, however, I have a wife encouraging me to take the time needed to accomplish the things I have been talking about wanting to do for the three years that she’s known me. She is encouraging me in good part because of the things site members have posted about the BBTF on Facebook. She recognizes how much the site means to so many people and knows how much it means to me.

So, please take this in the spirit that I intend, a thankful request for help and input on making this place as good as it can be.

Posted: 25 January 2012 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]

OK, I updated Better Lounge on Chrome to handle the new layout of the Lounge. For Greasemonkey you can get it in the ZIP file linked above in the file better_lounge.user.js.

JMPH, we should probably get a source repo somewhere.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
HCO, Transgressive Herbivore - 25 January 2012 09:17 PM

OK, I updated Better Lounge on Chrome to handle the new layout of the Lounge. For Greasemonkey you can get it in the ZIP file linked above in the file better_lounge.user.js.

JMPH, we should probably get a source repo somewhere.

Good idea.  I’d be happy to let you set that up, since you’re more familiar with github and such than I am (since my familiarity with github is approximately zero).  Just let me know what I need to do to start using it.

Posted: 27 January 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]

For easy maintenance, I think these are our requirements:
* One source JS file that we update, with scripts that generate Chrome and Firefox versions.  It looks like you’ve structured it like this already, so that’s good.
* Easy linkable versions of each for easy install.  Specifically for Firefox, being able to link directly to the .user.js file.  Seems like we’d be able to do that easily with a setup like you have for the killfile.  Not sure what the requirement would be for Firefox.

Let me know what your thoughts are.  I’m excited to collaborate on this instead of duplicating efforts.

Posted: 29 January 2012 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator

I’ve installed your scripts in my browsers. If you are interested and willing, I’d like to incorporate your scripts within the forum itself. One added advantage is I can allow visitors to turn on/off some of the functionality within their user profile. A second advantage is we can ensure that the scripts don’t get broken if the design changes.

Just a thought.

Posted: 30 January 2012 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Jim Furtado - 29 January 2012 09:16 AM

I’ve installed your scripts in my browsers. If you are interested and willing, I’d like to incorporate your scripts within the forum itself. One added advantage is I can allow visitors to turn on/off some of the functionality within their user profile. A second advantage is we can ensure that the scripts don’t get broken if the design changes.

Just a thought.

I’m definitely open to that.  Do let me know if you need anything from me to make it happen, and I’ll see what I can do for you.

Posted: 02 July 2012 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]

Some noticed that at some point, Greasmonkey stopped grabbing javascripts, so I uploaded the script to userscripts.org so you can just click “install.”  That should work.

I also made a small change to fix a bug when quoting user’s with colored text.

Link: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/135226

Posted: 26 September 2012 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
JMPH - 26 September 2012 11:54 AM
HCO treats functions as first-class citizens - 26 September 2012 11:33 AM
Gold Star - just Gold Star - 26 September 2012 11:28 AM

And now I find a new issue, post-installation of Shock’s Better Lounge script: When I hit “quote” to reply, I’m taken to the top of the page. I like Chrome enough to slowly switch over from Firefox, especially w/my home computer+FF setup having difficulty with Java, but it’s these little glitches that prevent me from a full embrace.

Yeah I meant to ask JMPH about that in the Better Lounge thread. You can work around it by going into your settings, deselecting “Quote link opens in Fast Reply box”, and hitting Save.

I’m pretty awful, in that I’ve stopped eating my own dogfood—I don’t use the Fast Reply quoting anymore.  The site performance has improved enough for me that I don’t feel as much of a need for it anymore.

I remember that the way I scrolled to the bottom was pretty hacktacular, and I’m guessing Chrome doesn’t like it much after a recent update.  I can investigate a solution this evening potentially.

HCO—maybe we should have this discussion in the other thread, but can we use your GitHub repo as the source of truth for this?  That way the burden doesn’t fall on just one person to fix these sorts of things that come up.

Well, there is no github repo as yet. I will try to get that up tonight. I don’t have access to the code from where I am right now.

The issue seems to be that the ScrollTo statement in the “open fast reply” function now goes to the top instead of the bottom.

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2012 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]

Hey guys, I fixed the issue. I tried to attach a zip to the post but it is slightly over the 75KB limit.

Please download it here: http://www.hockeyhunter.com/shared/BetterLounge0.3.zip

All I did to fix the issue was trim down the coordinates.  Scrolling to 0,99999999999 was too much for Chrome to handle.  Scrolling to 0,9999999 works fine.

Agree that setting up a repo would be great.  I am willing to work on the script as well.  Thanks JMPH and HCO!

Posted: 26 September 2012 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]

There is a github repo now.

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2012 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]

I am falling asleep here but I’ll update the web store tomorrow.

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2012 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]

Thanks for the repo.  FYI—I cannot push my changes to it.  “You do not have permission to push changes to this repository.”

Posted: 27 September 2012 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]

Sigh, everything has apparently changed since I last touched this. I now have to re-learn the Chrome extension API entirely. Sorry. The repo is updated though. If you want to email me (or post here) your github usernames and/or Google accounts I will make you collaborators on both.

Signature 

Posted: 30 September 2012 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]

OK, it took forever and I had to unlearn basically everything I thought I knew about Chrome extensions but it now scrolls properly AND saves preferences properly. As a side benefit, it should now sync your preferences across multiple browsers, though I haven’t really tested that.

Signature 

1 of 2