Members: Login | Register | Feedback

‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
4 of 56
Lycanthropy Think Factory 2012
Posted: 27 January 2012 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
BourbonSamurai is not Fausto Carmona - 27 January 2012 01:27 PM
bads85 - 27 January 2012 01:21 PM

So are Bourbon’s dead goats werewolf related, or a result of village politics/personal squabbles?

I’m betting werewolves, since anyone out early enough to be killing my goats is probably a werewolf anyway. Or a weregoat.

Either way, I demand compensation.

Is there some sort of town heirarchy to listen to your demands? My bet is that your mouth will be yoru own undoing, so the more you talk, the sooner our village will be safe again.

Oh, are there any hot widows in town? Even schoolmasters have needs.

Signature 

Headed up the coast with my only Jewish Mexican friend\nFound a bar in Arcadia it was the means to an end\nIn the alley for a smoke, got beat up by some Aryan goons\nLying in my blood I said hey Juan, does this mean I\‘m still a gringo?\n\nDead Religions

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
JGLB Will Soon Be A Sad Old Man - 27 January 2012 01:22 PM
Flounder: Avowed enemy of inconvenience - 27 January 2012 01:20 PM
JGLB Will Soon Be A Sad Old Man - 27 January 2012 01:03 PM
CW hits the pinata for the candy - 27 January 2012 12:56 PM
JGLB Will Soon Be A Sad Old Man - 27 January 2012 12:53 PM
CW hits the pinata for the candy - 27 January 2012 12:48 PM
JGLB Will Soon Be A Sad Old Man - 27 January 2012 12:46 PM
CW hits the pinata for the candy - 27 January 2012 12:34 PM
JGLB Will Soon Be A Sad Old Man - 27 January 2012 12:31 PM

So come now people, who should the Seer investigate?

Presumably you or JLAC, going by experience, if you are correct and I’ve already been “seen.”

Well that is assuming the seer is anyone who’s ever played with you. So my preferences for the seer are as follows.

1. CW
2. JLAC
3. Everyone else who hasn’t posted yet.
4. The rest of the people who have posted.
5. Myself

Can you explain why you put yourself so low?

Because I already know I’m human, and I want the seer finding were-beasts not humans. To go further, I put the two most experienced players 1-2 because we finding out who the most experienced players are first helps more than just picking randomly.

Yes, but you’d claim to be human regardless of whether or not you were. I mean, I know I’m human too. So since you claim to be human and I claim to be human, should we then put JLAC at the top of the list? Or once JLAC posts that he’s human (and I expect that he will), should we then conclude that there are no wolves and the seer is wasting his time looking at anyone at all?

That’s an absured turn in logic. How about this, list your preferences not including yourself, then we can have a consensus opinion for the seer, and then we can get down to brass tacks, and randomly murder someone for looking funny.

So, I dont understand why we would even want consensus.  You are giving the wolves input, and they would use that to their own nefarious ends.  We would be much better suited in killing someone.

Disagree, the wolves begin the game with more information than the villagers, we are trying to level things a bit by giving the seer information, especially if the seer has already divined the identity of a wolf (I know, an admittedly small chance).

Eh, I think our energies are better suited elsewhere.

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
CW hits the pinata for the candy - 27 January 2012 01:24 PM

What information are we giving the seer, though? I know you listed me first for how I’ve done in previous games, but that doesn’t really affect my probability of being a werewolf. Just like your experience doesn’t really affect your probability of being a werewolf.

Experience doesn’t affect probability, but it’s a great proxy for efficiency. We’re giving the seer a second voting pattern to analyze, which admittedly doesn’t begin to pay off immediately, we can still attempt to infer roles from it.

Signature 

Drink Along With Me! JugLub’s Semi-Whenever-He-Feels-Like It Beer Rating Thread

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
bads85 - 27 January 2012 01:31 PM

So are Bourbon’s dead goats werewolf related, or a result of village politics/personal squabbles?

I’m betting werewolves, since anyone out early enough to be killing my goats is probably a werewolf anyway. Or a weregoat.

Is there some sort of town heirarchy to listen to your demands? My bet is that your mouth will be yoru own undoing, so the more you talk, the sooner our village will be safe again.

No one has stepped up to be our mayor or chief or anything. So far we have various drunks, strangers, the beloved goat farmer (me), and a horny schoolteacher.

Signature 

I came here in peace, seeking gold and slaves.

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]

Maybe we should make goat-killing a game within the game. Like Ms. Astro Chicken in Space Quest IV or Tuna Diver in Maniac Mansion. Whoever kills the most goats gets to cast two votes.

Signature 

who the hell wanna battle the ill mathematical - my ############ brain is IBM-compatible

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
CW hits the pinata for the candy - 27 January 2012 01:31 PM

The more I think about it, the more I don’t see the sense to JGLB’s list idea. At least two players (the werewolves) have an incentive to lie about their lists. (The seer may also have an incentive to lie.) They’re also the only two players who know which players are villagers, and thus are more likely to submit honest ballots. So the werewolves get a LOT more information out of the lists than any of the villagers would.

How do the werewolves get more information?

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
JGLB Will Soon Be A Sad Old Man - 27 January 2012 01:33 PM

The more I think about it, the more I don’t see the sense to JGLB’s list idea. At least two players (the werewolves) have an incentive to lie about their lists. (The seer may also have an incentive to lie.) They’re also the only two players who know which players are villagers, and thus are more likely to submit honest ballots. So the werewolves get a LOT more information out of the lists than any of the villagers would.

Every villager gets to see eight lists, other than his own, three of which are likely deceitful, and has no idea which are honest and which are lies. Every wolf gets to see eight lists other than his own, two of which are likely deceitful, and knows the identity of one of the dishonest ballots.

Signature 

You don’t give up.  You should, but you don’t.

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
BourbonSamurai is not Fausto Carmona - 27 January 2012 01:33 PM

No one has stepped up to be our mayor or chief or anything. So far we have various drunks, strangers, the beloved goat farmer (me), and a horny schoolteacher.

(Raises hand)

I believe you have dubbed me the town accountant.

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Flounder: Avowed enemy of inconvenience - 27 January 2012 01:37 PM

(Raises hand)

I believe you have dubbed me the town accountant.

Oh right! I assume you will notarize this form indicating I am owed 10 dollarbucks per deceased goat then.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]

I mean, the wolves know exactly who the seer should look at. But the seer knows better than the other villagers who to look at - the seer knows who he’s already looked at, so he can narrow down the options, and has more perspective on interpreting everyone’s posts. And if the seer does use the list to figure out who to look at, the wolves can use the same list to figure out who to kill and “waste” the seer’s knowledge.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
CW hits the pinata for the candy - 27 January 2012 01:36 PM

Every villager gets to see eight lists, other than his own, three of which are likely deceitful, and has no idea which are honest and which are lies. Every wolf gets to see eight lists other than his own, two of which are likely deceitful, and knows the identity of one of the dishonest ballots.

I understand the mechanics, but what information do the wolves get that is useful in them staying hidden, and/or finding the seer?

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
JGLB Will Soon Be A Sad Old Man - 27 January 2012 01:41 PM
CW hits the pinata for the candy - 27 January 2012 01:36 PM

I understand the mechanics, but what information do the wolves get that is useful in them staying hidden, and/or finding the seer?

As noted above, knowing who the seer is likely to vote for could be very useful to the wolves, maybe not in finding the seer but rendering them less useful.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
CW hits the pinata for the candy - 27 January 2012 01:40 PM

I mean, the wolves know exactly who the seer should look at. But the seer knows better than the other villagers who to look at - the seer knows who he’s already looked at, so he can narrow down the options, and has more perspective on interpreting everyone’s posts. And if the seer does use the list to figure out who to look at, the wolves can use the same list to figure out who to kill and “waste” the seer’s knowledge.

I see it differently, in that the seer gains information if the wolves act out against someone who is suspicious of them. We want the wolves talking, we we want to see inconsistencies in words and actions.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
JGLB Will Soon Be A Sad Old Man - 27 January 2012 01:44 PM

I see it differently, in that the seer gains information if the wolves act out against someone who is suspicious of them. We want the wolves talking, we we want to see inconsistencies in words and actions.

But your list doesn’t feature any “suspicions,” since unless you’re a wolf or a seer you can’t have known anything of consequence when you made that list.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]

And just by random chance, JGLB, it’s twice as likely that you’re a random villager as a wolf or seer, and twice as likely that you’re a wolf than that you’re a seer.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]

I think delusional is more apt than beloved. My question is does a heirarchy matter to the game, or are we just villagers awaiting their fate?

Strangers are always suspicious. They usually roll into town and bang someone’s unrequited love. Remember in Pale Rider when Clint Eastwood rebuffed Phoebe Cates to nail her mom instead? That is the type of trouble strangers bring to town. And exactly what is our setting? A traditional European village? Wild West town? Albany?

And I am not really horny; I just have a desire to be held.

Signature 

Headed up the coast with my only Jewish Mexican friend\nFound a bar in Arcadia it was the means to an end\nIn the alley for a smoke, got beat up by some Aryan goons\nLying in my blood I said hey Juan, does this mean I\‘m still a gringo?\n\nDead Religions

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
CW hits the pinata for the candy - 27 January 2012 01:46 PM

But your list doesn’t feature any “suspicions,” since unless you’re a wolf or a seer you can’t have known anything of consequence when you made that list.

Exactly! A human’s list at this point in the game is just noise, we want the wolves putting out a list so we can analyze them.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]

As I said before, and CW mentioned, giving the wolves input hurts the humans. 

I also think we sghuold just agree to diagree on this.

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
bads85 - 27 January 2012 01:51 PM

I think delusional is more apt than beloved. My question is does a heirarchy matter to the game, or are we just villagers awaiting their fate?

Strangers are always suspicious. They usually roll into town and bang someone’s unrequited love. Remember in Pale Rider when Clint Eastwood rebuffed Phoebe Cates to nail her mom instead? That is the type of trouble strangers bring to town. And exactly what is our setting? A traditional European village? Wild West town? Albany?

And I am not really horny; I just have a desired to be held.

In the context of the game, there is no rank or station - everyone’s vote counts equally come time to hang.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]

I think we can just make up anything we want, which is what I am doing since it is the first day and we have no evidence to go on. Vaugely european village seems a good werewolfy type place.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
CW hits the pinata for the candy - 27 January 2012 01:53 PM

In the context of the game, there is no rank or station - everyone’s vote counts equally come time to hang.

So backstory is important then? We shouldn’t be suspicious of the stanger or the ramblings of the insane goat herder because we all have a time to hang? And now we have a bean counter in our midst.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
bads85 - 27 January 2012 01:58 PM

So backstory is important then? We shouldn’t be suspicious of the stanger or the ramblings of the insane goat herder because we all have a time to hang? And now we have a bean counter in our midst.

Backstory doesn’t matter at all. HCO randomly assigns werewolves and seers, without respect to what any of us claim in here.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2012 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
CW hits the pinata for the candy - 27 January 2012 01:59 PM

Backstory doesn’t matter at all. HCO randomly assigns werewolves and seers, without respect to what any of us claim in here.

I don’t mean to be obtuse, but then what are we voting on? And is there a man of the cloth in this village, or are we pagans?

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
bads85 - 27 January 2012 02:03 PM

I don’t mean to be obtuse, but then what are we voting on? And is there a man of the cloth in this village, or are we pagans?

This village was founded upon the twin principles of freedom of religion and not being murdered by werewolves. So far the only principle under threat is the one about werewolves.

As for what we’re voting on? Frankly, nothing at all, unless we get really lucky like the time Paul D pulled the “hey I’m the seer” stunt and gave himself away as the werewolf. We’re pretty much voting randomly here and hoping we hit the 2/9 chance that we get a wolf.

Signature 

Posted: 27 January 2012 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
bads85 - 27 January 2012 02:03 PM

Personally I worship the god Vidar, known enemy of wolves.

Signature 

‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
4 of 56