Members: Login | Register | Feedback

[Under Consideration] Ignore Thread By Tag
Posted: 20 February 2012 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]

It seems like the best ways to avoid seeing threads that you’re not interested is to not go there, but it’s usually not perfectly clear where the thread is going from the title.  If we have the ability to modify the tags on the fly, then perhaps this will help.

Since I have a decent chance of finding pretty much anything interesting, this feature doesn’t directly do anything for me, but it could really help satisfy two goals at the same time: keeping all of the threads that I care to read on the mainland, and keeping political content hidden from people who have no interest in reading.

It would require a bit of care in managing the tags, but I think we should be doing that anyway.

Posted: 20 February 2012 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

CB,

There is some “gotchas” with that approach.  The hijacking is rampant around here, sometimes it’s just a progression of the material linked, other times it makes no sense.  How many star wars hijacked posts in does a thread about Jay Bruce get the “Star Wars” tag?  Then where do the handful of Red’s fan go to discuss the material?  I assume this has to be community driven, the admins can’t set around and constant update and manage tags.

The other approach of having preset “OT” threads (with appropriate tags) set up for many catch all conversations is not as organic as BTF has been for at least the years I’ve been around here, and I would assume lead to less OT conversations.  No need to have the same debate when you can reference it 5 pages back in the same thread.  On second thought, I’m not sure about that, seems the Castro thread started to repeat itself after a while.

I think tagging will work great for many things; football, basketball, politics, etc; but will be hard to manage for the hijacks. 

Posted: 20 February 2012 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

I was thinking more like “off-topic” as a tag, as opposed to specific off-topic tags.  I think it’s really more about policing serious offenders that clog Hot Topics, so it’s not like we’re going to have too much trouble finding offenders.

Posted: 20 February 2012 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

It sounds like (from what Jim said in the other thread) that people will be able to flag threads that veer off-topic.  If enough people flag it, then it’s brought to the attention of the mods (who would presumably move it to the off-topic area).  That’s a nice way of dealing with it, so long as the threshold for off-topic-ness isn’t set too high.  It shouldn’t take more than a handful of people signaling that a thread has gone off the rails for someone to notice and fix it.

Posted: 21 February 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]

So am I to understand there is going to be a generic “off-topic” label, not a series of tags like Star Wars, politics, soccer, etc.  So in order to see the politics & college football material, I’ll still be exposed to the threads about pavement and comic books?

Posted: 21 February 2012 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator

I had planned to add a simple off-topic field but incorporating off-topic tags would definitely be a more granular approach. I need to think about how to be implement it because the current implementation of tagging software that I’m using adds an additional query per link.

Posted: 22 February 2012 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
hokieneer - 21 February 2012 12:10 PM

So am I to understand there is going to be a generic “off-topic” label, not a series of tags like Star Wars, politics, soccer, etc.  So in order to see the politics & college football material, I’ll still be exposed to the threads about pavement and comic books?

I can’t help but think that a series of tags will simply accelerate the centrifugal effect of off-topic threads. Once upon a time we had one thread intended for all off-topic topics. Now, as a matter of policy, we have dedicated off-topic threads, which was unimaginable in 2002, when I arrived here on a regular basis. Of course, change is good, but this is fundamentally a baseball site. Allowing tagging of individual off-topics will simply continue the process of turning this into some kind of conglomerate site, which originally consisted of a lot of sabermetrically inclined baseball fans. I do not consider that a good thing.

One ‘off-topic’ tag is good enough.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 22 February 2012 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator

fra, when viewed through the prism of the current site design, I would agree with you. Within the set-up that I am working on, I don’t. This is a baseball site. It’s been the focus since day one. It will continue to be its focus.

In the redesign baseball will be forefront. For non-members it will be essentially all they see, other than a few links within the navigation menus. From there, it will be up to the individual person to choose to see the other content. Members will have the ability to add the off-topic to the sitewide Hot Topics. Member will also be able to subscribe to the content for viewing on their customized homepage, if they so choose to bother to set one up.

Posted: 22 February 2012 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]

I guess I wonder if there will need to be some stricter policing of tags on submissions in order for this to work. Or some other way of controlling things. There are many articles posted under multiple tags, and rightfully so in most cases, aside from the winky “Obituaries” tag at times and such, which isn’t a big deal at the moment.

But if someone submits something that can be rightfully called off-topic, but also tangentially related to the Mets or something, how does the user, registered or not, keep that from entering his field of vision, since it is tagged ‘Mets”?

Posted: 22 February 2012 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator

Content will be able to be submitted into five separate channels: 1) Baseball, 2) Football, 3) Basketball, 4) Other Sports, and 5) Politics. Each channel will have its unique tagging group. Members will also be able to flag content for review by the editors, who can then, in turn, mark the conversation as off-topic within the channel or close the entry if it is a redundant link. If editors aren’t available to review the content, at a certain threshold flagged content will automatically be marked as off-topic. If I get reports or notice that content is being improperly flagged, I will review the information and, if I find a person or group is trying to rig the system in some way, their ability to flag content will be removed. Additionally, new members will have a waiting period before they may flag content.

Users will be able subscribe to tags. The subscribed content will show on each member’s customized homepage. Members can also choose whether off-topic conversations display within their Hot Topics or not. They can also choose the additional channels as well.

Posted: 24 February 2012 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Jim Furtado - 22 February 2012 01:25 PM

Content will be able to be submitted into five separate channels: 1) Baseball, 2) Football, 3) Basketball, 4) Other Sports, and 5) Politics.

Is it me, or does soccer seem to be more popular here than football? Just in terms of thinking about the potential to ‘go global’, I’d at least add soccer as a channel if it is possible to have more than five.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!