Members: Login | Register | Feedback

1 of 2
Lounge Back on Mainland with Searchability disabled?
Posted: 20 February 2012 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]

I didn’t realize that there was a searchability issue, but if that’s resolved, I’d love to have the Lounge back with the rest of the site and the friendlier interface.

Posted: 20 February 2012 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
CrosbyBird - 20 February 2012 04:56 PM

I didn’t realize that there was a searchability issue, but if that’s resolved, I’d love to have the Lounge back with the rest of the site and the friendlier interface.

I’m not sure what the Lounge generally would think of this, but I personally am 100% opposed. I’m happy in the forums.

Signature 

Brett Lawrie ‏ @blawrie13
Wow do it @2Morrow23 that was some sickkkk stuff tonight maaa dudeeee , great game all around by the boyssss , @jparencibia9 swing it budd!!

Posted: 20 February 2012 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
J. Lowenstein Apathy Club - 20 February 2012 05:05 PM

I’m not sure what the Lounge generally would think of this, but I personally am 100% opposed. I’m happy in the forums.

Same here, and I’d be surprised if this had a lot of support in the Lounge.  We’ve had plenty of discussion lately in the Lounge about how the experience could be enhanced, and the most popular opinion seems to be “leave it alone.”

Posted: 20 February 2012 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
J. Lowenstein Apathy Club - 20 February 2012 05:05 PM

As am I.  I would greatly prefer it if the Lounge did not return to the Mainland, to the point that I would likely quit the Lounge if it did.

Posted: 20 February 2012 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RJ in TO - 20 February 2012 05:16 PM

As am I.  I would greatly prefer it if the Lounge did not return to the Mainland, to the point that I would likely quit the Lounge if it did.

There were similar comments when the lounge moved to the forums in the first place.  Anyway, I’m happy with the lounge where it is, and see no good reason to change.

Signature 

Time for the annual post on my Braves blog

Posted: 20 February 2012 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]

I would dislike that. The Mainland could have it’s own Salon with whatever technological enhancements Jim implements, but I would leave us misfits in the Lounge alone.

Signature 

But, I digress.

Posted: 20 February 2012 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]

Concur with the rest of the zoo.

Signature 

Drink Along With Me! JugLub’s Semi-Whenever-He-Feels-Like It Beer Rating Thread

Posted: 20 February 2012 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

No. If the rabble wants to lounge they will come to the forums.

Signature 

Contents under pressure. Cap may blow off causing eye or other serious injury. Point away from face and people, especially when opening.

Posted: 20 February 2012 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]

Wow, I didn’t realize that so many people liked the Lounge in the forums.  Frankly, I’m not going to commit to adding enough additional value to the Lounge to push for a big move.

I actually stopped posting in the Lounge because of the interface change.  I just assumed that people cared less about the interface than I did, but I wasn’t aware that anyone actually preferred it that way.  You learn something new every day.

Although now I’m curious: what could you possibly prefer about it?  I’d have said it was objectively inferior as an interface by nature of content-to-whitespace ratio, requiring additional scrolling and making it much more difficult to follow long threads.  Is there some technological solution (other than eliminating avatar pics and reasonable cut-and-paste jobs)?

Is it just the nature of the Lounge that the participants want only the last few posts to be relevant?

Posted: 20 February 2012 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
CrosbyBird - 20 February 2012 07:07 PM

Wow, I didn’t realize that so many people liked the Lounge in the forums.  Frankly, I’m not going to commit to adding enough additional value to the Lounge to push for a big move.

I actually stopped posting in the Lounge because of the interface change.  I just assumed that people cared less about the interface than I did, but I wasn’t aware that anyone actually preferred it that way.  You learn something new every day.

Although now I’m curious: what could you possibly prefer about it?  I’d have said it was objectively inferior as an interface by nature of content-to-whitespace ratio, requiring additional scrolling and making it much more difficult to follow long threads.  Is there some technological solution (other than eliminating avatar pics and reasonable cut-and-paste jobs)?

Is it just the nature of the Lounge that the participants want only the last few posts to be relevant?

Bernal is our Minister of Lounge Status.  I’ll leave it to him to answer your questions.

Signature 

The Shadow Shadow Lounge

Posted: 20 February 2012 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]

Keep the current format.

Signature 

I don’t know Jaffe from a hole in the wall; he’s not a friend of mine or something .  .  .  He does really good research. .  .  .  and I learned a great deal from reading his book. —Bill James

“Way back in the 20th century, Bill James wrote the first essential book about baseball managers. Chris Jaffe has just written the second.”—Rob Neyer

Posted: 20 February 2012 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
CrosbyBird - 20 February 2012 07:07 PM

One of the main reasons it was moved to the forums is because the high volume of posting/reloading was causing havoc on the servers.

Signature 

Adam Sandler: “Yeah, that’s right. I collect antiquities. I’m a serious person. I’m writing a movie right now about the Russian revolution.”
Peralta: “Oh really, who does Kevin James play?”
Adam Sandler: “Ha, it’s a serious movie ... Trotsky. But he has a wife who never wears a bra.”

- Brooklyn 99

My book reviews

Posted: 20 February 2012 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]

I’d like to vote for change I can believe in.

Signature 

The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach, is joy.

Posted: 20 February 2012 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]

People don’t like change, generally.  Way back when, people who hung out in the Lounge weren’t happy about the proposed switch to the forum and some left as a result.  Others hung around and got used to it.  I think the big feature that many of us feel is important to it is that the Lounge is off the radar, generally speaking.  Google doesn’t snoop it, so you have to look for it to find it.  An upshot of this, and something that has promoted more of a community sense, is that by being off of a search index radar people are a little more free to share details about their lives than they might if it were hung out for all the world to Google.  To some extent to the Lounge experience is replicated on the main site in the dedicated off-topic threads for teh NBA, college sports, association football and what not as well as the threads that wander into discussions of Pavement, politics and puffins.
My vote is to let the sleeping dogs lie.  Things with it are fine as they are. Not broke, no fix.

Signature 

I wanted, I think, to acknowledge Luck: the chance of it, the benevolence of it in my life, and the brutality of it in the lives of others; made especially savage for children because they may not be allowed the good fortune of a lifetime to correct it. - Paul Newman, on why he created the Hole in the Wall Camp.

Posted: 20 February 2012 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]

I also like the quoting feature of the lounge.  I find conversations easier to follow here than on the mainland.

Signature 

Everybody’s doing it…

My retirement plan

Posted: 21 February 2012 01:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]

Paul is correct. Mainland conversations are almost impossible for me to follow—it’s much harder to tell who is responding to who.

Posted: 21 February 2012 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator

As I’ve said quiet a few times, it ultimately doesn’t matter to me whether it stays in the Forums or not. To ensure people make an informed decision, I am available to answer questions and provide input about specific issues. Although I know the topic has been discussed within assorted Lounges, rehashing the discussion here would be advisable, to make sure as many Loungers have an informed say about the issue.

With changes/improvements to our underlying Content Management System (CMS) and the upgrade of our servers, the reasons I originally moved the Lounge to the Forums are now moot. I can now easily prevent the Lounge from being Googled. The server is sufficiently powerful enough and our new caching system flexible enough that I can provide non-cached comments (previously described by Loungers as “stuck comments”) with very minimal, acceptable impact to the site. The template structure in the main part of the site is far more flexible and more easily managed than the template structure of the Forums, so it is easier for me to style comments in a much simpler manner. List the addition of threaded comments (which will be able to be turned off within your profile) tangents within long conversations will be much easier to follow.

Again, I will respect the desires of the majority of Loungers.

Posted: 21 February 2012 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]

I too find the Lounge to be a much better interface than the mainsite.  I’d rather it stay where it is.

Signature 

The human understanding, when it has once adopted an opinion, draws all things else to support and agree with it. And though there be a greater number and weight of instances to be found on the other side, yet these it either neglects and despises, or else by some distinction sets aside and rejects; in order that by this great and pernicious predetermination the authority of its former conclusions may remain inviolate.—Francis Bacon

Posted: 21 February 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]

Neka bude bez promjena.

Signature 

This album was recorded under the influence of Sahlep.

Posted: 21 February 2012 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Vrhovnik - 21 February 2012 08:35 AM

Neka bude bez promjena.

Is this a gypsy curse?

Signature 

Drink Along With Me! JugLub’s Semi-Whenever-He-Feels-Like It Beer Rating Thread

Posted: 21 February 2012 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]

Thanks, Jim. I vote in favor of no change in location for the Lounge and against a personalized option for threading comments. 

I don’t object to there being an alternative daily off-topic thread on the Mainland. It might be a good safety valve for threads that go astray. It could be used to direct conversation to the [Salon], instead of “take it to the Forums” or closing down threads.

Signature 

But, I digress.

Posted: 21 February 2012 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]

Doesn’t seem like this needs any more support, but this is another leave it here, as it is, vote.

Posted: 21 February 2012 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]

Prefer the lounge where it is. Thanks!

Signature 

I came here in peace, seeking gold and slaves.

Posted: 21 February 2012 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]

Ah, the problem with stuck comments.  I had forgotten all about that (and the frantic refreshing it required).  Seems like forever ago…

EDIT: Just to add something that’s actually on topic, I think it would be nice to integrate the Lounge and the Main Site.  I always preferred the old version back before the forums.  But I don’t lounge all that much any more, so I would defer to those who spend more time there now than I do.

Posted: 21 February 2012 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]

I prefer the briar patch.

Signature 

Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires.

Posted: 21 February 2012 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
DCW3 - 21 February 2012 01:55 AM

Paul is correct. Mainland conversations are almost impossible for me to follow—it’s much harder to tell who is responding to who.

These two are right about this. If there’s something in the new-and-improved BTF that would make it easier to see who’s being quoted, I think folks would be interested in seeing what it looks like. Otherwise, the more interactive nature of the typical Lounge seems to be better served by the forum format.

Signature 

“For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.”

1 of 2