Members: Login | Register | Feedback

2 of 2
Lounge Back on Mainland with Searchability disabled?
Posted: 21 February 2012 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]

I initially opposed the lounge moving to the forums.  Now I prefer that it stay where it is.  Anyone who wants to find it can use the link on the homepage.

Posted: 21 February 2012 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]

I think I like the Lounge where it is. Moving it to the Mainland would mean lurkers could see it without registering, correct? (that isn’t my only reason, BTW)

Posted: 21 February 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Paul D (AKA The Other Canadian) - 20 February 2012 10:42 PM

I also like the quoting feature of the lounge.  I find conversations easier to follow here than on the mainland.

Yes.  I like it here.

Posted: 21 February 2012 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]

A lot of forums I used to be on kept a members-only chat/offtopic section that wasn’t publically searchable. It’s not just the “no Google”, it’s the “must be a registered user” that makes this a community.

Posted: 21 February 2012 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Paul D (AKA The Other Canadian) - 20 February 2012 10:42 PM

I also like the quoting feature of the lounge.  I find conversations easier to follow here than on the mainland.

DCW3 - 21 February 2012 01:55 AM

Paul is correct. Mainland conversations are almost impossible for me to follow—it’s much harder to tell who is responding to who.

I concur with this gentleman, and also with DCW3.  Don’t tread on us!

Signature 

I am completely right, but you are too stupid to understand what I’m saying.

Posted: 21 February 2012 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
morineko - 21 February 2012 07:48 PM

A lot of forums I used to be on kept a members-only chat/offtopic section that wasn’t publically searchable. It’s not just the “no Google”, it’s the “must be a registered user” that makes this a community.

Right!  Also important.

Status quo is aok.

Incidentally I used the same chant at my pro 1% demonstration.

Signature 

The Shadow Shadow Lounge

Posted: 21 February 2012 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]

I think the Mainalnd should move to the Forums.  The search feature on the Mainland is not as good as the search feature here.  If I want to see if something was recently discussed in the forums, I can do that.  If I want to see if something was discussed recently on the Mainland, I can’t do that.

Signature 

Designated Sitter: Occasionally brilliant, always astigamatic.

Posted: 22 February 2012 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator

@GGC, the main site is not moving to this interface. The main site search issues will be improved with a sitemap to help with Google search and the move to another script for the native search.

Posted: 22 February 2012 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]

I guess what the real question is, what’s easiest best for Jim/The site long term?

Signature 

Drink Along With Me! JugLub’s Semi-Whenever-He-Feels-Like It Beer Rating Thread

Posted: 22 February 2012 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator

JGLB, I am sensitive to the privacy concerns of the Loungers. It’s difficult for anyone to make a sensible decision without seeing possible alternatives.

The design of the forums is essentially the default EE forum template with some color changes. It’s not particularly pretty or easily changed (the underlying template is a confusing mess). After the main site redesign is finished, I will spend a little time mocking up a potential redesign or two for the Lounge.  If I can come up with something more functional that works for both computer and mobile users, people will support the move. If I can’t, the Lounge can stay where it is.

Posted: 22 February 2012 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Jim Furtado - 22 February 2012 07:31 AM

@GGC, the main site is not moving to this interface. The main site search issues will be improved with a sitemap to help with Google search and the move to another script for the native search.

Jim, I’m just being a gadfly.  I’m probably the only one who has that position and I wouldn’t expect the Mainland to be moved here.

Signature 

Designated Sitter: Occasionally brilliant, always astigamatic.

Posted: 23 February 2012 04:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]

Wow, disabling signatures and avatars made a huge difference, although there’s still a ton of whitespace.  If there were a way to get everything in that blue bar into the little box on the left side, that would be a lot cleaner (although that creates problems for really short posts).

There is a quote function on the mainland, and I wonder how difficult it would be to replace the giant quotes with a username.  For all I know, there might be a tag for that.

Posted: 23 February 2012 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
CrosbyBird - 23 February 2012 04:17 AM

Wow, disabling signatures and avatars made a huge difference, although there’s still a ton of whitespace.  If there were a way to get everything in that blue bar into the little box on the left side, that would be a lot cleaner (although that creates problems for really short posts).

There is a quote function on the mainland, and I wonder how difficult it would be to replace the giant quotes with a username.  For all I know, there might be a tag for that.

I don’t use the quote function for user quotes, only for quotes from TFA.

The trouble with the Lounge quoting system is that people get lazy, and just hit ‘quote’, resulting in enormous ziggurats of conversations that make reading more difficult, paritcularly for mobile users. Moving this system to the Main Site would be a disaster for readability, because you’d be multiplying the problem from a situation with about twenty people having a conversation at any given moment to possibly forty or more. The ‘thread velocity’ on the Main Site can be much more rapid than in the Forums, simply because more people are involved.

Signature 

The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach, is joy.

2 of 2