Members: Login | Register | Feedback

[Accepted] Social Media & Sharing Widget
Posted: 21 February 2012 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]

With a new template coming , I would like to see the integration of a “sharing widget”.  There are plenty of free and easy to integrate 3rd party products. 

Some thoughts expanding on the idea:

1) I know I get a lot of the links for my baseball news and interest pieces from BTF.  Now If I want to email my friends or post something on facebook about an interesting article,  I have to go to the source content and do it there.  I think it would be better if I could share it directly from BTF, with a link to the comments and a direct link to the source (I don’t know what is considered good/bad form with regards to this, so maybe include the source link).  In addition to sharing the source, this also would increase exposure to the discussion going on here.  Who knows, might hook a few more members.

2) The non-newsblog sections would also be great places to introduce people to BTF.  Being able to share links to game chatters, HoM discussions, Transaction Oracle’s, etc would show how the community functions and what type of original content is found here.

3) Hell, I suppose even OT threads would be ok.  I know I’m not the only one that goes back and references those threads when discussing non baseball material with friends.

4) Jim, you could add a QueryString param or another slash tag in the shared URL (I’m not sure how your CMS works) to track entries to the site from the share sources.

5) If the sharethis or addthis widget is too much, even the simple facebook widget that allows people to “like” or “Share” a URL would be good addition.

Posted: 21 February 2012 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator

I actually tested ShareIt buttons on the site for a few weeks. I’m drawing a blank why I removed them but I intend to return them in the new design. I also plan on allowing people to pull in their Twitter statuses in their public member page, if they so desire.