Members: Login | Register | Feedback

Millwood and Preventing Steals
Posted: 12 August 2006 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]

Prior to this year Kevin Millwood was among the worst pitchers in preventing steals.  In 193 attempts, baserunners had succeeded 161 times, better than 83%.

This year, there have been just 7 attempts and 4 SBs.

Now, Barajas is certainly much better than many of the catchers he had in the past, but this is a huge change.
Have the Rangers worked with him on holding runners, changed his delivery from the stretch, or otherwise intervened?

More generally, absent some change in Millwood, this would seem to suggest that SB prevention is primarily a catcher skill.  Given the frequent movement among pitchers and catchers, it would seem to be relatively simple to break down how much of SB prevention is a catcher skill versus a pitcher skill, but I have never seen a good study.  Any clues to the specific or general question?

Posted: 24 August 2006 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

GTWMA,
interesting.  Ron Johnson has investigated the"blame ratio” for Ps/Cs in the past.  I believe it is mostly Cs, but I suspect that Millwod has changed something in his approach - a better slidestep, whathaveyou.

Signature 

You’re not qualified to talk about this topic.  Sure, you can say whatever you want, but you’re not qualified.  Please stop pretending you have any idea what you’re talking about.  You’re ####### clueless on this topic.

Posted: 27 August 2006 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

Thanks, Chris.