Members: Login | Register | Feedback

Why is the BABIP for AL Central hitters so high?
Posted: 25 August 2006 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]

As of a couple of days ago, AL Central hitters had a BABIP of .317, ~10 points higher than the AL average (and ~13 points higher than the other 2 divisions).

The pitching BABIP (Defensive Eff.) and team defensive stats (according to THT) of the AL Central are normal.

What’s going on here?

Posted: 25 August 2006 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

Facing too much Royal pitching?

Actually that doesn’t work since Royals hitters are included too.

Maybe there’s just a bunch of really good hitters there - 3 of the best teams in baseball.

Signature 

Then Rich Aurilia promptly hit into a double play.

Posted: 25 August 2006 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

I thought it might just be a good-team phenomenon, but all the other hitting “peripherals” look better in the AL East, where, obviously, you’ve got the Yanks, Red Sox, and Jays, 3 of the 4 best offenses in the league (I’d throw Chicago into that group).

I thought maybe it related to interleague, but the NL Central doesn’t seem to be unusually bad in pitching or defense.

I totally don’t get it. If it’s blind luck, then it suggests that the Central offenses are overrated.

Posted: 25 August 2006 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

Park effects probably play a role as well.  Comiskey’s a notorious hitter’s park, Kauffman stadium has the fastest infield I’ve ever seen on a grass field, and the Metrodome is, well, the Metrodome.

Posted: 26 August 2006 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]

50 games of Tony Batista and Juan Castro in the field?

Posted: 26 August 2006 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]

If it were park effects, it would affect pitching BABIP (defensive efficiency) and hitting BABIP identically. But it doesnt.

If one bad team’s defense could throw things off, the NL Central, with Pittsburgh would be the flagrant example. But that doesn’t work either.

I’m not trying to be contrary, I’m just baffled…I’ve thought of everything possible! And 10-13 points is a TON over an entire division. It sticks out like a straight guy in Provincetown.

Posted: 28 August 2006 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Will Young likes his piranhtas - 26 August 2006 04:59 AM

50 games of Tony Batista and Juan Castro in the field?

I was going to say non-sinker Silva and disgruntled Lohse, but that works too.

‹‹ Reached Base on Error.      Compared to What? ››