Members: Login | Register | Feedback

300/300
Posted: 11 October 2006 01:25 AM   [ Ignore ]

I noticed for the first time today that both Reggie Sanders and Steve Finely made it into the 300/300 club last season…  I used to think that this was a fairly major accomplishement, but the milestone appears to have passed me by without creating so much as a ripple.  Was I the only one who missed out on this?  Is this not quite the milestone I thought it to be?  I also noticed that with another 20 homer season, Craig Biggio would join those other two players as the only active members of the 300/300 club, though ARod and Beltran are not far behind.

It also got me to thinking about Jeter and his chances of making it to 300/300.  It seems pretty unlikely that jeets will have hit over 300+ homers when it’s all said and done, but if he does it, what sort of milestone is it assuming he makes 3000 hits as well and becomes the only 3000/300/300 man along with Willie Mays?  That’s pretty select company.  Anyone else give Biggio a shot at this club?

Anyway - thoughts, anybody?

Posted: 11 October 2006 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

I think Barry will come a lot close to that club than Jeter. He’s a 159 hits away from 3000 which means if he plays for another 2 seasons he’ll likely get there.

Posted: 13 October 2006 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Alex_Lewis - 11 October 2006 01:25 AM

I noticed for the first time today that both Reggie Sanders and Steve Finely made it into the 300/300 club last season…  I used to think that this was a fairly major accomplishement, but the milestone appears to have passed me by without craeting so much as a ripple.

They did it almost simultaneously, Sanders with his 300th homer against Chad Harville on June 10, and Finley with his 300th homer off Claudio Vargas on June 14.

Posted: 19 October 2006 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

This was a reasonably big deal around the Giants with Finley, and it provoked a lot of stupid guff about how the guy should be a Hall of Famer. It went on for a long time because Finley was sitting on 299 for what seemed forever - what power he has is totally taken away by AT&T.

I think the reason it wasn’t a bigger deal is because 300/300 was an incredibly exclusive club, but Finley and Sanders clearly don’t belong amongst those names. If it was just one of them joining, OK, but them both joining has kind of robbed the club of any kudos.