Members: Login | Register | Feedback

1 of 2
Chicago Meetups - Yes, > 1!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 27 October 2006 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]

OK gents, we have two potential meetups that involve out of town guests.

Meetup 1: Saturday November 18

As many of you know, DC-based weekend Lounger and music savant extraordinaire Your Ace from Outer Space will be in town for a conference the weekend of November 18 (that’s the Saturday date).  As an OSU fan he plans on watching the Michigan game somewhere and would be open to that.  On the other hand, he’d be open to a Saturday night get-together as well.

Please state your availability and preference, and we can go from there.  Under certain circumstances Mini-Manny and mrs scotto may make an appearance.

Meetup 2: Sometime during Thanksgiving week

Kirby Kyle will be visiting relatives and has some free time on either Wed or Fri.  He’s mulling over what his plans are and there are some constraints so this may best be approached in a poll type fashion.

Would you be around and available Friday of Thanksgiving week?  What times?

Are there any sporting events of note that day?

Signature 

I wanted, I think, to acknowledge Luck: the chance of it, the benevolence of it in my life, and the brutality of it in the lives of others; made especially savage for children because they may not be allowed the good fortune of a lifetime to correct it. - Paul Newman, on why he created the Hole in the Wall Camp.

Posted: 27 October 2006 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

I will not be able to attend the meetup on Novermber 18th, for I am attending the TomKat wedding.

However, I will be in Milwaukee on Saturday, January 7th.

Signature 

“Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.” 

“There is soooo much booze here, and no one is drinking it. Why? IT MAKES ME SO MAD.”

Posted: 27 October 2006 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

I’m in Vermont for Thanksgiving weekend (actually Tuesday through the following Monday), but the 18th is great.

Posted: 27 October 2006 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

I can’t make either of those, but I may be around the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.  When I have more details, I’ll post them here.

Posted: 27 October 2006 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]

I’d probably prefer the 18th, though I’ll be in the area over Thanksgiving.

Posted: 28 October 2006 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]

I’ll see about coming to one or both.  Can’t make promises yet.

Signature 

It doesn’t matter if you’re white, or black, or a sasquatch even!  As long as you follow your dreams, no matter how crazy or illegal they may be.

Unless you’re a sasquatch.  If you’re a sasquatch then the rules are different.

Posted: 29 October 2006 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]

Chicago woo!!  Meetup woo!!!

OK, I promise not to do that at all while I’m there.  Looking forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks.  Thanks, scotto, for getting this together.

Posted: 30 October 2006 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

Meetup 1: I cannot attend, unfortunately. I will be in Chicago, but I am going to a wedding. Ace, I’m sorry that I’ll miss seeing you again. I hope you have a great trip here.

Meetup 2: I can make this, probably on either day. Looking forward to it.

Posted: 30 October 2006 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]

I will make an appearance at both meetups.  Either day for the 2nd one works for me.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 31 October 2006 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]

An update: Wednesday is likely out for me.  It will be my first day visiting family, and it wouldn’t be cool to skip out right away.  So how’s Thursday?  (j/k)

Friday or Saturday, early afternoon, will be my best bet.  Depending on arrangements, I may attend with my son (2) and/or stepson (18).  I’m not committed to any specific plan right now, but mini-Manny and mrs. scotto have votes.

Posted: 08 November 2006 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]

Long Overdue Update

After discussing the matter with the esteemed guest (Kirby Kyle) and the estimable mrs scotto, it would seem that having the Meetup chez the scotto family manse would be a good thing to do on Friday, November 24.  Mini-Manny and KK’s kid could caper and cavort while the grown ups hung out.  There’s got to be some sports on TV that we can watch.

What’s the reaction to this idea?

Signature 

I wanted, I think, to acknowledge Luck: the chance of it, the benevolence of it in my life, and the brutality of it in the lives of others; made especially savage for children because they may not be allowed the good fortune of a lifetime to correct it. - Paul Newman, on why he created the Hole in the Wall Camp.

Posted: 08 November 2006 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]

God bless the scotto family.

I’m in. Besides beverages, please let me know what I can bring.

There’s usually several college football games on TV that day. College basketball games may be on TV, too.

Posted: 08 November 2006 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]

im down like a clown for that, and il even behave.  where abouts are you in chitown, cause i just might drive…..and stay farily sober

Posted: 08 November 2006 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]

RSVP Process

Drop me a line via BTF or regular email so I can give the address, directions, and so we can coordinate foodstuffs and beverages, etc.  Some of you guys know the regular email and can use that, otherwise the BTF pseudonym email will be dusted off for use.

Signature 

Posted: 08 November 2006 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
The Plum - 08 November 2006 06:18 PM

im down like a clown for that, and il even behave.  where abouts are you in chitown, cause i just might drive…..and stay farily sober

You’d better behave, or mrs scotto will kick your (and anyone else’s) ass.  Then she’ll probably kick mine.  So for my sake, please do so.

Signature 

Posted: 09 November 2006 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]

id behave, no worrys there

Posted: 09 November 2006 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]

This is quite an interesting idea.  I should be able to make it, but being out of the country so much I’m always afraid that I’m forgetting #### I have to do.  I will mention this to the ladyfriend and see how she feels about it.

On the 24th, these are the college football games: Ark/LSU, Tex/Tex A&M, Ore/Ore St and these are the college basketball games (the highlight, of course, being Miami of Ohio playing Illinois). 

What’s the plan for the 18th?  Jak’s?

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 09 November 2006 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Moses Taylor?s World Tour. Location: Sweden - 09 November 2006 10:35 AM

What’s the plan for the 18th?  Jak’s?

I think Jak’s for Ace’s visit is probably the best idea.  There will likely be ample space for us, and there are plenty of TVs.  The only question is whether he wants it in the afternoon for the Mich/OSU game or the evening.  I’ll drop him a note.

Signature 

Posted: 13 November 2006 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]

just curious around what time would things be getting started on the 24th?

Posted: 13 November 2006 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
The Plum - 13 November 2006 07:58 PM

I’m waiting to hear back from Kirby Kyle, but I’m guessing sometime in the afternoon, say at around 3:00 PM or so.  In honor of you all coming I will be making a gargantuan pot of chicken curry for consumption.  Mug, be forewarned!

Signature 

Posted: 14 November 2006 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]

If it’s ok, I may aim to arrive at scotto’s earlier in the afternoon, particularly if a toddler’s in tow.  We’ll have some family stuff planned in the evening and I’ll have to return to the NW suburbs.  How would between 1-2 work out?

Thanks to scotto for setting this up.

Posted: 16 November 2006 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Kirby Kyle - 14 November 2006 04:21 PM

If it’s ok, I may aim to arrive at scotto’s earlier in the afternoon, particularly if a toddler’s in tow.  We’ll have some family stuff planned in the evening and I’ll have to return to the NW suburbs.  How would between 1-2 work out?

I should be able to get there by 3.  I might be able to make it earlier, depending on work.

Posted: 16 November 2006 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]

Hopefully you fellas won’t be meetup-ed out, since I’ll be returning for Christmas.

Posted: 17 November 2006 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Kirby Kyle - 14 November 2006 04:21 PM

1-2 is fine, KK.  I’ll inform mrs scotto and we’ll get that fatted calf slaughtered pronto.  I’ll send an email out to those who have confirmed with my address, although I do not have meatwad’s address as he has not contacted me.  If one of youse guys could forward it to him I’m be grateful.

I’ve got:
Vince (+Marquette Grad?)
retro + shiette
meatwad
Moses + 330/450/587
KK + cutie

Is that it?

Signature 

Posted: 17 November 2006 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
scotto - 13 November 2006 10:07 PM
The Plum - 13 November 2006 07:58 PM

I’m waiting to hear back from Kirby Kyle, but I’m guessing sometime in the afternoon, say at around 3:00 PM or so.  In honor of you all coming I will be making a gargantuan pot of chicken curry for consumption.  Mug, be forewarned!

Don’t worry; I’ll be down South, far from any curry, having BBQ ribs for Thanksgiving.

Signature 

The human understanding, when it has once adopted an opinion, draws all things else to support and agree with it. And though there be a greater number and weight of instances to be found on the other side, yet these it either neglects and despises, or else by some distinction sets aside and rejects; in order that by this great and pernicious predetermination the authority of its former conclusions may remain inviolate.—Francis Bacon

Posted: 17 November 2006 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Detrimental Perez (PH) - 16 November 2006 08:00 PM

Hopefully you fellas won’t be meetup-ed out, since I’ll be returning for Christmas.

I may be up there at that time as well.  We currently have reservations at a hotal from the 27th to the 30th.  I have no idea what our plans are, but if Mizzou is playing a bowl game on TV, I’m sure to be in a bar watching it somewhere.

1 of 2

‹‹ My annual fundraising      My shameless Plug ››