Members: Login | Register | Feedback

RB returns to the UK!
Posted: 19 January 2007 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]

Hello London (and wider UK) Primates. I am once again making my annual pilgrimage back to London, February 3-10. As last time, I’d love to get together and have a few drinks, maybe dinner once more. I even promise not to cut out to go meet a girl this time! The Bodeans where we met last time worked for me, but other suggestions are welcome.

Posted: 23 January 2007 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

Just in time - I was trying to organize a night out that week with a couple of soccer fans. One wrote a book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spurs-Miscellany-Ultimate-Tottenham-Trivia/dp/1905326092/sr=8-1/qid=1169559929/ref=sr_1_1/203-0218100-3611918?ie=UTF8&s=books

I’m ready and willing, so let’s see who else turns up here.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

simili ulisse JLAC domi est

Posted: 23 January 2007 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

This is quite a coincidence. I will be in London 8-14 February. My girlfriend and I are going to visit her sister and brother-in-law, but I may be able to meetup. We will be attending the West Ham-Watford game on the 10th. Phil Coorey made me into a Hammers fan ... but I don’t hold that against him.

Posted: 24 January 2007 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

It’s quite a tricky overlap to manage. It looks to me like the 9th is the only feasible date for all of us, or possibly the 8th if we omit Philistine.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 24 January 2007 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Vince Galloro - 23 January 2007 07:27 PM

This is quite a coincidence. I will be in London 8-14 February…Phil Coorey made me into a Hammers fan ... but I don’t hold that against him.

Jeeze, Phil is slowly becoming responsible for more Hammers fans than Bobby Moore.

Anyway, the 8th or 9th works for me. I’m staying in a hotel near Waterloo Station, but so long as I can get wherever we’re meeting on the Tube, that’s fine for me.

Posted: 24 January 2007 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]

I misspoke in my earlier post. We don’t arrive until the 9th, but it’ll be the 8th when we leave Chicago.

Posted: 24 January 2007 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]

Omit Philistine? Preposterous idea. I could probably do the 8th but it wouldn’t make me popular with the missus. That’s never happened before! But Vince won’t be here by then anyway.

Is the 9th OK with you Vince? That’s a Friday - getting Mazzeo out on a Friday night at short notice could be tricky, but it may be possible. Where is Mazzeo - anyone seen him lately?

Posted: 24 January 2007 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

I should be able to swing the 9th. I’ll be jetlagged, but that’s OK. What time, roughly? I need to give my girlfriend some parameters. We’ll be staying near Marlyebone station.

Edited: To correct spelling.

Posted: 24 January 2007 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]

If Vince is arriving around 6-7 AM on Friday (usual time for flights to get in from North America in my experience), we might best do an early evening meetup, which allows him to catch up on his sleep a little, and still take in a late show. Marlyebone to Waterloo suggests somewhere in the vicinity of Oxford Circus, like when Dial was here. Richard may have other plans for later Friday night, involving packing.

However, pubs are usually packed on Friday nights.

Those of us working from home that day might be able to meet late afternoon. Mazzeo’s in Whitehall, which probably has ‘travel afternoons’ on Fridays so those senior Civl Servants can all escape to their country residences.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 24 January 2007 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]

Well I can get there for 7pm, or even 6.30, and I’ll be there (if anyone else is) until what used to be closing time in the good old days of licensing laws. So if you want to spend all evening with us, or just an hour or two, feel free. I expect we’ll be eating at some stage too so we can work around however you want to play it.

Posted: 24 January 2007 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]

I’m in for the 9th. Early evening works best for me. I haven’t been to London in six years, and this is just one more reason to look forward to the trip.

Posted: 24 January 2007 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]

Marylebone. Love that, I had forgotten how many Tube stops have delightfully absurd names. Although Tooting Broadway remains my all-time favorite.

Anyway, I’ll leave it up to the natives to pick a place, but shall we tentatively say a PTBNL (that’s Pub To Be Named Later) near Oxford Circus at 6-6:30 on the 9th?

Posted: 29 January 2007 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]

Add me down for wherever. The 9th is fine and I can make it from 5pm on, probably.

Posted: 06 February 2007 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]

So, gents, have we decided on a meeting place?

Posted: 07 February 2007 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]

The UK contingent (Messrs Mazzeo, philistine and paolo) had a bit of e-mail banter about possible meeting places, but the discussion petered out with no decision.

Trouble is, we don’t know the pubs around Oxford Circus very well. What about the Pitcher and Piano in Pollen Street? Not very atmospheric. Might be very crowded on a Friday.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 07 February 2007 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]

I don’t think we should go to a Pitcher & Piano. Just looking on a website, there is The #### on Great Portland Street or The Phoenix on Cavendish Square. I think the Phoenix would get my vote, but I’ve never been there. Someone second this and we can meet from 6-6.30 on Friday. We can always move on once everyone gets there.

####: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=529044&y=181412&z=0&ar=Y

Phoenix: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=528909&y=181315&z=0&ar=Y

Posted: 07 February 2007 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]

We can’t say c0ck?

Posted: 07 February 2007 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]

I’ve changed my mind now.  I think I want to go the ####### ####.

Posted: 08 February 2007 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]

The Phoenix works for me, but anywhere we go on a Friday night will be rammed (at least until all the suits go home). There are some other OKish pubs near there.

I’ll attempt to be there for 6.

Posted: 08 February 2007 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]

Darn, I was going to suggest the All Bar One in Regent’s Street as an alternative.

OK, The Phoenix tomorrow, 18h00 onwards. I will be arriving more like 18h30 I think, but I might be there earlier.

I hope Vince Galloro is coming via Heathrow, the other airports have been closed by the snow.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 08 February 2007 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]

Snow? I saw the temperatures from earlier in the week—balmy relative to the deep freeze here in Chicago—and I was looking forward to the weather in London. I guess that was my first mistake. Yes, we are coming via Heathrow, thankfully.

RB and I have met twice, but for everyone else, check the pictures on Wiki Gonz?lez.

Looking forward to meeting/seeing everyone tomorrow.

Posted: 08 February 2007 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]

Alright, I’m alive and well and only minorly intoxicated as I write this, so we should be good. I’ll be there tomorrow, 5-5:30ish. Looking forward to it