Members: Login | Register | Feedback

Jered Weaver or Verlander?
Posted: 02 March 2007 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]

I’ve been agonizing over this for a few weeks now. I’m in a league with standard pitching categories (ERA, WHIP, K, W, Saves), and six keepers (I’m keeping Pujols, Beltran, Soriano, McCann and Cain so far). Up to this point, my major concerns are Weaver’s spring training shoulder issues, and Verlander’s last season fade (not sure if that could mean some second season arm troubles or funkiness). The projections seem to all say Weaver (he seems to have been projected with better stats using ZiPS, etc.), but almost everyone I’ve spoken with seems to think Verlander is the more dominant pitcher (and that his stat projections are way too high). What do you guys think? Weaver or Verlander? (Or, should I pass on both of them and keep Zimmerman instead?) Thanks in advance!

Posted: 03 March 2007 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

Gotta go with Verlander.  Weaver’s shoulder has been balky, plus Verlander’s got more of a major league track record, he plays in a better park for pitchers*, and he’ll probably get more run support.  Weaver’s an extreme flyball pitcher.  He’s going to be good, but not nearly as good as he appeared to be last year.

*EDIT:  Turns out I’m wrong about this.  Anaheim is a better pitchers’ park, at least last year.  Still, Detroit’s more or less neutral.

Posted: 03 March 2007 03:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

I think I keep Zimmerman, actually.  But I don’t play roto.

Posted: 03 March 2007 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

Any other options for keepers?

I’d put them Verlander, Zimm, and then Weaver myself.

Posted: 04 March 2007 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]

Other options: Kendrick, Street, Haren… I’m not sold on Street staying healthy, and Haren’s ERA predictions kind of scare me… Kendrick - sure, he might be great, but is it going to be this year and does he deserve the keeper tag ahead of the guys mentioned in the previous post. Gah, this last spot is going to shave a year off of my life - I appreciate any and all advice.