Members: Login | Register | Feedback

Strange NFL rules question
Posted: 21 March 2007 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]

What happens if a team tries a field goal out of its own end zone and (obviously) misses?  Where does the opposing team get the ball?

Posted: 21 March 2007 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

i would assume that it would get ruled a safety. a missed field goal is marked as a turnover on downs at the spot of the kick.

The Bill Belichick did something similar to this a couple years back against the Broncos where they were backed up in their own territory and took a safety they were lined up in a punt formation and they simply snapped the ball out out of bounds.

http://www.patsfans.com/bob/display_story.php?story_id=2302

Posted: 22 March 2007 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

correction, a missed field goal is spotted where the kick is placed. if the field goal attempt was on 4th down, then obviously it would be a turnover on downs. but even if it wasn’t 4th down, a missed field goal from within your end zone would still be marked a safety…

Posted: 09 April 2008 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

Since it’s damn near completely unlikely, I doubt there’s actually a rule in place to deal with it. 

The other team can return a missed FG that doesn’t go out of the endzone (as if it were a punt, and has famously happened once in each of the last 4 seasons-Ravens, Bears twice, and Chargers this past year), so I could see the refs ruling that it was a punt.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne