Members: Login | Register | Feedback

The worst game score (pitching) ever?
Posted: 05 April 2007 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]

Anybody got any idea what this would be? I have no idea where to start looking.

I’m referring to Game Score, the Bill James toy stat.

Game Score: Start with 50 points. Add 1 point for each out recorded, (3 points per inning). Add 2 points for each inning completed after the 4th. Add 1 point for each strikeout. Subtract 2 points for each hit allowed. Subtract 4 points for each earned run allowed. Subtract 2 points for each unearned run allowed. Subtract 1 point for each walk.

Signature 

“Victims? Don’t be melodramatic. Look down there. Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money…or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare? Free of income tax, old man. Free of income tax…the only way you can save money nowadays.” -Harry Lime, The Third Man

Posted: 05 April 2007 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

Worst game score ever: Al Travers: May 18, 1912.  It’s the game where the Tigers struck after Ty Cobb got suspended for beating up a cripple.

I don’t have a calculater with me, but doing the math in my head it’s about -52 or something.

Signature 

I don’t know Jaffe from a hole in the wall; he’s not a friend of mine or something .  .  .  He does really good research. .  .  .  and I learned a great deal from reading his book. —Bill James

“Way back in the 20th century, Bill James wrote the first essential book about baseball managers. Chris Jaffe has just written the second.”—Rob Neyer

Posted: 05 April 2007 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

Wow, -56 actually. Geez. Thanks. That’ll be hard to top.

Jason Marquis did have a -11 last year.

Signature 

“Victims? Don’t be melodramatic. Look down there. Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money…or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare? Free of income tax, old man. Free of income tax…the only way you can save money nowadays.” -Harry Lime, The Third Man

Posted: 05 April 2007 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

I fondly remember watching this game.  It only ended up being a +9 for Jim Clancy—I thought it was going to be worse.  But I guess when you’ve gotten nobody out after 7 batters and there’s 5 runs on the board, you get yanked before you can stink it up anymore.

0IP, 6H, 7R, 1BB, 1HR

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN198908030.shtml

Now that I look at the Box Score, Bob Forsch, in relief of Clancy, finished worse with a -17.  After the first inning, he was just throwing the ball over the plate to get the game over.  I don’t think the Reds were swinging all that hard either.

Posted: 06 April 2007 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]

B-Ref PI lists Mike Oquist’s 3 August start against the Yankees as a -21, worst for a starter since 1957.  Oquist’s line was 5   16 14 14   3   3.

Posted: 10 April 2007 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Dag Nabbit - 05 April 2007 01:08 PM

Worst game score ever: Al Travers: May 18, 1912.  It’s the game where the Tigers struck after Ty Cobb got suspended for beating up a cripple.

I don’t have a calculater with me, but doing the math in my head it’s about -52 or something.

I’m pretty sure that there was a worse one in the 19th Century.

*checks his old Abstracts*

Dave Rowe 7/24/1882.  You can check out his line at his bb-ref page because that was his only appearance on the mound that year.

Signature 

Designated Sitter: Occasionally brilliant, always astigamatic.

Posted: 12 April 2007 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]

Verne Ruhle on July 18, 1985 got down to a 13 - 0 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB.  I remember opening the paper with my rotisserie partner, reading the box score and laughing my head off.  Ruhle belonged to the guy in second, who never really recovered from that one.

Posted: 20 July 2007 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

Anyone with an idea as to what the worst number of 2007 is?  Jon Garland’s debacle against Minnesota on July 6?

Posted: 20 July 2007 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
- 10 April 2007 10:18 PM
Dag Nabbit - 05 April 2007 01:08 PM

I’m pretty sure that there was a worse one in the 19th Century.

*checks his old Abstracts*

Dave Rowe 7/24/1882.  You can check out his line at his bb-ref page because that was his only appearance on the mound that year.

One of Bill James’s best/nastiest jabs ever was when he said of Rowe’s game “no one is likely to top that in the near future, unless someone brings Randy Lerch out of retirement or something.”

Signature 

Brett Lawrie ‏ @blawrie13
Wow do it @2Morrow23 that was some sickkkk stuff tonight maaa dudeeee , great game all around by the boyssss , @jparencibia9 swing it budd!!