Members: Login | Register | Feedback

Chicago Meetup, Sunday, May 27th
Posted: 05 May 2007 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]

I will be in Chicago that evening, and available after dinner, dinner generally ending by 7 or 8 PM for me and my kin nowadays.  After that, I’m free.

I’m not sure where I’ll be staying, but it will probably be someplace close to the el, so meeting up someplace close to an el stop would be good.

On Memorial Day I hope to make the Cubs game, if I can get a ticket.  So, if anyone has a spare…

Assuming I go to the game on Memorial Day, I could potentially meet up beforehand, but will have to scramble out of town after the game.  At least that’s what the plan looks like right now.

Signature 

...right downtown, and PRINT IT!

Posted: 07 May 2007 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

Crap, sorry I’ll miss you.  I’ll be in the Netherlands that weekend.  Hopefully I’ll catch you in July.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 08 May 2007 02:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

Too bad you won’t be in town, Moses.  Have a stroopwaffel for me.

So Al Yellon has more or less promised me a ticket for the Memorial Day game, so I’m set to go.  So, I’m up for a meetup on Sunday night and also before the game on Monday.

Signature 

Posted: 09 May 2007 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

AR, I will be in town that weekend. TMG’s sister is visiting from London, however, and my availability is somewhat hostage to whatever the plans are related to that visit. There’s a decent chance that I could meetup at one or the other of the times you’ll be available. I hope I can make it.

Edited: To fix spelling error.

Posted: 11 May 2007 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Vince Galloro - 09 May 2007 02:59 PM

AR, I will be in town that weekend. TMG’s sister is visiting from London, however, and my availability is somewhat hostage to whatever the plans are related to that visit. There’s a decent chance that I could meetup at one or the other of the times you’ll be available. I hope I can make it.

Edited: To fix spelling error.

Great!  We should identify a venue for the 27th, at, say, 8 PM.  I am open to anything, as long as there is booze involved.

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2007 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]

I’m game, a friend of mine with great drinking skills will be available as well.  The only question I have is about the DRays/Pale Hose game.  Does this mean we should schedule for Sunday instead of Saturday’s game?

Also JV and BTS are considering coming down.

Signature 

I wanted, I think, to acknowledge Luck: the chance of it, the benevolence of it in my life, and the brutality of it in the lives of others; made especially savage for children because they may not be allowed the good fortune of a lifetime to correct it. - Paul Newman, on why he created the Hole in the Wall Camp.

Posted: 14 May 2007 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]

I won’t be able to make it Sunday night. TMG’s parents are planning a day at Arlington Park and a barbecue back at their house, and we will stay overnight. We may get back to the city in time to meet for a beer before Monday’s game, but I can’t guarantee it at this point. I may have a better sense closer to the date.

Posted: 16 May 2007 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

Sunday night at 8 is a real possibility for me. We’ll be in DuPage County at some point that weekend for my nephew’s birthday, but as long as that doesn’t conflict, I hope to make an appearance.

Signature 

She’s no DCW3, but my daughter has published her first book.
This quirky autobiography provides “instructions” for how to navigate the school year of a freshman student at Northwestern. It chronicles her experiences and thoughts through her triumphs, failures, and mundane days turned adventures by sarcasm, wit, and fantasy

Posted: 19 May 2007 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]

I might actually be able to get this. Vinay just reintroduced to the lounge (meaning, reminded me it existed), and I live in Champaign now . . . must be some kind of strange destiny thing . . . I’m heading up there tomorrow, so I’ll get a decent idea of how far it is and whether or not I can make that drive 2 weekends in a row. But it is a holiday weekend . . .

Posted: 19 May 2007 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]

Great, so the question is where to meet.  I will be staying someplace downtown (not sure where), and I’m sure convenient to the el, so anywhere reasonably close to an el stop works for me.

I call upon the locals to come up with an appropriate venue—feel free to meet up on your own before 8, by the way, but my plan is to eat with the family, get back to the hotel at 7 or 7:30, get the wife and son settled in, then head out.

Again, I am going to the game on Monday, and will probably be at Goose Island beforehand, if not afterward.

I look forward to seeing those I’ve met before, and meeting Charles and Joe!

Signature 

Posted: 21 May 2007 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]

I’ll be coming in from the suburbs so any place in the city is equally convenient/inconvenient for me. Let’s have one of the city-dwellers (Scotto, Retro, dJF?) pick a spot.

Signature 

This quirky autobiography provides “instructions” for how to navigate the school year of a freshman student at Northwestern. It chronicles her experiences and thoughts through her triumphs, failures, and mundane days turned adventures by sarcasm, wit, and fantasy

Posted: 22 May 2007 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]

We’ve done a few meetups at Jak’s Tap, near UIC.  They have a great beer selection, ample TVs, and food.  That’s one thought.  Delilah’s has been a big hit due to the beer and whiskey angle.  So that’s a thought.  Jak’s is accessible via blue line and parking is feasible, more so than Delilah’s, which is in Lincoln Park.

*Shrugs*

I’m open to other ideas.  Vince took me to a cool place off of Grand a while ago.  Cute Eastern European waitresses, mega-TVs.  I’m easy, like a Sunday morning.

Signature 

I wanted, I think, to acknowledge Luck: the chance of it, the benevolence of it in my life, and the brutality of it in the lives of others; made especially savage for children because they may not be allowed the good fortune of a lifetime to correct it. - Paul Newman, on why he created the Hole in the Wall Camp.

Posted: 23 May 2007 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]

It doesn’t look as if there are any more suggestions, Scotto. Why don’t you Al Haig it and take charge. Just give us a time and an address. As long as it’s got beer and Sunday Night Baseball, you can’t go wrong.

Signature 

Posted: 23 May 2007 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Filliam H Muffman (Charles S) - 23 May 2007 03:08 PM

It doesn’t look as if there are any more suggestions, Scotto. Why don’t you Al Haig it and take charge. Just give us a time and an address. As long as it’s got beer and Sunday Night Baseball, you can’t go wrong.

I fully support this message.

I will email both of you my cell number.

Signature 

Posted: 24 May 2007 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]

Hey guys, I hate it, but I’m not going to be able to make it after all. Which is a real bummer since I had a blast up there last weekend and I’m new to the area.

Have to fly back to WV and then drive the car back to Champaign over the long holiday weekend. Please keep me in the loop for future Chicago area meetups . . .

Posted: 24 May 2007 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]

I should be available for Sunday night festivities and may be free for other events as well.  Are folks still thinking of the Sox/Rays?  I need to get tickets.

Posted: 24 May 2007 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]

Hell, if we really need a spot, I can host you at Casa dJF—from there, we can always hit the Wrigleyville bars.

Posted: 24 May 2007 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]

I’ve sent an email out about it, but I think Jak’s is a fine location.  dJf, your offer is kind but there is the parking issue.  Just tell me where you all will be.

Signature 

Posted: 24 May 2007 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]

Sorry to hear that Joe can’t make it.  Pretty much any location sounds good to me, and Jak’s sounds good.

I won’t be able to make any game on Sunday, but I do plan on going to the Cubs game on Monday.

Signature 

Posted: 25 May 2007 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]

I have two tickets for Tuesday night’s Cubs game that I can’t use. I’ll bring them on Sunday night to see if anyone is interested.

Signature 

Posted: 27 May 2007 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]

Guys, slight change in plans. The weather has altered my daughter’s softabll tournament. Their last game might be at 4:30 PM in Steamwood. If that’s the case, I won’t make it to Jak’s until close to 8:00. Feel free to start the festivities without me.

Signature 

Posted: 29 May 2007 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]

A splendid time was had at the Sunday night meetup, which featured Filliam, scotto, scott’s hometown buddy Ed, dJF and Shredder at Jak’s.  After the more responsible folks headed home, dJF, Shredder and I continued the festivities at some other place (the name of which I can’t recall) and a couple of additional beers were consumed.

I’ll be back in Chicago on July 17th!

Signature