Members: Login | Register | Feedback

Fightin’ Cardinals Sportsmans Park - Have vintage item need provenance…
Posted: 27 May 2007 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]

Hi, thanks for taking a moment to read this post.

I have a vintage mini bat, which has been in my family since my father could remember (he was born in 1938) and it shows Fightin Cardinals. If I can submit a picture to this post I will (no success)

The main thing I am wondering is when were the Cardinals known as the “Fightin’ Cardinals”?

I have learned that the Cardinal Bird was officially moved to the bat in the Cardinal logo in 1922. I learned the Cardinals started playing at Sportsmans Park in 1920. I have also learned that the place they played at since the late 1800’s was also known as Sportsmans Park. I know the Cards were called the Perfectos for one year in 1899 - or 1900 (depending on what you read & where).

Any help would be appreciated, sincerely.

Regards,
TimmyG

Since I cannot upload a picture - I will direct your attention to another online baseball community where I posted a picture.
http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?p=884794#post884794

Posted: 28 May 2007 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

I can assure you that they were called the “Perfectos,” not “Perfecto’s.”

Posted: 28 May 2007 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

And it’s “provenance.”

Posted: 28 May 2007 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

Regarding the Perfecto name - I’ve seen it printed both ways across the Internet - with and without an apostrophe…

I appreciate your quick response when it comes to correcting someone, but if I were after an english lesson I certainly would have posted over at the “proper english forum”.

All I seek is baseball knowledge—-

—- nope, nothing new here. Thanks for wasting my time.