Members: Login | Register | Feedback

What is the Rule on THIS scenario?
Posted: 03 June 2007 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]

This is the situation: The starting pitcher is removed from the game and a POSITION player, who is already in the game, is chosen to pitch. After pitching one inning, the player is moved back to his position and another relief pitcher is brought in.

Here’s the question: Since the Player was never removed from the game, is he allowed to pitch again in the same game? For example, if the coach wanted to bring him in again to pitch to a specific hitter or perhaps to close out the game?

I know this sounds like a weird scenario, but I have witnessed it in a high school game and the umpires couldn’t get a definitive interpretation on which they all agreed upon from the rulebook as it is written.

Anyway, I am just curious as to what the ruling should be?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

P.S. I can’t imagine this EVER happening in the major leagues, although certain players, such as Wade Boggs (normally a third baseman), have been brought in to pitch after starting the game as a position player. So the question is, after they are removed from the mound and moved back to their original position, can they be used to pitch again in the same game?

Posted: 03 June 2007 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
TrevorDean - 03 June 2007 03:28 PM

Here’s the question: Since the Player was never removed from the game, is he allowed to pitch again in the same game?

Sure.

It happened in this game.  Reds-Mets, July 22, 1986.  Jesse Orosco and Roger McDowell alternated between pitcher, right field, and left field, depending on whether the Reds hitter was right-handed or left-handed.

Here’s an article about the game.

Posted: 09 June 2007 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

Whitey Herzog also did it with Joe Magrane and someone else.

Signature 

All comments by Jeff K. are opinions and are not presented as fact.  Jeff K.‘s statements should not be considered the opinions of Jeff K. management.