Members: Login | Register | Feedback

1 of 2
Chicago Meetup 15 Jun 2007 - 17 Jun 2007 - with Dial
Posted: 05 June 2007 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]

That’s right - I am coming to Chicago for the weekend.  I am staying at the Ambassador Hotel (or something like that).  I get in around 4 PM on Friday and will be going to Saturday’s Cub-Padre game with a bunch of LA friends (and my younger brother).

So we need a good Meetup place suggestion and time for Friday evening and/or Saturday evening.  My younger brother is a louder, dumber (in case he reads this), more obnoxious version of me.  BKE will also be there.  How can you pass that up?

Signature 

You’re not qualified to talk about this topic.  Sure, you can say whatever you want, but you’re not qualified.  Please stop pretending you have any idea what you’re talking about.  You’re ####### clueless on this topic.

Posted: 06 June 2007 02:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

No responses? Jeez, tough crowd.  Don’t know if I can make it.  Friday’s the only day I could be available though.

Signature 

I don’t know Jaffe from a hole in the wall; he’s not a friend of mine or something .  .  .  He does really good research. .  .  .  and I learned a great deal from reading his book. —Bill James

“Way back in the 20th century, Bill James wrote the first essential book about baseball managers. Chris Jaffe has just written the second.”—Rob Neyer

Posted: 06 June 2007 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

I missed this yesterday. I’m definitely free Saturday.

Fellow Chicagoans, suggestions on post-game meetup venues?

Posted: 06 June 2007 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

*Checks calendar*

I ought to be available Saturday night as well.  Re: meetup location, what about here: http://thevillagetap.com/

Signature 

I wanted, I think, to acknowledge Luck: the chance of it, the benevolence of it in my life, and the brutality of it in the lives of others; made especially savage for children because they may not be allowed the good fortune of a lifetime to correct it. - Paul Newman, on why he created the Hole in the Wall Camp.

Posted: 06 June 2007 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]

I’ll be around Friday and Saturday, but will be in Indianapolis on Sunday for the USGP.  Friday would be much better for me than Saturday, though.

Is it possible to have a louder, more obnoxious version of you?!?

Posted: 06 June 2007 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
squatto - 06 June 2007 02:47 PM

*Checks calendar*

I ought to be available Saturday night as well.  Re: meetup location, what about here: http://thevillagetap.com/

That works for me.  Amplifying on my schedule, I could do Saturday, but would have to leave early (I’ll be getting up around 5am for a drive to Indy Sunday morning.)

Posted: 06 June 2007 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]

Sorry I will have to miss the fun. My wife will be at the UM Women’s Football Academy (a cancer charity fundraiser) in Ann Arbor that weekend which means I am solo parenting. Have fun and share the stories in the lounge.

Signature 

Laying down The Law for the swinish multitude.

Posted: 06 June 2007 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

Saturday works for me.

Posted: 06 June 2007 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]

I’ll miss you by a month, Chris.  After this one happens, I will post about a July 17th meetup.

Signature 

...right downtown, and PRINT IT!

Posted: 06 June 2007 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]

Re: meetup location, what about here: http://thevillagetap.com/

Nice. Jak’s North, we might call it.

CTD, that’s a fairly short cab ride from Wrigley. It’s about <strike>five to seven minutes</strike> <strike>$8-9</strike> a mile and a quarter.

Posted: 06 June 2007 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Vince Galloro - 06 June 2007 05:40 PM

Re: meetup location, what about here: http://thevillagetap.com/

Nice. Jak’s North, we might call it.

CTD, that’s a fairly short cab ride from Wrigley. It’s about <strike>five to seven minutes</strike> <strike>$8-9</strike> a mile and a quarter.

$8-9? I likey.

Signature 

You’re not qualified to talk about this topic.  Sure, you can say whatever you want, but you’re not qualified.  Please stop pretending you have any idea what you’re talking about.  You’re ####### clueless on this topic.

Posted: 07 June 2007 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]

I may have lowballed that estimate a bit. With three of you in the cab, it’ll be more than $4 just for the flag pull, I think. Add about $5 to my original estimate, which is still very reasonable for three people.

Posted: 09 June 2007 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Vince Galloro - 07 June 2007 02:21 PM

I may have lowballed that estimate a bit. With three of you in the cab, it’ll be more than $4 just for the flag pull, I think. Add about $5 to my original estimate, which is still very reasonable for three people.

Or you could walk to addison and take the bus for $2.00 a piece.

Posted: 11 June 2007 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Buddha - 09 June 2007 06:12 PM
Vince Galloro - 07 June 2007 02:21 PM

Or you could walk to addison and take the bus for $2.00 a piece.

A mile and a half - 15 blocks?  We can just walk that.  The game will be over around 4, correct?  What time?

Signature 

Posted: 11 June 2007 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]

The games starts at 12:05, so it should be over 3ish.  It’s 8 city blocks to a mile, and it’s closer to 13 blocks from Wrigley to that place (so yeah, your mile and a half estimate is pretty close).  Not a bad walk at all.  I used to live 2 blocks from the Village Tap (it’s a great place), and walked to Wrigley all the time. 

I am not sure if I’ll be able to attend this or not.  I do have tickets to the game that day, but I don’t know if I’m even going to be able to go.  I might have found an apartment by then (but am still not living in the city), and depending on who’s at the game with me will determine if I can convince them to swing by.  I feel like I have to at least stop in, even if I can’t stay. 

BTW, how crowded are those buses after the game?  It might actually be faster to walk, the way traffic moves down Addison.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 12 June 2007 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]

Oh, it’s an early start? I did not know that. I thought it was a 2:55 p.m. start for FOX. I am playing golf in the suburbs (tee time 8:38 a.m.), so I probably won’t be there right after the game. (It will take about 30 minutes to get there, but an hour on the way home….) Probably the earliest that I can make it is 4:30 p.m.

Posted: 14 June 2007 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Vince Galloro - 12 June 2007 05:09 PM

Oh, it’s an early start? I did not know that. I thought it was a 2:55 p.m. start for FOX. I am playing golf in the suburbs (tee time 8:38 a.m.), so I probably won’t be there right after the game. (It will take about 30 minutes to get there, but an hour on the way home….) Probably the earliest that I can make it is 4:30 p.m.

Okay - it’s thursday - let’s set a Saturday time.

What’s the best time for everyone?  We are also playing bar golf on Division/Rush on Friday night.  Do all those places have cover charges and crap like that?  I have a list…

Our seats at the game:
Cubbie Tickets Section 223, Rows 16 / 20 / 22                      

We *MAY* have an extra.  Who has dibs?  I plan to email you my cell number.  Reciprocate?

We are staying here: THE AMBASSADOR EAST HOTEL                    
We plan to do some drinking here:
Crawling Distance Bars From Ambassador (on Division or State):  Bar Chicago, PJ Clarke’s, Bella’s Lounge, The Leg Room, Shenanigans’ House Of Beer        
Friday Tips:  Bucktown/Wicker Park, Division street between Ashland and Western, Damen and North and Milwaukee is like a wheel spoke of bars                    
Friday we have something of an itinerary:

THE FRONT NINE (7PM SHOTGUN START)    
Pump Room    1301 N. State St.
Zebra Lounge    1220 N. State St.
Bella's Lounge    1212 N. State St.
McFadden's Saloon    1206 N. State St.
PJ Clarkes    1204 N. State St.
Mother's Too    14 W Division St
Shenanigan's House Of Beer    16 W Division St
Butch McGuires    20 W Division St
The Original Mother's    26 W Division St

THE BACK NINE (AFTER MIDNIGHT)    
The Lodge    21 W Division St
Finn McCools    15 W Division St
Bar Chicago    9 W Division St
The Leg Room    7 W Division St
Melvin B's    1114 N. State St.
Cactus    1112 N. State St.
Hunt Club    1100 N State St
Dublin's Bar & Grill    1030 N. State St.
Elm Street Liquors    12 W. Elm St.

EXTRA CREDIT    
BOOTLEGGER'S     13 W Division St
Pippin's Tavern    806 N. Rush St
Tavern On Rush    1031 N. Rush St.
Carmine's    
Hugo's Frog Bar    1024 N Rush St
JILLY'S PIANO BAR    1007 North Rush
PS CHICAGO    
Plan B    1635 N Milwaukee Ave
Mother Hubbard    5 W Hubbard St
Ditka's    100 E Chestnut St
Billy Goat Tavern    430 N. Michigan Ave

Any specific warnings from those places?

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2007 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]

I think EXTRA CREDIT should be called AT THE RANGE WITH VJ. And a shotgun start? You’re going to split up and each start at a different bar? Maybe a shotgun start means something different in North Carolina.

Pippin’s gives you peanuts and lets you toss the shells on the floor. I approve. There is another dive bar around the corner, on Chicago Avenue, called Streeter’s Tavern. It’s a 4 a.m. place. I also approve. (I used to work near there.)

Jilly’s can be a pain to get into: crowded, probably a cover (for guys, anyway). A lot of those places on Rush can be a pain to get into, in fact. You probably know this, but don’t try to wear shorts or gym shoes into those places. I’m uncertain whether leather sandals are OK. They probably are. I don’t go to those bars very often.

Oh, and remember that the Billy Goat is on Lower Michigan. You should see a stairwell with a sign telling you that.

Posted: 14 June 2007 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
 Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2007 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]

So has a Village Tap time been set yet?

Signature 

I wanted, I think, to acknowledge Luck: the chance of it, the benevolence of it in my life, and the brutality of it in the lives of others; made especially savage for children because they may not be allowed the good fortune of a lifetime to correct it. - Paul Newman, on why he created the Hole in the Wall Camp.

Posted: 14 June 2007 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]

No, what time is good for you guys?  I mean what’s the earliest and latest for everyone?

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2007 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]

Most of those places suck, Dial.  I don’t know them all off hand, but Bar Chicago and Finn McCool’s are awful.  Crowded, young, cover, dress code.  Leg Room is probably similar on the weekends.  But that’s Rush St for you.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 14 June 2007 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]

As I mentioned above, the earliest that I can make it to Village Tap is likely to be 4:30 p.m.

Posted: 14 June 2007 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Moses Taylor World Tour Location: France somewhere - 14 June 2007 02:58 PM

Most of those places suck, Dial.  I don’t know them all off hand, but Bar Chicago and Finn McCool’s are awful.  Crowded, young, cover, dress code.  Leg Room is probably similar on the weekends.  But that’s Rush St for you.

Can you elaborate on which ones should be substituted out?  I’m not paying a cover charge over $2.  #### that noise - I’m not there to get laid.

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2007 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]

The Drunken Sailor Drinking Rules:

1.  Any drinking on the Driving Range (ie, on the airplane, or before Friday 7pm Chicago), does NOT count on the scorecard.
2.  Any standard adult beverage (beer, wine, mixed drink) consumed at a bar will result in an even par (E on scorecard).
3.  Double-shot drinks will count as a birdie (-1), as will a second adult beverage consumed at any golf hole.
4.  Any third adult beverage will count as an eagle (-2), when consumed at an individual golf hole.
5.  Boilermakers and Irish Car Bombs will count as an eagle (-2) [likewise other drinks involving a beer and a shot].
6.  Consuming a non-alcoholic drink only, or not drinking at all, will result in a warning for pace-of-play, and you receive a bogey (+1).  However, you may use a one mulligan per 9 holes to rescind the warning, consume a booze, and save par.
7.  An eagle (-2) is the maximum score than can be scored for straight drinking at any golf hole (see below exceptions).
8.  Deduct one stroke (-1) from your scorecard for buying a round of drinks for our group (minimum 5 players). 
9.  Deduct two strokes (-2) from your scorecard for buying a round of drinks for our group (minimum 10 players).
10.  Deduct one stroke (-1) for getting a stranger / bartender to buy a round of drinks for our group (minimum 5 players).
11.  Deduct two strokes (-2) for getting a stranger / bartender to buy a round of drinks for our group (minimum 10 players).
12.  You will receive a double eagle (-3) for consuming a cheez-boogie + a booze at the Billy Goat Tavern (degree of difficulty involved in going out of the way).  Must present receipt / photo for proof.
13.  Barfing will count as a double bogey (+2 on scorecard), but can be turned into a birdie if followed up by consuming a booze within 5 minutes.
14.  Passing out drunk and getting corn-holed by a stranger is a triple bogey (+3).
15.  Losing your cel phone and/or wallet will count as a double bogey (+2).
16.  Getting lost and crying or barfing in a taxi cab will disqualify you (DQ).
17.  You must finish 18 holes (or more), or have finished more holes than any other player, to qualify for the Drinking Championship.
18.  If you catch a foul ball at Wrigley Field, you drink for free the rest of the weekend (everyone has to rotate buying your drinks).

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2007 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]

TAKE THAT, curly quotes!

Signature 

1 of 2