Members: Login | Register | Feedback

Devin’s July 2007 Midwest Tour
Posted: 29 June 2007 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]

OK, so this is a combination Meetup/travel advice thread.

My itinerary is as follows:
Sat., 7/14 - NJ to Cleveland
Sun., 7.15 - Indians Game, stay in Cleveland or go on to around Toledo
Mon. 7/16 - Cleveland/Toledo to Chicago
Tues 7/17-Thurs 7/19 - in Chicago
Fri. 7/20 - Chicago to NJ (or stopping somewhere en route for the night)

As far as the Meetup goes, I believe Andere had said that the 17th was the night that worked for him.  I don’t have any specific plans outside of a day game at Wrigley on Wednesday or Thursday, so whatever works for other people is good for me.

The other thing I’m asking for is any suggestions for things to do or see in Chicago.  (Although I don’t drink, so you can save the bar recommendations.)

Also, like I said above, I haven’t decided if I’ll stay in Cleveland that Sunday night after the Indians game in the afternoon, or if I’ll get some of the travelling out of the way and get a couple of hours closer to Chicago.  Anyone know if there’s much to do in Cleveland on a Sunday night?  If I’m going to wind up vegging in my hotel room, I might as well do it in Toledo.

Signature 

The rhetorical oracle sings.

Posted: 29 June 2007 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

I think the Chicago River architecture tour is great.

Posted: 03 July 2007 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

Millennium Park is a nice, quick thing to see.

It’s a little out of the way from where you’re staying, but if you like molé sauces, I highly recommend Sol de México on Cicero just south of Belmont. You would need a car or taxi to get there. If you’re looking for Chicago-style pizza, I would go to Gino’s East at the intersection of Diversey, Racine and Lincoln, which is just a few blocks from where you’re staying.

I also recommend checking out the Chicago Reader for events happening that week.

I will be around for a July 17 meetup.

Posted: 06 July 2007 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

Thanks for the advice.

According to Andere in IRC, he’s probably not going to be able to make a meetup after all, so we don’t have to be locked into the 17th.  If I had a choice, Tuesday or Wednesday (the 17th or 18th) would be the best options, but I could certainly do Monday or Thursday as well.

Also, my sister is swearing there’s no parking near her, there’s no lots, and all the street parking is metered or you need a permit.  She seems to think I’ll have to leave my car miles away and take the Metro.  Does anyone know where I could find info on parking in Chicago?

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2007 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]

Also, my sister is swearing there’s no parking near her, there’s no lots, and all the street parking is metered or you need a permit.  She seems to think I’ll have to leave my car miles away and take the Metro.  Does anyone know where I could find info on parking in Chicago?

She’s mostly correct about that, except: Major streets (such as Sheffield Avenue) have spots that are not metered, unless they have put them up recently and I didn’t notice. I’ll take a walk over there tonight if I get a chance. Also, your sister can visit her alderman’s office (probably Tom Tunney, 44th Ward; his office is on Belmont between Sheffield and Racine) and get temporary parking stickers for the permit zone. I think it’s Zone No. 383. The signs on the block will have the number. You can put a new one on each day and be legal to park in the permit zone. I think there is a very small fee for the stickers—something like $3 for a packet of 25 passes, IIRC. She just has to show proof of residence, such as a utility bill.

The 16th or 17th work for me. I probably can’t make the 18th, and I definitely can’t make the 19th.

(So I guess you guys will be meeting on the 19th.)

Posted: 13 July 2007 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]

OK, after e-mail discussion, the plan for the meetup is: Tuesday, the 17th, at 8:00 at Goose Island Brewpub on Clybourn.  Anyone who wants to come by is welcome.

Signature