Members: Login | Register | Feedback

1 of 5
DC Meetup Aug 2007!
Posted: 13 July 2007 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]

SMK and I will be journeying to our nation’s capital this August and would like to offer a few lucky Primates the chance to meet us.

We’ll be in town from the 10th-13th (but barely on the 13th).  So Friday the 10th, Saturday the 11th, and Sunday the 12th.  Friday the 10th would work best for me so I can convince Szymborski to come and drive me down from Baltimore on the way.

Signature 

The human understanding, when it has once adopted an opinion, draws all things else to support and agree with it. And though there be a greater number and weight of instances to be found on the other side, yet these it either neglects and despises, or else by some distinction sets aside and rejects; in order that by this great and pernicious predetermination the authority of its former conclusions may remain inviolate.—Francis Bacon

Posted: 13 July 2007 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

Friday the 10th seems decent enough.  Since you are staying in Old Town.  Might I suggest some of the finer bars in the old town area?

who likes scotch?  Vermillion is the place to be.  Who likes Bluegrass?  tiffany tavern is right next door.

Signature 

“I like the words you use. Words in general”. - Juan Pablo.

Posted: 13 July 2007 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

Barring an unforeseen development, any of those days works for me.  I could live with Old Town.

Posted: 13 July 2007 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

Actually, Bilbo Baggins is a decent place for meetup, as they have a bunch of beers.

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2007 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]

I’m not really into theme restaurants.

Posted: 13 July 2007 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Chief - 13 July 2007 07:11 PM

Is it really themed?  I have never been there sober.

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2007 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
SJ - 13 July 2007 07:12 PM
Chief - 13 July 2007 07:11 PM

Is it really themed?  I have never been there sober.

I don’t think so, unless maybe it has a hippie theme.

Still, I’d like to think that I won’t be eating there because someone dressed as “Gollum” will greet us as the door saying, “Welcome to Bilbo Bagginsessssss.

Posted: 13 July 2007 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

Is there an Old Town Red Robin?

Signature 

The human understanding, when it has once adopted an opinion, draws all things else to support and agree with it. And though there be a greater number and weight of instances to be found on the other side, yet these it either neglects and despises, or else by some distinction sets aside and rejects; in order that by this great and pernicious predetermination the authority of its former conclusions may remain inviolate.—Francis Bacon

Posted: 13 July 2007 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]

No.  There’s a handful of Red Robins in Northern Virginia, but none are particularly close.

Posted: 13 July 2007 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]

I ate at a Red Robin on Sunday, by the way.  If I had done that before, I had forgotten it.

Posted: 13 July 2007 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]

I was just kidding anyway.

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2007 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]

I was surprised that you didn’t know the answer already, but I figured you were trying pad your RR count.

Posted: 13 July 2007 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]

Bilbo Baggins Beer Menu.

RIESSDORF KOELSCH ALE (GERMANY 17oz BOTTLE)    $6.95
LIGHT AMBER COLOR, FRUITINESS OF A ALE - SMOOTH FINISH OF A LAGER. ABV:6.5%

I believe that is what I got last time I was there.  There is also a lot of wine there.  It is like a 10 minute walk from Dan’s hotel (there is an hourly shuttle that drops you closer), but it is a longer walk from the metro.  There is a free shuttle that runs up and down King street from the metro on the weekends. (including Friday nights). 

Anywhere on King would be fine, really, there are 1000000 bar/restaurants around here.  Add DC, and the list gets very, very long.

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2007 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]

Do we want to reach out to any primates before we make a call?  Some folks may have a very strong preference for downtown DC on a Friday.

Posted: 13 July 2007 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Chief - 13 July 2007 07:37 PM

Do we want to reach out to any primates before we make a call?  Some folks may have a very strong preference for downtown DC on a Friday.

yeah, absolutely.  this thread has only been up for 10 minutes.  If you catch them in the lounge, point them this way.  I don’t think we have to make the call until the week of.

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2007 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]

If there’s a restaurant in Old Town where you’re more likely to hear the Doors than Bilbo Baggins, I don’t know of it.

Posted: 13 July 2007 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Chief - 13 July 2007 07:48 PM

If there’s a restaurant in Old Town where you’re more likely to hear the Doors than Bilbo Baggins, I don’t know of it.

The Grille at The Morrison House?

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2007 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]

nevermind

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2007 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]

I can do the 10th, and Old Town is fine with me.

Posted: 15 July 2007 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Chief - 13 July 2007 07:37 PM

Well, who doesn’t prefer DC?  Then again, you all live in the Old Dominion, so it’s past time for me to make it down to ol’ Virginny for a meetup.  These events don’t have to occur within walking distance for me, after all…  it’s just that a long series of lucky breaks have brought the events close to home for me, and it’s high time I had to travel like you all have done.

I’m on for that night - I’ll check this as often as possible in the weeks ahead to confirm the location.  I’ll also volunteer to stock the jukebox so we don’t have to listen to the Doors, unless the majority wills that we have to.

Posted: 15 July 2007 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]

I am off from work that day. The Doctress might be well be going away that weekend (I believe a Bachelorette party is involved). I will see if this is feasible.

Signature 

Is there aught we hold in common with the greedy parasite,
Who would lash us into serfdom and would crush us with his might?
Is there anything left to us but to organize and fight?

Posted: 15 July 2007 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]

Where will Werr be on the 10th? Maybe we should use that for coordinating the meeting? For extraordinarily selfish reasons, I’d suggest Bethesda MD as an alternative to Ye Aulde Townne.

Signature 

RIP A.D.

Commitment to Excellence

Posted: 15 July 2007 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
JC in DC - 15 July 2007 05:53 PM

Where will Werr be on the 10th? Maybe we should use that for coordinating the meeting? For extraordinarily selfish reasons, I’d suggest Bethesda MD as an alternative to Ye Aulde Townne.

I will wake up in Baltimore and go to sleep in Ye Aulde Towne.

Signature 

Of all the words of tongue and pen,
The saddest are these: “Thuhuhuhuh Yankees win”

Posted: 15 July 2007 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]

I’ll probably be going to Gettysburg with Dan on either the 4th or 5th, and giving him a tour, if anyone wants to come with me on that.

Signature 

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everyone’s gonna die.  Come watch TV?

Posted: 15 July 2007 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Larry Mahnken Has A Press Pass - 15 July 2007 08:40 PM

I’ll probably be going to Gettysburg with Dan on either the 4th or 5th, and giving him a tour, if anyone wants to come with me on that.

Pay your respects at my great-great-granduncle’s grave. John Nothing is the name on the stone and it’s grouped with the Michigan troops.

Signature 

Is there aught we hold in common with the greedy parasite,
Who would lash us into serfdom and would crush us with his might?
Is there anything left to us but to organize and fight?

Posted: 16 July 2007 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
rLr’s Not Bold Just ’Cause He Rocks Gold - 15 July 2007 09:12 PM
Larry Mahnken Has A Press Pass - 15 July 2007 08:40 PM

Pay your respects at my great-great-granduncle’s grave. John Nothing is the name on the stone and it’s grouped with the Michigan troops.

What regiment was he in?

Signature 

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everyone’s gonna die.  Come watch TV?

1 of 5