Members: Login | Register | Feedback

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
2 of 5
DC Meetup Aug 2007!
Posted: 16 July 2007 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Larry Mahnken Has A Press Pass - 16 July 2007 04:57 PM
rLr’s Not Bold Just ’Cause He Rocks Gold - 15 July 2007 09:12 PM
Larry Mahnken Has A Press Pass - 15 July 2007 08:40 PM

I’ll probably be going to Gettysburg with Dan on either the 4th or 5th, and giving him a tour, if anyone wants to come with me on that.

Pay your respects at my great-great-granduncle’s grave. John Nothing is the name on the stone and it’s grouped with the Michigan troops.

What regiment was he in?

Not certain. Cavalry. I saw it myself, but that was 11 or 12 years ago.

The name is a misspelling, incidentally. He was named Jan Notting, but Dutch names were too tough for the Union Army, I guess.

Signature 

Is there aught we hold in common with the greedy parasite,
Who would lash us into serfdom and would crush us with his might?
Is there anything left to us but to organize and fight?

Posted: 17 July 2007 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
rLr’s Not Bold Just ’Cause He Rocks Gold - 16 July 2007 10:07 PM
Larry Mahnken Has A Press Pass - 16 July 2007 04:57 PM
rLr’s Not Bold Just ’Cause He Rocks Gold - 15 July 2007 09:12 PM
Larry Mahnken Has A Press Pass - 15 July 2007 08:40 PM

I’ll probably be going to Gettysburg with Dan on either the 4th or 5th, and giving him a tour, if anyone wants to come with me on that.

Pay your respects at my great-great-granduncle’s grave. John Nothing is the name on the stone and it’s grouped with the Michigan troops.

What regiment was he in?

Not certain. Cavalry. I saw it myself, but that was 11 or 12 years ago.

The name is a misspelling, incidentally. He was named Jan Notting, but Dutch names were too tough for the Union Army, I guess.

Company I, 5th Michigan Cavalry—killed on July 3rd on the Cavalry Field.  Found that with a google search—apparently some guy was researching him in 2002, you should get in contact with him and find if you can offer or get any information on him.

Signature 

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everyone’s gonna die.  Come watch TV?

Posted: 25 July 2007 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]

So did we come up with a date and place for the meetup?

Posted: 25 July 2007 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]

Bilbo Bagginsapalooza?

Posted: 26 July 2007 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]

Unsure if I can join.  The day is fine, but old town is hard for me to get to and from given where I live and where I work.

Signature 

Beware of this and that.

Posted: 26 July 2007 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]

There’s no reason there can’t be more than one meetup, although there will be constraints, to be sure.  Here’s what our schedule looks like:

Friday, 8-3: I land at Reagan at 5 pm and get a ride with nasby to Baltimore, in theory.  I’d have no problem combining that with a meetup anywhere along the way, but I don’t know about nasby.
Sat or Sun 8-4 or 8-5: I go to Gettysburg with Larry and whomever else wants to join.
Then I’m in Baltimore for a while…
Friday, 8-10: Shannon lands at Reagan and shuttles to the hotel in Alexandria.  That’s why Old Town works so well for us.  Meanwhile, I get from Baltimore to Old Town somehow (my current hope is that Szym will be going to the meetup anyway and can give me a ride.
Sat and Sun 8-11 to 8-12: We’ll be just hanging out in DC, seeing the sights.
Mon, 8-13: We fly home in the morning.

Signature 

The human understanding, when it has once adopted an opinion, draws all things else to support and agree with it. And though there be a greater number and weight of instances to be found on the other side, yet these it either neglects and despises, or else by some distinction sets aside and rejects; in order that by this great and pernicious predetermination the authority of its former conclusions may remain inviolate.—Francis Bacon

Posted: 26 July 2007 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]

If you aren’t getting a ride, let me know, I can give you several options to get here from BWI.

Signature 

“Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.” 

“There is soooo much booze here, and no one is drinking it. Why? IT MAKES ME SO MAD.”

Posted: 26 July 2007 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]

FWIW, DC is easier for me on the 10th as well, but I can live with Old Town.  They’re not really that far apart, and both are metro accessible, though Old Town can add quite a bit of walking.  The traffic in Old Town can be terrible on Friday evening as well.

Posted: 26 July 2007 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Chief - 26 July 2007 06:35 PM

FWIW, DC is easier for me on the 10th as well, but I can live with Old Town.  They’re not really that far apart, and both are metro accessible, though Old Town can add quite a bit of walking.  The traffic in Old Town can be terrible on Friday evening as well.

there is a free shuttle from the king st metro.  It runs the length of King St.

Bilbo Baggins might be a little tight for a meetup anyway.  I can metro anywhere in the city.  North Arlington might be a decent compromise. 

BTW, is this a happy hour thing, or an evening thing.  Have we set a time?

Signature 

“Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.” 

“There is soooo much booze here, and no one is drinking it. Why? IT MAKES ME SO MAD.”

Posted: 27 July 2007 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
SJ - 26 July 2007 07:47 PM

Bilbo Baggins might be a little tight for a meetup anyway.  I can metro anywhere in the city.  North Arlington might be a decent compromise. 

I’ll be downtown that evening after commuting from Baltimore to DC. To be honest I’m not crazy about Old Town as a location for reasons that should be obvious to anyone from the area. North Arlington I can do easier.

Posted: 27 July 2007 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Answer Guy - 27 July 2007 12:32 AM
SJ - 26 July 2007 07:47 PM

I’ll be downtown that evening after commuting from Baltimore to DC. To be honest I’m not crazy about Old Town as a location for reasons that should be obvious to anyone from the area. North Arlington I can do easier.

North Arlington - is that Ballston/Clarendon/Courthouse area?  Anything Arlington would be better for me anyway.  It’s on my metro ride home.

Signature 

Beware of this and that.

Posted: 27 July 2007 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]

So, essentially, we have no consensus on a place, other than not Old Town. 

I don’t think Dan and I particularly care where we meet, so long as wherever we go is reasonably accessible from our hotel.

Posted: 27 July 2007 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]

I think anytime late afternoon to evening should work for us, but it depends on when and how I get down from Baltimore.

Signature 

Of all the words of tongue and pen,
The saddest are these: “Thuhuhuhuh Yankees win”

Posted: 29 July 2007 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]

Aloha -

I saw a callout from SJ in the “Simpsons Movie” Lounge from yesterday.  Thanks John - I try to show up primarily to make sure we have a quorum from DC at these events, but I’ll be there in 2wo weeks no matter where this is happening.  Sounds like we’ll have a boss turnout for our pals from the Pac NW - just tell me where.

Posted: 29 July 2007 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]

If we’re doing North Arlington, are we thinking a place like Four Courts? I don’t know the area that well, save for a couple of places like Clarendon Grill, which probably don’t work for meetup purposes.

Posted: 29 July 2007 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
JH (in DC) - 29 July 2007 03:31 AM

If we’re doing North Arlington, are we thinking a place like Four Courts? I don’t know the area that well, save for a couple of places like Clarendon Grill, which probably don’t work for meetup purposes.

We could always do Bailey’s in Ballston again. It has every game on, though it can get a little loud in there.

Posted: 31 July 2007 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]

I know SJ suggested North Arlington, but is it really any better than (and not just no worse than) DC (downtown)?  (I live in N. Arlington, but I’d still have to get there from DC anyway.)  I guess parking is somewhat easier in Arlington for anyone who needs to drive there.

I can make the meet up any time after 5:30 or so.  If it’s much after 6:30 then I’ll probably have to kill some time somewhere anyway.

Posted: 31 July 2007 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]

yeah, but downtown DC sort of sucks, don’t ya think?

Signature 

Posted: 02 August 2007 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]

I’m sure we can find something acceptable downtown.  Anyway, I have to admit that the logistics of having a minifridge toss downtown are difficult.

Posted: 03 August 2007 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Chief - 02 August 2007 05:50 PM

I’m sure we can find something acceptable downtown.  Anyway, I have to admit that the logistics of having a minifridge toss downtown are difficult.

E&C; Fado; RFD; Cap City; ESPNZone (barf); Hardrock (barf); Gordon Biersch.

Signature 

Beware of this and that.

Posted: 03 August 2007 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]

I think ESPNZone and Hardrock can be eliminated.  Any of the rest of those are fine with me.  They’re all pretty close to the Yellow Line also, so if anyone taking the Metro from Old Town can get there without changing trains.

Posted: 03 August 2007 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Chief - 03 August 2007 03:09 PM

I think ESPNZone and Hardrock can be eliminated.  Any of the rest of those are fine with me.  They’re all pretty close to the Yellow Line also, so if anyone taking the Metro from Old Town can get there without changing trains.

Since our hotel is in Old Town, those are the magic words.  Actually, we probably won’t be coming from our hotel at that point.  I’m sure we’ll be out and about sightseeing. 

I don’t know E&C;, RFD or Cap City.  My experience with Fado in Seattle is that it gets pretty noisy (though that may not be the case with the one in DC).  Gordon Biersch might be a good place (if it’s anything like the one in Seattle) - large enough for a group of people but not too loud to talk.

Posted: 03 August 2007 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
SMK - 03 August 2007 03:22 PM
Chief - 03 August 2007 03:09 PM

Since our hotel is in Old Town, those are the magic words.  Actually, we probably won’t be coming from our hotel at that point.  I’m sure we’ll be out and about sightseeing. 

I don’t know E&C;, RFD or Cap City.  My experience with Fado in Seattle is that it gets pretty noisy (though that may not be the case with the one in DC).  Gordon Biersch might be a good place (if it’s anything like the one in Seattle) - large enough for a group of people but not too loud to talk.

Selfishly, I’d prefer Bethesda. Bethesda’s on the Red Line, which involves changing trains, but the DC Metro is so simple that shouldn’t be a problem. On the assumption Bethesda’s no good, I’d go with DC, too. It sounds like people want a sports bar or bar, though I honestly don’t get why. Is there anything in Cleveland Park, near the Uptown, if people don’t want downtown DC?

Signature 

RIP A.D.

Commitment to Excellence

Posted: 03 August 2007 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]

I think only SJ has objected to downtown DC.  I’m okay with Cleveland Park, because I may just take a cab home anyway, but as SJ noted in an earlier thread “Cleveland Park is a ####### hike on the metro from Alexandria.”

Downtown has the smallest likelihood of being decisively inconvenient for anyone, I would think.

Posted: 03 August 2007 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]

Wait, so what’s wrong with downtown now?  Other than people want to be closer to where they work/live?

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
2 of 5