Members: Login | Register | Feedback

3 of 5
DC Meetup Aug 2007!
Posted: 03 August 2007 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
SMK - 03 August 2007 04:12 PM

Wait, so what’s wrong with downtown now?  Other than people want to be closer to where they work/live?

Nothing’s wrong with downtown; I was just under the impression people didn’t think there was anything there. (Which is kinda true.) DC’s best places are in Dupont Circle, Cleveland Park, G’town, and so on. Downtown is kinda dead. I think the issue remains what KIND OF place are looking for? Sports bar? Casual restaurant? Bar bar?

Signature 

RIP A.D.

Commitment to Excellence

Posted: 03 August 2007 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
JC in DC - 03 August 2007 03:38 PM

It sounds like people want a sports bar or bar, though I honestly don’t get why.

Agreed.

It sounds like downtown will be the best option.

Signature 

The human understanding, when it has once adopted an opinion, draws all things else to support and agree with it. And though there be a greater number and weight of instances to be found on the other side, yet these it either neglects and despises, or else by some distinction sets aside and rejects; in order that by this great and pernicious predetermination the authority of its former conclusions may remain inviolate.—Francis Bacon

Posted: 03 August 2007 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Mug treats mishaps like sinking ships - 03 August 2007 04:27 PM

It sounds like people want a sports bar or bar, though I honestly don’t get why.

Agreed.

Ok, downtown. Now, what kind of place?

Signature 

RIP A.D.

Commitment to Excellence

Posted: 03 August 2007 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]

The places SSA suggested are mostly of the brewpub variety.  There are plenty of decent restaurants too, in a range of price ranges, if people would rather do that.

Posted: 03 August 2007 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
SMK - 03 August 2007 03:22 PM

Since our hotel is in Old Town, those are the magic words.  Actually, we probably won’t be coming from our hotel at that point.  I’m sure we’ll be out and about sightseeing.

Will we?  What time is the meetup?  What time will I get to DC and how?  I was thinking of getting a ride with Szym if he’s coming to the meetup, which would imply either going straight to the meetup or sightseeing with Szym (fine by me, but might not be in his day plan).  On the other hand, he might not be coming.

Signature 

The human understanding, when it has once adopted an opinion, draws all things else to support and agree with it. And though there be a greater number and weight of instances to be found on the other side, yet these it either neglects and despises, or else by some distinction sets aside and rejects; in order that by this great and pernicious predetermination the authority of its former conclusions may remain inviolate.—Francis Bacon

Posted: 03 August 2007 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
JC in DC - 03 August 2007 04:31 PM

Agreed.

Why not the White House?

I think a brewpub type setting would be ideal.

Signature 

Posted: 03 August 2007 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]

Regarding time:  I can’t make it earlier than 5:30, if it’s later than 6:30, I’m just going to show up early.

Posted: 03 August 2007 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]

Of the places SSA mentioned, I would vote for RFD or Elephant & Castle (though I’ve never been the latter, and have never eaten at the former).  Any of them would be fine; Cap City is probably not as convenient and probably not worth extra effort.

Posted: 03 August 2007 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Chief - 03 August 2007 04:50 PM

Of the places SSA mentioned, I would vote for RFD or Elephant & Castle (though I’ve never been the latter, and have never eaten at the former).  Any of them would be fine; Cap City is probably not as convenient and probably not worth extra effort.

I’ll trust you on this since I have no idea.  Is either more convenient to metro?

Signature 

Posted: 03 August 2007 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]

I’ll trust you on this since I have no idea.  Is either more convenient to metro?

I’m sure we could use some online map function to find out precisely which one is the most convenient, but the difference is only going to be a matter of a block or two.  Even Cap City, now that I think about it.  I just don’t want to go there.

Posted: 03 August 2007 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Mug treats mishaps like sinking ships - 03 August 2007 04:34 PM
JC in DC - 03 August 2007 04:31 PM

Agreed.

Why not the White House?

I think a brewpub type setting would be ideal.

http://www.capcitybrew.com/downtown.html

Why would we start at 5.30? It’s got to be 6.30 minimum.

Signature 

RIP A.D.

Commitment to Excellence

Posted: 03 August 2007 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]

Why would we start at 5.30?

Why would we start at any particular time?  I usually leave work at 5:00 or so.  It won’t take me more than half an hour to get to any of those places, even if I walk, so I could, in theory, start at 5:30 without sacrificing anything.  I don’t know what anyone else’s plans are.

If we meet later, I’ll stay at work later, but I’m not staying all night waiting for you people.

Posted: 04 August 2007 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]

I vote for Bethesda, nlt 530!

Signature 

l-0-l (-0-) l-0-l
We’ll have to destroy them ship-to-ship.

(){[][][]}<()===========

Posted: 04 August 2007 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]

5:30’s way too early. I’m not going out from 6-8. Isn’t the point to be out, you know, late? I think Bethesda’s out, even though it’s walkable for me. boo-hoo.

Signature 

RIP A.D.

Commitment to Excellence

Posted: 05 August 2007 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]

I guess we’re all too lame for JC.

Signature 

Posted: 06 August 2007 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]

Ok, I had no problem with DC, my only objection was that it is lame.  Dan and Shannon were in Old Town, that is why it was originally suggested.  But I am perfectly fine with DC. 

Gordon Biersch and Cap City are big enough with enough seating that a group of 10 or so will have no problem gathering.  I would rather have kevin’s babies than fight the hipsters in Fado for a drink on a Friday Night.  (its not bad during the day or weeknight)

RFD’s is fine if you want the worst service on the Eastern Seaboard.

Signature 

“I like the words you use. Words in general”. - Juan Pablo.

Posted: 06 August 2007 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]

Apparently there’s a Cap City in Baltimore; I ate there yesterday.  It was all right.

Signature 

Posted: 07 August 2007 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]

Although Cap City is across the street from my office, I have no problem with meeting up in northern Va.  That’s saying something considering I drove the length of the Old Dominion on my way to Tennessee and back this weekend…  People at the gas stations looked at me like I was wearing Union blues and a Madalyn Murray O’Hair mask. 

As long as I steer clear of the angry hillbillies I’ll be just fine.  Unfortunately I’ll be a game-time decision (it’s out of all of our hands) so you guys figure this out.  I’ll check back later this week to find out where this is happening, in case I get lucky.

Posted: 07 August 2007 04:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]

SJ, it sounds like Szym won’t make the meetup, so what were the alternate transportation suggestions you had?  Hopefully something easy with luggage?

Signature 

Posted: 07 August 2007 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]

If I can get out of work on Friday, I could probably give you a ride down to DC if you think you could fit your luggage in my car.

Signature 

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everyone’s gonna die.  Come watch TV?

Posted: 07 August 2007 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]

So the timing appears to be a sticking point.  Some people want to meet after work for a couple hours and then go home.  JC says he doesn’t want to meet between 6-8.  JC, is there some particular reason why?  Do you have family obligations that you need to take care of first before you meet us?

Posted: 07 August 2007 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]

I’ll show up whenever and whereever I am told to show up (except Bethesda or Damascus).

so what were the alternate transportation suggestions you had?  Hopefully something easy with luggage?

I don’t know the details, but you can take Amtrak or MARC to Union Station in DC.  (Or maybe even Amtrak to Old Town Alexandria—there is an Amtrak station there, I don’t know how often trains stop there; DC is the end of the line for a lot of Amtrak trains.)  Metro or, if the luggage is a big issue, cab (about $18.50 per an online fare calculator I found) to Alexandria from Union Station .

Posted: 07 August 2007 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]

Or you could ask Nasby to come pick you up and drive you to your hotel.  I’m sure he’d be happy to carry your bags too.

Posted: 07 August 2007 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]

OK, I got out of work on Friday (I lied and told them I had to pick up a game—so they switched me for Saturday morning)

I’ll have to work at 8am, so considering the 90 minute drive to York, I should probably leave no later than midnight.  That doesn’t sound like it’ll be a big problem.

Dan, if you need a ride, give me a call (or email… or tell me tonight).  I’ll see you all Friday!

Now I’m off to my COOL job—not the one I had to get out of for Friday.

Signature 

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everyone’s gonna die.  Come watch TV?

Posted: 07 August 2007 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Larry Mahnken Has A Press Pass - 07 August 2007 07:17 PM

OK, I got out of work on Friday (I lied and told them I had to pick up a game—so they switched me for Saturday morning)

I’ll have to work at 8am, so considering the 90 minute drive to York, I should probably leave no later than midnight.  That doesn’t sound like it’ll be a big problem.

Dan, if you need a ride, give me a call (or email… or tell me tonight).  I’ll see you all Friday!

Now I’m off to my COOL job—not the one I had to get out of for Friday.

I’m sure he would much rather have a ride than negotiate public transportation with luggage.

3 of 5