Members: Login | Register | Feedback

fra paolo in Chicago
Posted: 18 July 2007 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]

Rather late in the day, I’ve decided to spend the night of 23/24 July in Chicago en route to SABR37 in St Louis. At the moment, it looks like I might be with my family in a Wheaton motel off Roosevelt. If any primates are in the vicinity and would like to show me the sights of Wheaton, I might be able to sneak away for a quick cup of coffee (or something stronger). Lunch near the Adler Planetarium might be good for me on the 24th, but we’ll be trying to get on our way to Springfield in early afternoon.

There’s also the possibility I’ll be back in Chicago for the night of 5/6 August, on my way home to London.

Signature 

cupiditas radix omnium malorum est

simili ulisse JLAC domi est

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 18 July 2007 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

Wheaton?  That’s not exactly close to the city.  I think there are some primates out there, but they normally don’t make it to the city meetups.  Too bad, I think Daly’s in town on his way to SABR then also (but I guess you’ll see him, and some other Chicago primates like djf in St. Lou anyway).  I’m sure you’ll find people around the night of August 5th.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 18 July 2007 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
fra paolo - 18 July 2007 01:59 PM

Rather late in the day, I’ve decided to spend the night of 23/24 July in Chicago en route to SABR37 in St Louis. At the moment, it looks like I might be with my family in a Wheaton motel off Roosevelt. If any primates are in the vicinity and would like to show me the sights of Wheaton, I might be able to sneak away for a quick cup of coffee (or something stronger). Lunch near the Adler Planetarium might be good for me on the 24th, but we’ll be trying to get on our way to Springfield in early afternoon.

There’s also the possibility I’ll be back in Chicago for the night of 5/6 August, on my way home to London.

The problem is that Wheaton is about 50 miles west of the city, and a tour of the sights of Wheaton would take about 10 minutes and be less than thrilling.  Red Faber lives close to (if not in)—you might want to touch base with him.  Perhaps we can find a way to do lunch that afternoon; GGC and I will be driving down as well.

Posted: 19 July 2007 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

In fact it’s not Wheaton, but Glen Ellyn, and we failed to get around to making the booking. I’m not exactly sure when we’ll get out of the airport on Monday, so making lunch plans might be reckless. In the circumstances, it might make more sense to arrange something for the evening of August 5th.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 19 July 2007 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
fra paolo - 19 July 2007 07:50 AM

In fact it’s not Wheaton, but Glen Ellyn, and we failed to get around to making the booking. I’m not exactly sure when we’ll get out of the airport on Monday, so making lunch plans might be reckless. In the circumstances, it might make more sense to arrange something for the evening of August 5th.

Glen Ellyn is the next town east of Wheaton - perhaps 45 miles west of the city.  The evening of August 5 is probably better for the rest of the Chicago clan, but alas, I have Cubs tickets that night.

Posted: 19 July 2007 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]

You must be confusing miles with minutes, djf.  I wasn’t sure of the exact mileage either, but google maps gives me 27.9mi from the center of one to the other.

But since I knew that it wasn’t 40 miles from Lombard in, I knew you had to be crazy.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 21 July 2007 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]

I’m not in Wheaton after all. We found a cheap motel in Lyons on Ogden Avenue. If that makes any difference. I haven’t resolved what might happen on August 5th yet. It might depend on how much we get to see on July 23-24, and whether I opt for staying the extra day with my Mom. Hopefully I’ll have sorted it out by the time I meet with the ever-changing dJF in St Louis.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 21 July 2007 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

Looks like there’s plenty of stronger stuff than coffee on Ogden Avenue. I’m undoubtedly due a colourful experience, even without Primates.

Signature 

Libera JLACem nunc!

Posted: 23 July 2007 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]

Wheaton? Glen Ellyn?  Lyons?  Whoa, sounds like good times!

Of course, I should talk.  I stayed in Bensenville last week and spent a considerable amount of time on the far west side.

Signature 

...right downtown, and PRINT IT!

Posted: 23 July 2007 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]

fra paolo, I was away for a few days and am just seeing this now. I hope you will be able to stay in Chicago on Aug. 5. Even if you are in the suburbs, there’s a chance that I could meet you, if you’re close to a Metra station.