Members: Login | Register | Feedback

1 of 3
9/1/07!
Posted: 07 August 2007 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]

TMG and I will be in St. Louis sometime in the afternoon on the 31st. We’re staying both nights in St. Louis.

Any dinner recommendations for Friday night?

Posted: 07 August 2007 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Vince Galloro - 07 August 2007 07:01 PM

TMG and I will be in St. Louis sometime in the afternoon on the 31st. We’re staying both nights in St. Louis.

Any dinner recommendations for Friday night?

Where are you staying, and what do you like?  My favorite places in town are here, and here.  They’re pretty much on opposite ends of the dining spectrum.

Signature 

“Live careful, & eat 3 times a day. Eat common plain food. Soul food like beans, turnip greens, & corn bread. Drink the best of Bourbon Whiskey. People condemn whiskey. But they have no right to. Because when God created the Heaven & Earth, he created all things. He also created barley, rye, and he didn’t think that was good for man, he wouldn’t have let those things grow.”
—Uncle Seymour Washington, Heartworn Highways

Posted: 07 August 2007 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

Where are you staying

We’re still figuring that out. We probably should have made those reservations by now. I should have this settled by tomorrow.

Iron Barley looks right for us.

Posted: 07 August 2007 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]

There’s no reservations at Iron Barley, and the other must thing to do is to go up to the bartender lady who looks like she is from a movie (big lady, big hair, lots of makeup), and ask if she has any drinks she’s made.  She’ll pull them out of a tupperware container.  First time we were there we had a pumpkin brandy alexander. 

There’s a chance we’ll be eating there that night too.  It’s awesome.

Signature 

“Live careful, & eat 3 times a day. Eat common plain food. Soul food like beans, turnip greens, & corn bread. Drink the best of Bourbon Whiskey. People condemn whiskey. But they have no right to. Because when God created the Heaven & Earth, he created all things. He also created barley, rye, and he didn’t think that was good for man, he wouldn’t have let those things grow.”

Posted: 08 August 2007 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]

Sheriff, tell me again where your preferred tailgating spot is.  I’ll steer my group toward the same place.

We’re hoping to be able to abandon our kids by 10 a.m. on Saturday.  We’ll be in Friday night, but I’m sure familial obligations will take precedence and we won’t be able to go out with the cool kids.

I’ve never heard of Iron Barley.  Looks great.  I always advise out-of-towners to head to the Hill, but it’s been ten years or so since I’ve been there.  Is that still a viable location?

Posted: 08 August 2007 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]

It looks like we will be staying in Clayton, which is fine with me. It’s the Crowne Plaza near the county government center and the Metrolink. I stayed at either that hotel or the Sheraton once (on the same trip, in 2002, I made my first-ever visits to Columbia and Busch Stadium). This could change if priceline comes through, but that’s unlikely.

Posted: 08 August 2007 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]

We’ve always been in the lot near the dome and the Drury.  I think it may end up being a preferred lot, I don’t know how we always get a spot there (well, we never have parked there, but friends have).  I’m going to get in touch with my friends about whether they’re coming and if they plan to get there early. 

Clayton is good, you can ride the link downtown really easily.  We may do the same, actually, there’s a stop about a mile from us with free parking.  There are a lot of good bars and places to go there. 

I don’t usually recommend the Hill (too touristy—although there are some good places there), and never would to Vince.  I don’t want him to feel ashamed of his heritage after watching his team get whomped.

Signature 

Posted: 09 August 2007 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

TMG and I will probably be starting our day with some English Premier League action at The Dubliner near the dome.  West Ham visits Reading that morning. Come on, you Irons!

Some Italian food after the 9/1/07! game would balance out the Irish morning, although really, for a victory meal, I far prefer grilled meats.

Mmmmmm, grilled meats.

Then again, Italian food is too filling to sustain a good buzz.

Posted: 09 August 2007 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Vince Galloro - 09 August 2007 02:40 PM

TMG and I will probably be starting our day with some English Premier League action at The Dubliner near the dome.  West Ham visits Reading that morning. Come on, you Irons!

Some Italian food after the 9/1/07! game would balance out the Irish morning, although really, for a victory meal, I far prefer grilled meats.

Mmmmmm, grilled meats.

Then again, Italian food is too filling to sustain a good buzz.

I love The Dubliner.  I’ve eaten there twice.  They have good pork. 

So, what food cheers you up the most?  You should be considering that.

Signature 

Posted: 09 August 2007 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]

I love the other white meat.

Beer. No consideration needed.

Posted: 09 August 2007 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Vince Galloro - 09 August 2007 04:00 PM

I love the other white meat.

Beer. No consideration needed.

The Dubliner’s beer selection isn’t great, but it’ll do.

Signature 

Posted: 10 August 2007 01:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]

My tickets arrived today.  Section 106, row QQ. 

There’s a fan guide that shows parking lots.  I think we’ll be somewhere around Washington Ave and sixth or so, if we’re not in the lot at 7th and Lucas.

Signature 

Posted: 10 August 2007 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]

I’m not that picky.

When should we try to meet? I won’t be responsible for handling the tailgating, so I am free to roam pre-game. Even easier for me would be to meet after the game, as my friends are driving back to their little town outside Alton.

Posted: 10 August 2007 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Vince Galloro - 10 August 2007 02:28 PM

I’m not that picky.

When should we try to meet? I won’t be responsible for handling the tailgating, so I am free to roam pre-game. Even easier for me would be to meet after the game, as my friends are driving back to their little town outside Alton.

Good question.  I have friends coming to town to stay with us (from your neighborhood, Vince) Friday night, I do not know what their Saturday night plans are.  I’d say either we meet at a bar pre-game or post-game.  The Dubliner is a good choice, close and large.

Signature 

Posted: 10 August 2007 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]

I think I’d prefer post-game. Otherwise, I’ll just be making a cameo appearance at my friend’s tailgate. The Dubliner works for me.

Posted: 10 August 2007 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Vince Galloro - 10 August 2007 08:35 PM

I think I’d prefer post-game. Otherwise, I’ll just be making a cameo appearance at my friend’s tailgate. The Dubliner works for me.

Why don’t we plan on that (unless someone else objects) and then we can communicate in the morning and maybe pull a pop-in at someone’s tailgate.  I’ve met all three of you, and DTS really does look like a woman, so no one should be hard to spot.

Signature 

Posted: 10 August 2007 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]

I’ll see what I can do about post-game.  I should be good and drunk by then.  I’ll figure it out -the babysitting is the issue, of course.

If we all ended up tailgating nearby, we could do a little meeting before the game.  I’ll also give you guys my cell number.  Any chance you guys text message?  That’s a nifty way to coordinate such things.

Posted: 10 August 2007 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Hooray for Ankiel!(Sheriff Blalock) - 10 August 2007 08:59 PM

Why don’t we plan on that (unless someone else objects) and then we can communicate in the morning and maybe pull a pop-in at someone’s tailgate.  I’ve met all three of you, and DTS really does look like a woman, so no one should be hard to spot.

When you say all three of you, are you referring to Moses?  What’s his story?

Posted: 10 August 2007 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]

We can definitely trade cell numbers. I often use text messaging. I love getting random texts from Jack Vincennes.

I don’t know about Moses. I don’t think he’s going to make it down for the game, unfortunately. I’ll email the link for this thread to him.

Posted: 10 August 2007 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]

I’m down with texting.  DTS, would you mind sending me an e-mail from an address you check? I’ll email all of you my phone number then.

Signature 

Posted: 10 August 2007 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]

I’m down with texting.

Are you totally down? Wanna go rock climbing?

Posted: 11 August 2007 03:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Vince Galloro - 10 August 2007 09:54 PM

I’m down with texting.

I can make some sandwiches!

Signature 

Posted: 13 August 2007 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Hooray for Ankiel!(Sheriff Blalock) - 11 August 2007 03:46 AM
Vince Galloro - 10 August 2007 09:54 PM

I’m down with texting.

I can make some sandwiches!

Speaking of Jason Alexander, I had the misfortune of seeing him in a country music video this morning.  Marcia Brady, Estelle Costanza, and William Shatner were also in it.  I couldn’t hear it and have no idea who the singer was, but I was sad to see Jason sink to such lows.

Sheriff - I’ll email you my info tonight.

Posted: 13 August 2007 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]

Yep, I officially am not going.  Which sucks, I really wanted to.  Like I told Vince, I’ll at least be in the state of Missouri on 9/1/07!.  It’s an annual thing, so I’ll definitely make one of these years.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 13 August 2007 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Moses Taylor - 13 August 2007 03:31 PM

Yep, I officially am not going.  Which sucks, I really wanted to.  Like I told Vince, I’ll at least be in the state of Missouri on 9/1/07!.  It’s an annual thing, so I’ll definitely make one of these years.

That really sucks.  Where’s the reunion (is that right)?

Signature 

Posted: 13 August 2007 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]

Opening line MU v. ILL:  MU – 5.5

1 of 3