Members: Login | Register | Feedback

2 of 3
9/1/07!
Posted: 14 August 2007 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]

Vince,

Have you locked down your hotel yet?  If you’re staying in Clayton, there’s a cool area I wanted to point out as well.  It’s the first block of N Central Ave, about two blocks from the Sheraton.  There are several very good places to eat there, if you want something requiring less effort.

Signature 

“Live careful, & eat 3 times a day. Eat common plain food. Soul food like beans, turnip greens, & corn bread. Drink the best of Bourbon Whiskey. People condemn whiskey. But they have no right to. Because when God created the Heaven & Earth, he created all things. He also created barley, rye, and he didn’t think that was good for man, he wouldn’t have let those things grow.”
—Uncle Seymour Washington, Heartworn Highways

Posted: 14 August 2007 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Hooray for Ankiel!(Sheriff Blalock) - 13 August 2007 04:30 PM
Moses Taylor - 13 August 2007 03:31 PM

Yep, I officially am not going.  Which sucks, I really wanted to.  Like I told Vince, I’ll at least be in the state of Missouri on 9/1/07!.  It’s an annual thing, so I’ll definitely make one of these years.

That really sucks.  Where’s the reunion (is that right)?

Sikeston, I think.  Well, that’s where the family is down there.  Lambert’s, here I come!

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 15 August 2007 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]

Well, at least you’re getting something out of it, Moses.  Too bad you won’t be around.

Signature 

“Live careful, & eat 3 times a day. Eat common plain food. Soul food like beans, turnip greens, & corn bread. Drink the best of Bourbon Whiskey. People condemn whiskey. But they have no right to. Because when God created the Heaven & Earth, he created all things. He also created barley, rye, and he didn’t think that was good for man, he wouldn’t have let those things grow.”

Posted: 15 August 2007 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]

Have you locked down your hotel yet?

Right now, I have a reservation at the Crowne Plaza in Clayton. I am messing a bit with priceline just to see, but it’s not likely that they’ll bite at the price I’m bidding at. If we remain there, I want to try Iron Barley, but just in case we decide not to go there, I’d appreciate any recommendations for N. Central Ave. Thanks.

Posted: 15 August 2007 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]

Well, you guys can thank me for not coming if the weather manages to be below 100 that day.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 15 August 2007 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]

I don’t see any way for this game to live up to the hype. You guys have been talking about this since 2005.

Posted: 16 August 2007 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Urban Faber - 15 August 2007 09:56 PM

I don’t see any way for this game to live up to the hype. You guys have been talking about this since 2005.

It’s going four overtimes, with the winning score on a triple reverse flea-flicker. Oddly enough, however, the winning team will be Iowa.

Signature 

Is there aught we hold in common with the greedy parasite,
Who would lash us into serfdom and would crush us with his might?
Is there anything left to us but to organize and fight?

Posted: 16 August 2007 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
rLr Once Borrow Chico’s Soap And No Give It Back - 16 August 2007 12:42 AM
Urban Faber - 15 August 2007 09:56 PM

It’s going four overtimes, with the winning score on a triple reverse flea-flicker. Oddly enough, however, the winning team will be Iowa.

Ya got the colors really close.

Signature 

Posted: 17 August 2007 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]

I, too, expect NIU to give the Hawkeyes a good game at Soldier Field that day.

Posted: 17 August 2007 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]

Argh, my golden plan for 9/1/07! is not going to work.  I had hoped that we could drop the kids at my sister’s at around 10 and then have my wife’s parents pick them up late afternoon and take them back to their house, where we’re staying.  Well, my sister is still up for it, but my in-laws are now saying they’ll be out of town.  I never thought I’d be disappointed to here that.  This will cut into my post-game time.  I should add that my lovely wife, after I pouted about this for awhile, said “I could pick up the kids and you could stay out.”  She totally would do that.  She wouldn’t even make me feel too bad about it.  But, the guilt….  I’d feel some guilt. 

We’ll see how it plays out.  Still hoping to have some postgame time.  However, you have to remember that Tiger games usually last at least 3.5 hours….

Posted: 17 August 2007 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
DTS - 17 August 2007 02:21 PM

Argh, my golden plan for 9/1/07! is not going to work.  I had hoped that we could drop the kids at my sister’s at around 10 and then have my wife’s parents pick them up late afternoon and take them back to their house, where we’re staying.  Well, my sister is still up for it, but my in-laws are now saying they’ll be out of town.  I never thought I’d be disappointed to here that.  This will cut into my post-game time.  I should add that my lovely wife, after I pouted about this for awhile, said “I could pick up the kids and you could stay out.”  She totally would do that.  She wouldn’t even make me feel too bad about it.  But, the guilt….  I’d feel some guilt. 

We’ll see how it plays out.  Still hoping to have some postgame time.  However, you have to remember that Tiger games usually last at least 3.5 hours….

That sucks.  Do you know where you’re sitting, Mr. Luxury Box?  And how about you, Vince?  I think I mentioned my seats on the last page.

Signature 

Posted: 17 August 2007 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]

And how about you, Vince?

The tickets are at home. I’ll have to remember to post that sometime.

Posted: 17 August 2007 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]

Two weeks to go!

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2007 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]

Ticket information: Section 151, Row Q, Seats 19-20.

I tried Priceline again yesterday. I bid $60, and got no matches. But, I was told, I could bid again on the same dates and places (downtown, Clayton) if I raised my bid to $77/night. That booked us at the Sheraton in Clayton. So we’ll stay there instead of the Crowne Plaza in Clayton for $105/night.

Posted: 22 August 2007 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
VG - 22 August 2007 02:17 PM

Ticket information: Section 151, Row Q, Seats 19-20.

I tried Priceline again yesterday. I bid $60, and got no matches. But, I was told, I could bid again on the same dates and places (downtown, Clayton) if I raised my bid to $77/night. That booked us at the Sheraton in Clayton. So we’ll stay there instead of the Crowne Plaza in Clayton for $105/night.

I used to work in the Enterprise in that building.  You’re close to the Metro stop there.

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2007 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]

You’re close to the Metro stop there.

I saw that. It pleased me. It was what I was worried about when I raised the bid—that we would end up too far from the station to use it easily, and thus, spend the hotel savings on taxis.

Posted: 22 August 2007 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]

Ticket information:  Section 318, Row B, Seat 5.

Unfortunately, they don’t let just anyone into the Club seats….

Posted: 22 August 2007 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
VG - 22 August 2007 05:07 PM

You’re close to the Metro stop there.

I saw that. It pleased me. It was what I was worried about when I raised the bid—that we would end up too far from the station to use it easily, and thus, spend the hotel savings on taxis.

Clayton isn’t really large enough for that, I think just about every hotel would be an easy walk to the Metro, especially for those used to it.

Signature 

Posted: 23 August 2007 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]

Early reports have us tailgating at Washington and Broadway, in the MAC parking lot.  That also happens to be next to the Drury.  My friend is a member at MAC and works at 500 Broadway and is trying to make sure this is possible. 

In other news, college football news picks the Tigers to win 27-17.  Link to prove I’m not making this #### up.

Posted: 24 August 2007 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]

The Dubliner is at Washington and 11th and Broadway would be 5th street, for reference’s sake.  I have not heard from any of my friends as yet.

Signature 

Posted: 24 August 2007 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]

Then how did you get tickets there?

Posted: 24 August 2007 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
VG - 24 August 2007 02:24 PM

Then how did you get tickets there?

There is an inexplicable incongruity in my statement, huh?

Posted: 24 August 2007 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]

I just learned that the guy planning on sitting with us at the game is unable to come.  I have two tickets available, although I’ll probably swap those with friends who couldn’t get tickets with us.

Signature 

Posted: 27 August 2007 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]

Another news bulletin post: The friends that I plan to meet before the game have come into four free Cardinals-Reds tickets for Friday night, so TMG and I will be joining them for the game.

What does this have to do with Frank Tanana? I won’t feel bad if we show up a little later to my freinds’ tailgate in order to meetup before the game, which I think works out better for DTS.

Posted: 27 August 2007 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
VG - 27 August 2007 02:37 PM

Another news bulletin post: The friends that I plan to meet before the game have come into four free Cardinals-Reds tickets for Friday night, so TMG and I will be joining them for the game.

What does this have to do with Frank Tanana? I won’t feel bad if we show up a little later to my freinds’ tailgate in order to meetup before the game, which I think works out better for DTS.

Right now we’re hoping to be out for festivities from 11 to 7:30 or so.  Still waiting for confirmation.  I was hoping for an earlier start, to be honest, but this is probably the best we can do. 

Line has dropped to MU -4.5.

2 of 3