Members: Login | Register | Feedback

RB To Chicago (Actually happening soon this time)
Posted: 05 September 2007 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]

So I got a bit ahead ahead of myself on my last post on this topic, but this one will be a bit more relevant date wise.

I fly into town on 14, seeing the White Sox on the 15th, Cubs on the 17th and flying out the 18th. Other than that my schedule is wide open, so it’d be great to do a meet-up. I’m staying at the Best Western Grant Park but I’m a city guy so I get pretty much anywhere accessible by public transit given decent directions and some advance notice.

So, thoughts?

Posted: 05 September 2007 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]

I can definitely meet-up on the 16th. RB, we could start the day at the Globe pub (near the Irving Park stop on the Brown Line) for Premiership football that morning. My girlfriend is working that day anyway, so I’m free.

Edit: I’m not free on the 16th. See below.

Posted: 05 September 2007 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]

Sounds good.  I’m also going to the Cubs game on the 17th, so at worst we could meet up before the game.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 05 September 2007 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
VG - 05 September 2007 01:56 PM

I can definitely meet-up on the 16th. RB, we could start the day at the Globe pub (near the Irving Park stop on the Brown Line) for Premiership football that morning. My girlfriend is working that day anyway, so I’m free.

The Globe is terrific—great food too.  Aren’t most of the Premiership matches on Saturday, though?

Posted: 05 September 2007 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
deJesus Freakonomics - 05 September 2007 03:38 PM
VG - 05 September 2007 01:56 PM

The Globe is terrific—great food too.  Aren’t most of the Premiership matches on Saturday, though?

You mean you aren’t up for a thrilling mid-table confrontation as Villa and City do battle to see who will finish 11th this season? For shame!

Now having made such a mocking comment, I should say that I would absolutely watch that game, and since it is an 11:00 AM start that works for me.

Posted: 05 September 2007 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]

Aren’t most of the Premiership matches on Saturday, though?

They are. I may be there Saturday, too, to watch West Ham-‘Boro, although that match is supposed to be on Fox Soccer Channel, so maybe I’ll stay home that morning.

it is an 11:00 AM start that works for me.

10 a.m. here in the Central time zone, Mr. East Coast Bias.

Crap. I just remembered that I’m not free on the 16th. Crap. I’m taking my sister to the Sox game for her birthday, then out to dinner afterwards with TMG. Sorry, RB.

I could meet before the Cubs game on the 17th, or possibly on the 15th sometime—maybe even at the Globe that morning.

Posted: 05 September 2007 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]

I haven’t eaten at the Globe, but if you want to watch soccer and have good food I highly, highly recommend Ginger’s Ale House, which is only a couple of blocks or so from the Globe.

Signature 

“Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog.”  - Roger Ebert

“Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.” - Finley Dunne

Posted: 06 September 2007 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]

I have heard good things about Ginger’s, but I have not been there. I sort of feel loyal to the Globe at this point. I even bought a soccer scarf in Italy that I gave them to put up on the wall.

Posted: 06 September 2007 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]

So it looks like we have two major options, namely the 17th before the Cubs game (fine for me) or the morning/afternoon of the 15th (also fine for me). I guess whichever works for most people is what we’ll go with, since it’s all the same from my prespective.

Oh, since I’m picking people’s brains, any suggestions on a pizza place? Figure I ought eat it since I’m in town.

Posted: 06 September 2007 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RB in NYC (Now with Pension!) - 06 September 2007 02:40 PM

So it looks like we have two major options, namely the 17th before the Cubs game (fine for me) or the morning/afternoon of the 15th (also fine for me). I guess whichever works for most people is what we’ll go with, since it’s all the same from my prespective.

Oh, since I’m picking people’s brains, any suggestions on a pizza place? Figure I ought eat it since I’m in town.

Gino’s East is my favorite, and there’s a coule of locations around.  I also like Lou Malnati’s.

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2007 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
VG - 06 September 2007 01:45 PM

I have heard good things about Ginger’s, but I have not been there. I sort of feel loyal to the Globe at this point. I even bought a soccer scarf in Italy that I gave them to put up on the wall.

I appreciate loyalty, but I suggest trying it at least once.  Especially if it’s a game your team’s not involved in.  I’m sure I’ve mentioned it you before, but that’s where I went for the World Cup Final last year, and it was just a great time.

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2007 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]

Gino’s East is my favorite

Mine, too.

I appreciate loyalty, but I suggest trying it at least once.  Especially if it’s a game your team’s not involved in.  I’m sure I’ve mentioned it you before, but that’s where I went for the World Cup Final last year, and it was just a great time.

Maybe I will. We’ll see. *shrugs*

Posted: 08 September 2007 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]

Gino’s East it is.

Let’s say Saturday morning, that will encourage to me to get out of bed and have the whole day instead of sleeping until 11 or something. The 15th at the Globe Pub work for everyone? Or at least more people than not.

Posted: 10 September 2007 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]

I’m definitely in for Saturday morning. West Ham-Middlesborough kicks off at 9 a.m., so I’ll shoot for 8:30 a.m. at the Globe.

RB, you’ll want to take the Brown Line to the Irving Park stop and then head west about a block to the Globe. It’s on the north side of the street. I’ll email you my cellphone number.

Posted: 13 September 2007 02:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]

No one else game for the early meet-up? Is Monday more likely to attract a crowd? Or does my reputation proceed me and all the members of the Chicagoland Mafia are unwilling to meet?

Posted: 13 September 2007 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]

Moses and I talked about it in the Lounge yesterday. He can come by after softball, around noon. scotto had not gotten word of this thread, but at least he’s aware of it now.

My plan is to arrive early for West Ham, and stay for the 11:15 a.m. game, too. TMG will meet us around that time. I’m planning to have lunch there with her.

Posted: 14 September 2007 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]

Note: There is a good chance that we will be decamping to O’Donovan’s, 2100 W. Irving Park Road (about two-three blocks from the Globe) around 11 a.m. Moses pointed out that the Illini-Syracuse game starts at 11 a.m., and the Globe is unlikely to show it.