Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Game Chatter > Discussion
Game Chatter
— Where Thinking Fans Discuss Today's Games

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. bunyon Posted: October 16, 2006 at 01:37 PM (#2213659)
The Mets should send a covert team out to remove the tarp from the field.

And, first.
   2. Richard Gadsden Posted: October 16, 2006 at 02:30 PM (#2213710)
This is not going to get played if they don't even try to start until 7:19pm (local). Might have a chance of diving in and out of showers and getting in nine innings if they started at 1pm and kept going till midnight.

So rain-delay this till Tuesday, and then back to NY for a rain-delay Wednesday and then games six and seven Thursday/Friday.

Second longest post-season series (after the Earthquake Series) since when? I know in the very early days, the travel gaps in the World Series could make the Series spread out over most of October.
   3. Sam M. Posted: October 16, 2006 at 02:33 PM (#2213714)
The Mets should send a covert team out to remove the tarp from the field.

If necessary, they should hire Crash Davis to sneak in to the stadium and guarantee a rainout. Too much at stake to count on Mother Nature.
   4. David Wrightwing obstructionist Posted: October 16, 2006 at 04:18 PM (#2213815)
Matt congrats on getting to attend game 6. I envy you.

I hope its our clincher.

Please, please, please win this game fellas.

If we do make it to the WS, we are gonna need an 88 Dodgers like performance but from our pitching.
   5. Russlan is fond of Dillon Gee Posted: October 16, 2006 at 05:01 PM (#2213902)
If the Mets make it to the WS and Hernandez is able to pitch, here are some reasons to be optimistic:

From June 30 to the end of the season, El Duque put up the following numbers:

3.60 ERA, 85 IP, 9.00 k/9, 2.83 k/bb, .95 hr/9, 3.81 FIPS.

That includes one outing where he was forced to stay in a game to save the bullpen because Pedro had injured himself the night before. He gave up 11 ER in those 4 innings. He put up the following numbers not including that start:

2.56 ERA, 8.89 k/9, 3.08 k/bb, .78 hr/9, 1.07 WHIP. 3.50 FIPS.

Those are some pretty numbers. In addition, the Tigers are about as good a matchup for him as you could hope for. El Duque dominates righthanders, .614 OPS against this year, while struggling against lefthanders, .914 OPS against, and the Tigers don't have a fearsome lefthanded hitter other than Guillen.

El Duque has always been a pretty good pitcher when he's right. I wouldn't be surprised if he pitched against the Tigers.
   6. The Wilpons Must Go (Tom D) Posted: October 16, 2006 at 05:25 PM (#2213940)
It was thirty-seven years ago today...
   7. David Wrightwing obstructionist Posted: October 16, 2006 at 05:58 PM (#2213986)
From Mets MLB.com page:

Delgado, whose nine RBIs in the series equal Gary Carter's club postseason record from the '86 World Series

How scary is that, Carter really is what put us over the top then and Delgado now. Loving it, I just enjoy watching Delgado having a good time out there. It would be priceless to watch him and Cliff get that ring. Don't get me wrong, I know we are in a dogfight, just saying.
   8. Old Matt Posted: October 16, 2006 at 06:14 PM (#2214008)
It looks like "AM Rain" for Wednesday in Flushing, so they will probably play it out like:

Game 5 - Tues
Game 6 - Wed
Game 7 - Thurs
   9. Sam M. Posted: October 16, 2006 at 06:29 PM (#2214028)
It was thirty-seven years ago today...

. . . . Sgt. Hodges taught the band to play.
   10. Karl from NY Posted: October 16, 2006 at 06:55 PM (#2214066)
Do we really want a rainout tonight? If Glavine goes tonight, then he's ready for Game 1 (and 5) of the World Series on full rest. And Weaver's also going on short rest - why does the extra day benefit Glavine significantly more than him?

And speaking of priceless players getting rings, how can anyone not pull for Julio Franco to land one?
   11. The Wilpons Must Go (Tom D) Posted: October 16, 2006 at 06:57 PM (#2214070)
BTW, great defense from The Stache throughout this postseason. He plays second base like he teaches it at the University of Louisville.
   12. The Wilpons Must Go (Tom D) Posted: October 16, 2006 at 07:00 PM (#2214072)
Do we really want a rainout tonight?

It doesn't matter. Our preferences will not affect the outcome.
   13. Sam M. Posted: October 16, 2006 at 07:00 PM (#2214073)
Do we really want a rainout tonight? If Glavine goes tonight, then he's ready for Game 1 (and 5) of the World Series on full rest.

I guess you could argue that. But we have to get the advantage in THIS series, and I'll take my chances with Glavine on full rest, even if it also puts Weaver on full rest. If things are OK with El Duque, they can slot him in for Game 1 of the World Series and then Glavine follows him in Game 2.
   14. Sam M. Posted: October 16, 2006 at 07:05 PM (#2214086)
Do we really want a rainout tonight? If Glavine goes tonight, then he's ready for Game 1 (and 5) of the World Series on full rest.

I guess you could argue that. But we have to get the advantage in THIS series, and I'll take my chances with Glavine on full rest, even if it also puts Weaver on full rest. If things are OK with El Duque, they can slot him in for Game 1 of the World Series and then Glavine follows him in Game 2.
   15. HowardMegdal Posted: October 16, 2006 at 07:06 PM (#2214087)
It sure seems like I might as well get excited about the Rutgers/Pitt game tonight as the Mets/Cards. Both are happening this week, neither seem to be happening today.
   16. Sam M. Posted: October 16, 2006 at 07:09 PM (#2214091)
It sure seems like I might as well get excited about the Rutgers/Pitt game tonight as the Mets/Cards. Both are happening this week, neither seem to be happening today.

One difference: The winner of Mets/Cards is actually going to win something. The winner of Rutgers/Pitt is just going to get mauled by an angry, raging Cardinal.
   17. David Wrightwing obstructionist Posted: October 16, 2006 at 07:12 PM (#2214095)
And speaking of priceless players getting rings, how can anyone not pull for Julio Franco to land one?

Yes I hope they all get rings, Jose Reyes might be ridiculously entertaining to watch and all the post-series interviews would be great, we would probably need translators.

If they want to mail me one, I'm cool with it to(and I hate wearing rings)
   18. HowardMegdal Posted: October 16, 2006 at 07:14 PM (#2214099)
"The winner of Rutgers/Pitt is just going to get mauled by an angry, raging Cardinal."

Well, your quarterback is certainly a renaissance man. From NY Times today:

"When the public-address system boomed Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline,” you were thankful that it hadn’t been “Brahm’s Lullaby,” or 77,439 Jets loyalists would have been snoring."

Do you think Rutgers will start to get national title talk with a win at Pitt? Or will it take a win hosting Louisville?
   19. HowardMegdal Posted: October 16, 2006 at 07:38 PM (#2214131)
Mind you, I'm not predicting either. It sure would be exciting if they did, and Rutgers in my lifetime has never been a win or two from entertaining that question. A win or two from avoiding a winless season, sure.
   20. Free Rob Base Posted: October 16, 2006 at 07:48 PM (#2214148)
Do you think Rutgers will start to get national title talk with a win at Pitt?

As is they are number 9 in the computer rankings, so yes.
   21. Antigonos Posted: October 16, 2006 at 07:56 PM (#2214159)
Do you think Rutgers will start to get national title talk with a win at Pitt? Or will it take a win hosting Louisville?

Def not after the Pitt game (esp. considering they are 7 point underdogs and Pitt isn't even ranked)...perhaps after Louisville. But realistically, any NC talk for RU would likely come after an undefeated Rutgers beats WVU on the road in the final game of the season. I still think too many people have a hard time beleiving RU is any good. Hell, i'm an alum and fan and have a hard time myself.

But all that will never happen of course...Teel and their DB's are too crappy. I say 8-3 finish and hopefully pull out a win in a bowl game.
   22. Free Rob Base Posted: October 16, 2006 at 08:09 PM (#2214177)
esp. considering they are 7 point underdogs and Pitt isn't even ranked

Granted -- but if the rankings went to 30, Pitt would be number 26. So they are pretty good. A Rutgers win on the road against a nearly ranked opponent, coupled with a few more teams ahead of them losing, could have Rutgers sniffing the top 10. As I said before they are already number 9 with the computers. That defense looks pretty fearsome.
   23. HowardMegdal Posted: October 16, 2006 at 08:10 PM (#2214178)
"I say 8-3 finish and hopefully pull out a win in a bowl game."

That seems about right to me as well. But if they beat Pitt, UConn and Louisville, they'll be 9-0 with a win over (presuming no slip-ups) a previously-unbeaten top-10 Louisville team. At that point, they've got to at least be in the conversation.

With Mike McMahon even, I feel like a 11-1 season isn't out of reach.
   24. HowardMegdal Posted: October 16, 2006 at 08:12 PM (#2214180)
I'd feel, rather. I'm aware McMahon isn't coming back.
   25. Antigonos Posted: October 16, 2006 at 08:25 PM (#2214201)
For Rutgers it all comes down to Mike Teel...if he can mature and step up they could be really really good. I missed the game, but from his numbers and the highlights, he looked much better against Navy. He does have some legit weapons to throw too...especially Clark Harris. Underwood is also looking better and better each game. But man, he has Eli Manning disease 2/3rds of the time and overthrows everyone. He's only a sophmore so he still has some growing to do... But I sure do wish they still had Ryan Hart for one more season.
   26. HowardMegdal Posted: October 16, 2006 at 08:34 PM (#2214225)
"For Rutgers it all comes down to Mike Teel...if he can mature and step up they could be really really good."

Unfortunately, my guess is that happens next year at the earliest. On the other hand, if Schiano can keep the supporting cast strong for him, we may be thankful he had his growing pains this year.

But you're right- if he can just limit mistakes, with RU's defense and running attack, they should be able to stay with anyone.
   27. Antigonos Posted: October 16, 2006 at 08:51 PM (#2214259)
How strange is it to be able to discuss Rutgers Football and not be laughed at?
   28. Bob Koo Posted: October 16, 2006 at 08:55 PM (#2214268)
from MetsBlog:
According to the Associated Press, citing the National Weather Service, there is a 100 percent chance that it will rain at the start of tonight’s game between the Mets and Cardinals in St. Louis…

…the tarp has been on the field for hours, so hopefully things will stay dry under there…most reports suggest the rain will turn to drizzle mid-way through the night…from what i can gather out of a mets fan who works high up for fox, the likely scenario tonight could be a quick delay and a game that starts later than expected…but it will get played…
   29. HowardMegdal Posted: October 16, 2006 at 08:55 PM (#2214270)
"How strange is it to be able to discuss Rutgers Football and not be laughed at?"

I tried explaining to my wife- I told her that as strange as it is to see the Mets in the LCS, it is approximately 10,000 times odder that Rutgers was still undefeated.
   30. Sam M. Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:00 PM (#2214274)
I am shocked, actually, that Rutgers is as high as 9th in the computers, given that I can't really see who they've beaten that justifies it. But honestly, I think they really ARE good. And I worry that if Louisville does beat W. Virginia, we have to play at Rutgers the very next week -- and the letdown potential has to be off the charts for that one.

By the time that game is played, I expect Brohm to be sharp (he definitely was not against Cincinnati, his first game back from the injury). If Rutgers' defense can hold our attack down, more power to 'em.
   31. Old Matt Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:03 PM (#2214280)
I'll be at the Syracuse-Rutgers game in Piscataway Thanksgiving weekend, should be fun.
   32. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:04 PM (#2214285)
I'm pleased to see the Rutgers hijack in the Mets chatter!

Honestly, I'm loving the season but I'm having a pretty hard time getting too excited about it. When you look at each game, can you honestly say Rutgers has won a single they shouldn't have? The remarkable thing about this season is not that they're winning games they shouldn't have, but that they haven't spit the bit in a game they could be easily expected to win (they almost did against USF).

The Navy blowout was nice, but how much different is that game if Navy's qb doesn't get injured?

That being said, this Pitt game is the big game of the season. They will steamroll UConn at home, so if they can pull this one out on the road they will be facing Louisville at home with an 8-0 record. I think they can hang with Louisville at home. I doubt they can do anything but get stomped by WVU on the road, but if they are still undefeated by that point (cincinatti should be a walk), they could very well be playing to get into the BCS title game. God, that sounds insane, but it's possible!
   33. Antigonos Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:05 PM (#2214286)
I am shocked, actually, that Rutgers is as high as 9th in the computers, given that I can't really see who they've beaten that justifies it.

9 is too high...but the computers are always wacky. For me, the Pitt game was always the big marker on their schedule. I was just hoping they could get there undefeated (road victories against South Florida and Navy is never a given for Rutgers). If they can win this week at Pitt...i'll have a much easier time beleiving they are as good as they've looked and i'll start to get really excited about the Louisville game.
   34. HowardMegdal Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:09 PM (#2214293)
Rad games against New Hampshire are never a given for Rutgers!

Pitt has gotten off to a fast start- but they make our schedule look like Notre Dame's...

I'd not look past UConn, either. This is Rutgers. We need not look past every game. So far, so good.

And I think assuming we'd easily win in S. Florida is incorrect. A game we could have won, yes, but a road game against a quality opponent is far from a sure thing.
   35. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:10 PM (#2214296)
And the sad thing is, this will be the first RU season in 7 years that I won't get to at least one game. I was there in 2002 when they were leading Miami in the 4th quarter. That was bizarre. It was the first time I'd ever felt like I was at a real college football game at Rutgers stadium.
   36. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:11 PM (#2214299)
You're right about South Florida. That was a quality win, but, honestly, they should have won more easily than on a dropped two point conversion.
   37. HowardMegdal Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:12 PM (#2214302)
"And the sad thing is, this will be the first RU season in 7 years that I won't get to at least one game."

It's a weird schedule this year. The weekends I've been free were these last few road games.

I usually went to Rutgers-Temple, out of self-defense, mostly.
   38. HowardMegdal Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:15 PM (#2214310)
"That was a quality win, but, honestly, they should have won more easily than on a dropped two point conversion."

Kind of a fluke play- they don't get the FG blocked, they probably win by double figures.
   39. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:16 PM (#2214311)
In 1998 I saw every home game, plus Navy and BC on the road as I was in the Marching Band!

It would probably be a lot more fun to be in the Marching Band now. Back then Donovan McNabb was hanging 400 total offensive yard games on them.
   40. Antigonos Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:17 PM (#2214313)
I got to the Illinois game this year...by the time we made it off the buses from the RAC lots to the stadium it was already 20-0 RU. It still seems like Rutgers isn't used to having to accomodate large crowds at the games. Long lines for the buses...but also my fault for drinking too long in the lots.

Still, was a fun game and was the moment where I feel like the season really started feeling special. Shutting out a big ten and all...granted, in hindsight it's not saying much to beat Illiois, but still....
   41. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:20 PM (#2214322)
In 1998 Terry Shea won Big East coach of the year in a season where the signature victory was a 7-6 thrashing of I-AA Richmond. Well, they also beat Army and Navy, but you know.
   42. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:25 PM (#2214328)
Agreed about Rutgers stadium handling sellout crowds. At the Navy game last year they had ONE will call window, and the line stretched almost around the stadium. I missed the entire first quarter despite getting there in plenty of time, as I was stuck in the damn will call line. The worst part is 5 different scalpers walked by me and offered me tickets for cheaper than I'd paid.
   43. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:28 PM (#2214333)
I just think it's cool to hear them talk about Rutgers on Mike and the Mad Dog. Don't know why. Do they still laugh off Rutgers or are they getting into it? I havent listend in a while.
   44. Free Rob Base Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:37 PM (#2214344)
Some Cards fan is going to show and think he clicked the wrong thread - if not the wrong site.
   45. HowardMegdal Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:40 PM (#2214348)
"Do they still laugh off Rutgers or are they getting into it? I havent listend in a while."

I'm pretty sure they blame Rutgers' failure to be ranked in the top 10 on Cory Lidle.
   46. HowardMegdal Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:42 PM (#2214354)
No game tonight, says MLB.com.
   47. Van Lingle Mungo Jerry Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:47 PM (#2214362)
Yup, it's official.
   48. Sam M. Posted: October 16, 2006 at 09:49 PM (#2214365)
But all that will never happen of course...Teel and their DB's are too crappy. I say 8-3 finish and hopefully pull out a win in a bowl game.

Is that accurate? Rutgers has crappy DBs? If so, they haven't got a prayer against Louisville. The Cardinals will put up 60 points against any team that can't cover receivers, period. Even if you've got a pass rush, it won't matter, because Louisville has good enough runners to keep a pass rush honest. You need coverage DBs against Louisville, at least once Brohm gets sharp again.
   49. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: October 16, 2006 at 10:18 PM (#2214398)
Nooooooooooooooo. Play tonight :(
   50. Dr. Vaux Posted: October 16, 2006 at 11:33 PM (#2214455)
MLB wants one New York team in the World Series...
   51. Sam M. Posted: October 16, 2006 at 11:46 PM (#2214466)

I am equally cynical, Vaux, but in a different direction: Fox wants to have the play-off game get the best possible ratings. It'll get those (a) starting on-time tomorrow night, rather than seeing the audience melt away after a rain delay tonight, and (b) when it's not up against the NFL on ESPN. I don't know if this could have been played, but I bet anything Fox is happy to have it go tomorrow night, and will get better ratings for it then.
   52. Dr. Vaux Posted: October 17, 2006 at 12:16 AM (#2214492)
Well, that's true too. I guess they win on both counts :)
   53. billyshears Posted: October 17, 2006 at 12:24 AM (#2214498)

They can always suspend Pujols.
   54. Dan Broderick Posted: October 17, 2006 at 12:53 AM (#2214528)
I'm pleased to see the Rutgers hijack in the Mets chatter!

Nothing really to add about Rutgers football except I played in high school with Marco Battaglia who was a big time TE with Rutgers a few years back (I guess at least 10 now).

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
rr
for his generous support.

Hot Topics

Tigers (12-9) @ Twins (12-11), Sunday, April 27, 2014, 2:10pm
(1 - 8:19pm, May 30)
Last: Barry`s_Lazy_Boy

Yankees (12-8) @ Red Sox (9-12), Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 7:10pm