Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Gonfalon Cubs > Discussion
Gonfalon Cubs
— Cubs Baseball for Thinking Fans

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Spring Training

It’s kind of hard to remember a less inspiring - or maybe I should say a more uninspiring - offseason for the Cubs in some time.  Sure, there were many, many, MANY years where we knew going into the season they would be bad - or even worse, unwatchable; some of those years the Cubs were trying to sell that they were going to be good or there was a longer rebuild coming; we’ve also gone through plenty of offseason off-field drama.  There was just something this year that seemed to bug me more.  Maybe it’s being spoiled since they won the World Series.  Maybe it’s the fact that they’re still good, but last year ended so unfun.  Maybe it’s them just sitting on their hands instead of actively trying to improve.  The Russell and Joe Ricketts stuff also didn’t help.  It’s probably just a combination of all of them.  I also am already tired of Maddon’s sayings and don’t really care what this year’s theme is. 

I’m still going to spring training again this year, probably more out of habit (and cause my son loves it so much) that actual excitement for the season the start.  I listened to Theo’s press conference yesterday, and I actually think he did a really good job answering the various offseason questions (though there just isn’t a good answer for the not spending more question).  I think the Cubs potentially could be really good again this year - I don’t see how they fall to .500 without major injuries like PETCOA is projecting.  I’d be more excited if the Cubs used the excuse of finally launching their own RSN to make another big payroll splash. 

Regardless, figured I might as well put up a new thread and I’ll post various ST news and notes as they pop up.  I plan to do my annual predictions thread closer to the start of the season.

Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: February 13, 2019 at 10:21 AM | 36 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dingbat_Charlie
for his generous support.